Located Across the River from New York City
Since 1870, Stevens’ residential, park-like campus has been located atop Castle Point on Hudson in Hoboken, New Jersey, overlooking the Hudson River and the entire New York City skyline. This close proximity enables students to easily interact with working professionals through cooperative education, internships, and industry mentorships. Undergraduates also take advantage of the multitude of cultural and social opportunities not found on any other college campus.
Travel Directions to Campus
Hoboken is approximately one square mile in area and is located on the New Jersey bank of the Hudson River between the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels.
Download Campus Map
By Public Transportation
From New York City
From Points West of the Hudson River
From New York City
From Northern New Jersey and George Washington Bridge
From Upper New York State
From Points West and North West of Hoboken
From Points South West of Hoboken and Newark Liberty Airport
From Points South of Hoboken Via the Garden State Parkway
Once on Campus
Edwin A. Stevens Hall originally housed Stevens at its inception in 1870. It now contains the beautifully restored Grace E. and Kenneth W. DeBaun Auditorium, a state-of-the-art facility, and also the site of the first organizational meeting of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), April 7, 1880. This building is used for academic purposes and houses the Charles V. Schaefer, Jr. School of Engineering, the office of the Provost and the University Vice President, as well as classrooms and laboratories of the mechanical engineering department. The Engineering Design Laboratory and an anechoic chamber for conducting acoustical and noise control research are also in Edwin A. Stevens Hall.
The Burchard Building, completed in 1958, houses the offices and facilities of electrical and computer engineering, materials engineering, physics and engineering physics. The surface modification research facility, with several state-of-the art microscopes is located here. There is also a large theater for class lectures and weekly movies hosted by the undergraduate Student Government Association.
The Carnegie Laboratory of Engineering was given to the Institute by the late Andrew Carnegie, a Trustee, in 1901. It houses the Design & Manufacturing Institute (DMI), as well as nano-technology laboratory, a modern clean room and computer-aided manufacturing facility for the mechanical engineering department.
Founded in 1935, Davidson Laboratory, located west of the center of campus, is one of the largest and most internationally-renowned hydrodynamics and ocean engineering research facilities. It is the home of a multi-university Research Center for Maritime Security funded by the Department of Homeland Security to address shoreline and port threats and vulnerabilities.
The Griffith Building, completed in 1971 and named for Earl L. Griffith, a member of the Class of 1923 and a former Trustee, houses the offices, maintenance shops and stock rooms of the Physical Plant Department.
The Lieb Building is home to the the Wireless Network Security Center (WiNSeC) and the computer science department.
A majority of the facilities are utilized by the Stevens chemistry, chemical biology, biomedical and chemical engineering programs are located in the McClean building. The Highly Filled Materials Institute (HFMI) and the New Jersey Center for Microchemical Systems are located in this building, as well.
The Morton-Pierce-Kidde Complex contains the offices of the College of Arts and Letters, which is home to the humanities programs, including Art & Technology and Music & Technology. This complex also houses 21 classrooms, a lecture hall, seminar rooms, laboratories and a student lounge.
The Lawrence T. Babbio, Jr. Center for Technology Management, a six-story, 95,000 square-foot structure serves as the signature headquarters for the Wesley J. Howe School of Technology Management and the School of System & Enterprises at Stevens Institute of Technology. Designed as a world-class infrastructure, the Babbio Center provides a technically advanced learning environment that promotes creative interaction while enabling wireless access to up-to-the-moment information. The center features 14 classrooms with varied levels of multimedia and distance learning capability; a 125-seat auditorium; a Main Atrium; a Technical Center and Main Mezzanine Study Lounge; 6 conference centers and a Business Research/Computer Lab; 10 Student Breakout Areas and 31 faculty offices; and a highly flexible development space with capacity to respond to market needs.
Created by the Center for Environmental Engineering (CEE), the James C. Nicoll, Jr. Environmental Laboratory is a research and testing facility with multimedia capabilities for wastewater, liquid waste, solid waste, soil and air studies. An early leader in environmental engineering, Stevens built the Nicoll Lab to fortify its long-standing commitment to environmental protection through innovative and advanced technologies.
