Graduate Student Financial Information

Tuition and Matriculation Maintenance

Tuition for graduate courses for the 2013-2014 academic year for courses offered by the School of Engineering and Science and the College of Arts and Letters, as well as all courses in the Executive Master of Technology Management (EMTM), is $1,340 per credit hour (not inclusive of other mandatory fees). Students who have completed all required credits, and who need to maintain matriculation while completing a thesis, special problem, dissertation, project, or other degree requirements, must enroll for Maintenance for Matriculation (D 999) and pay a $450 fee per semester, in addition to any other required fees.

Other Fees
For the 2013-2014 academic year, students are required to pay a $205 general enrollment fee for each semester they are enrolled in classes, part of which is used to support graduate activities. All graduate students must also pay a Technology Fee of $15 per credit, to a maximum of $180 per semester. Certain classes may have additional laboratory fees and course materials fees. The amounts of those fees vary and are specific to the departments and locations. A $115 fee for binding three copies of the thesis is required in advance of the last term of study for the Master?s and Ph.D. degrees. A $125 microfilming fee is also required for the Ph.D. degree. There is a $110 late fee for Change of Enrollment forms submitted after the Add/Drop deadline, and a $88 fee if you submit your Application for Candidacy after the due date. Stevens requires all degree-seeking graduating students to pay a $270 graduation fee ($80 for students seeking a graduate certificate). There is a $50 fee for checks that are returned by the bank. There is a $10 fee to replace student ID cards. There is a $550 late payment fee and various deferred payment fees, depending on the option chosen.


Stevens will release a student's transcript upon request, provided that his/her account is not overdue and that he/she requests the transcript in writing. Students should allow approximately one week to process the transcript. The transcript is sent directly by Stevens in a sealed envelope to the requested party. Stevens will only release an official transcript directly to the student in a sealed envelope. All transcripts are sent by U.S. mail, unless other arrangements are made. If a student needs the transcript(s) in less than one week, he/she is required to pay for overnight, two-day, or priority mail. All transcript requests must be made in writing over the student’s signature or directly from a Stevens email address. No verbal requests for transcripts will be honored under any circumstances, nor will any requests from a third party, unless the student has signed a release for the transcript to that third party.

To top

Health Insurance

All full-time students are required by the State of New Jersey to have health insurance. Copies of the insurance brochure can be viewed online by visiting All full-time students (9 credits or more) are charged $1297 annually for health insurance unless they have equivalent coverage. Students may go to and click on "Stevens Institute of Technology" to submit an online waiver of the Institute coverage by a specific deadline designated each semester by Stevens. All full-time students are also charged a $90.00 health service fee per semesters. Optional Health Insurance is also available to all part-time students and to students' spouses and children. The brochure and rate information is available on our wesite at

To top

International Students

All international graduate students will be charged a $170.00 International Student Orientation Fee. Additionally, international students will also be charged a $115.00 International Student Service Fee for the fall and spring semesters.

Books and Supplies

All required textbooks may be purchased at the Campus Store or through the Campus Store web site at They will ship textbooks via UPS directly to any address requested by the student, for the cost of the textbooks plus the UPS charge. The Campus Store accepts Duck Bills, American Express, MasterCard, and Visa.

Graduate Student Housing

If a student wishes to live in Stevens Graduate Housing, he/she may apply online at A $400 non-refundable deposit must accompany all completed applications. The deposit will be applied to the housing costs. If a student decides not to occupy his/her room, the deposit will be forfeited.

Graduate residences are all off campus. The rates per semester for the 2013-2014 academic year are:

  • 1036 Park Avenue, shared occupancy $3,700
  • 1036 Park Avenue, single occupancy $400
  • Curling Club, double occupancy $6,050
  • 800 Madison, double occupancy $5,950

Please note: Other housing options may be offered to graduate students based on availability. Also, there is an additional charge for summer housing. Please contact the Office of Residence Life for additional details.

To top

Meal Plans

Graduate students, while not required, are welcome to be on any meal plan. For more information, please visit or contact the Office of Residence Life at (201) 216-5128 or

Payment Options

Payment may be made in U.S. dollars either by cash, check, in person at the Student Service Center. Checks should be made payable to Stevens Institute of Technology. Your campus-wide ID number should be included on the check. Students may also pay their bills on the Internet from any browser by accessing or

Prompt payment of student account balances ensures students keep the classes they selected and their advance housing selections. Grade reports and transcripts will be withheld if any balance remains unpaid. Balances paid after the due date will result in a late payment fee of $550.00. Amounts paid with checks returned by the bank will result in additional fees.

Deferred Payments
If a student is not able to pay his/her bill in full at the time of registration, he/she is required to meet with a representative from Student Financial Services. There is a $75 fee to defer up to 50 percent of the tuition and fees for six weeks. If an employer is assuming responsibility for payment of tuition and fees following the end of the semester, students may remain registered without payment by selecting the Employer Reimbursement Bridge Plan Agreement offered in the fall and spring semesters only. There is an additional $150 fee per semester for selecting this option.

Students with unmet financial obligations are not considered to have valid registrations. They are not allowed to attend classes, receive transcripts or grades, participate in graduation ceremonies, or receive their diploma. If a student withdraws or graduates from Stevens with a balance due, Stevens will actively try to collect the unpaid balance. This may include referring the delinquent account to a credit reporting agency and/or collection agency.