The Vincent A. Rocco Technology Center is named after the late Vincent A. Rocco, class of 1967. Located on River Street, south of the athletic field, it houses the offices and laboratories for the civil, environmental and ocean engineering.
The S.C. Williams Library, located at the center of campus just west of the Wesley J. Howe Center, offers just-in-time service tailored to the needs of Stevens faculty, students and staff. America?s Cup, a comfortable café adjacent to the library, offers additional study areas in a casual setting. Beneath the library is the Computer Center, which serves the computational needs of the Institute, and the Computer Service Center. The Kenneth J. Altorfer Academic Complex, opened in 2011, is named in honor of Stevens alumnus Kenneth J. Altorfer, Class of 1950. Located on River Street, it houses faculty offices and classroom space.
The Kenneth J. Altorfer Academic Complex, opened in 2011, is named in honor of Stevens alumnus Kenneth J. Altorfer, Class of 1950. Located on River Street, it houses faculty offices and classroom space.
Getting to Know Campus: Administrative Buildings & Facilities
The Charles V. Schaefer, Jr. Athletic and Recreation Center was named after the late Charles V. Schaefer, Jr., class of 1936 and Chairman Emeritus of the Board of Trustees. Built in 1994, this magnificent 63,000-square-foot complex includes the Canavan Arena, a gymnasium with seating for 1,400, an indoor training center with a multiple purpose floor, a fitness-exercise room, swimming pool and jacuzzi and three combination squash-racquetball courts. Offices and locker rooms also support the physical education, athletic and recreation programs in the Schaefer Center.
DeBaun Field, located directly behind the Schaefer Center, features a state-of-the-art FieldTurf synthetic playing surface. The facility is home to the varsity field hockey, soccer, baseball and lacrosse teams as well as a number of club and intramural sports. Other outdoor facilities include six tennis courts (two of which are lit) and a beach volleyball court.
The William Hall Walker Gymnasium, built in 1916, is named for its donor and serves as an adjunct athletic and recreational facility. The building has just undergone a major renovation project and features a new gymnasium and elevated indoor track, five locker rooms, a recruiting/meeting room, nine new offices and the 4,000 square-foot Class of 1949 Strength and Conditioning Center for student-athletes. Stevens also has a unique partnership with the neighboring town of Weehawken and many student-athletes utilize Weehawken Waterfront Park throughout the school year. The facility, opened in September of 2007 along the banks of the Hudson River, is home to the softball team and provides extra practice space for the cross country, track and field, lacrosse and soccer teams throughout the year.
The Gatehouse, entrance to the original Stevens Family Estate, houses the Campus Police. Since Stevens is a residential campus for its undergraduates, the residence halls are conveniently sprinkled throughout and within a short walking distance of classrooms, laboratories, dining areas and recreational facilities.
Castle Point Apartments provide apartment-style living for upperclassmen in newly-renovated studio apartments. Davis Hall, named in honor of Harvey N. Davis, third president of the Institute, provides housing for 200 female and male freshmen. Humphreys Hall is named for Alexander C. Humphreys, second president of the Institute, and houses 160 male and female students, in addition to WEXP, Stevens? television station. Hayden Hall is a gift from the Hayden Foundation and accommodates 135 male and female students. The Lore-El Center, provides specialized housing for 13 female upper-class students in single and double occupancy. Palmer Hall, named for Edgar Palmer, a former trustee, provides housing for 90 upper-class students in single and quad occupancy. Jonas Hall contains double rooms with private bathrooms and houses 216 male and female upper-class students. The newest addition, River Terrace, features apartment style living for up to 144 males and female students.
Adjacent to some of our residence halls is the Jacobus Student Center. Jacobus houses most student activity offices, lounges, a large-screen TV, the Health Services Center, the office of the campus chaplain, a game room, the campus radio station, student publications offices, a dark room and a snack bar. It also provides a lively focus for specialized student-life programs.
The Wesley J. Howe Center houses the Student Service Center and many of the administrative offices and other non-academic facilities. This includes the newly-renovated Pierce Dining Hall, the Campus Store, Colonel John's, a U.S. Post Office, and the bowling alley. Throughout the year, the Howe Center is also the site of many social events.
Hoxie House, a gift of William D. Hoxie, Class of 1889, was built in 1929 and is the residence of the president of Stevens, and his/her family.