Monthly Payment Plan 
To assist graduate students, Stevens participates in a monthly payment plan. An installment program can be arranged through Tuition Management Systems (TMS) or Sallie Mae Tuition Pay. The fall semester, four-payment plan begins August 1st and ends November 1st. The spring semester four-payment plan begins January 1st and ends April 1st. Brochures about this program are available from the Student Service Center. Stevens neither sponsors nor has a financial interest in this program, but allows students who have enrolled in the program to attend classes, reside on campus, and participate in other Institute activities while payments are being made to the provider.

Late Payment Fees
There is a $550 fee assessed on late payments, unless a student is enrolled in a deferred payment plan or has made other arrangements with a Student Financial Services representative. If the student is enrolled in a deferred payment plan or has made other arrangements, and that payment is received late, he/she will be assessed the $550 late fee. This late fee cannot be waived. Please refer all questions to the Director of Student Financial Services at (201) 216-5555.

To top

Withdrawals and Refunds

Students who enroll and decide not to attend class for any reason must officially withdraw from classes online at or by completing the Drop section of the Change of Enrollment form. The Change of Enrollment form must be submitted to the Student Service Center. Depending upon the date of withdrawal, professors' approval and/or the Dean of Graduate Academics' approval may be required prior to dropping a class (please refer to the current Academic Calendar). The date submitted to the Student Service Center will determine the official withdrawal date for tuition and fees. Students must officially withdraw from housing and/or meal plans in writing to the Office of Residence Life. They will determine the official withdrawal date for housing and meal plans (which may be different than the date submitted to the Student Service Center). All tuition, fees, and student housing and meal plan charges will be reversed based on the official withdrawal date and will be calculated from the official opening date of classes in accordance with the following schedules:

Regular academic semester for continuing students

  • Through the first day of the semester 100%
  • After the first day of the semester through the second week 90%
  • After the second week of the semester through the fourth week 50%
  • After the fourth week of the semester through the eighth week 25%
  • Thereafter 0%

 Summer Session for continuing students

  • Through the first day of the semester 100%
  • After the first day of the semester through the first week 90%
  • After the first week of classes through the second week 50%
  • After the second week of the semester through the third week 25%
  • Thereafter 0%

To top

Student Responsibilities

Any loss occasioned by damage to Institute property will be charged to the student or students responsible, but if we do not know the students causing the damage, the costs may be assessed equally upon all members of the student body. The Institute reserves the right to exclude a student at any time if conduct or academic standing is regarded as undesirable, without assigning any further reasons. In such cases, fees will not be refunded or remitted in whole or in part, and neither the Institute nor any of its officers shall be under any liability for such exclusion.

Financial Aid

Many sources of financial aid are available to graduate students. These include fellowships, assistantships, federal work-study positions, on-campus employment, employer tuition assistance plans, loan funds, and deferred payment plans. Fellowships and assistantships are granted on a competitive basis to outstanding full-time graduate students. Applicants should consult their department for more information regarding assistantships. Continuing students may become eligible for additional sources of aid as they progress through the program and should consult with their department at regular intervals.

Click here for more information.

Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships

Graduate Assistantships (teaching, research, or other) are available in every academic department and in some non-academic departments. Graduate Assistants are appointed based on recommendation by the appropriate department director or principal investigator of a grant or contract. Graduate Assistants may carry a reduced course load but still complete the master's degree in two years or less.

For the 2013-2014 academic year, Graduate Assistants with a bachelor's degree receive a stipend of $20,362 for the academic year, plus tuition and fees in accordance with the contract from the academic department. Graduate Assistants with a master's degree earn $21,665 for the academic year, and Graduate Assistants who have completed 30 credits and have successfully completed the qualifying examination for the doctoral degree receive $22,959 for the academic year. For a Graduate Assistant carrying a typical academic load (18 credits per year exclusive of summer session activity), the value of the assistantship is greater than $30,000. Additional support may also be available for the summer sessions.

To top

Research Assistantships

Research Assistantships generally provide graduate tuition and fee support and a monthly stipend (see above) for services on sponsored research contracts. Appointments are reviewed and made by the Office of Graduate Admissions after recommendation by the academic department director or principal investigator.

Teaching Assistantships

Teaching Assistantships generally provide graduate tuition and fee support and a monthly stipend (see above) for teaching assistant services in the academic departments. Appointments are reviewed and made by the Dean of Academic Administration after recommendation by the academic department director.

Robert Crooks Stanley Graduate Fellowships

Robert Crooks Stanley Graduate Fellowshipsprovide tuition plus living allowance for graduate students pursuing a Ph.D. degree. The fellowships are endowed through the generosity of the late Mrs. Robert C. Stanley and her children as a memorial to Dr. Stanley, Class of 1899 and former chairman of the Board of Trustees. A committee appointed by the Board of Trustees makes the selections.

Loans and Work-Study

Graduate students enrolled in a degree-granting program on at least a half-time basis (a minimum of six credits per semester) may apply for federal student loans and/or Federal Work-Study by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The results of this standardized application will allow the Office of Financial Aid to determine eligibility for federal aid. Only U.S. citizens or permanent residents may file the FAFSA; international students do not qualify for federal assistance.

The FAFSA should be completed and submitted to the processing center at least eight weeks prior to the beginning of the semester in which the student plans to enroll. The forms are available upon request from the Student Service Center in the lobby of the Howe Center, (201) 216-5555, or can be submitted via the Web at Additional information about graduate financial aid, including free, online scholarship search services, as well as alternative financing sources, may also be accessed through the Office of Financial aid’s home page (

Additional loans are available for students in need of further funding. Please visit our Alternative Financing website at for suggestions. A limited number of on-campus employment opportunities are available under the Federal Work-Study Program. No student can be considered for these types of assistance without submitting the FAFSA.

To top