Campus Information

Located Across the River from New York City

Since 1870, Stevens’ residential, park-like campus has been located atop Castle Point on Hudson in Hoboken, New Jersey, overlooking the Hudson River and the entire New York City skyline. This close proximity enables students to easily interact with working professionals through cooperative education, internships and industry mentorships.

Travel Directions to Campus

Hoboken is approximately one square mile in area and is located on the New Jersey bank of the Hudson River between the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels.

Download Campus Map

By Public Transportation

From New York City


Take NJ Transit bus No. 126 from the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 8th Avenue and 40th Street. The bus goes directly to Hoboken and travels along Washington Street, stopping on even-numbered streets. Exit at 8th Street for the main campus or 6th Street for academic buildings, cross Washington Street and walk uphill to campus.

PATH Train

Take a Port Authority Trans Hudson (PATH) train that is marked as terminating at Hoboken. PATH fares and schedules can be found online at From Hoboken Terminal, take a local bus, taxi or walk uptown to 6th Street and turn right (east) for the campus.


NY Waterway runs ferries to the North (14th Street) terminal as well as the South (NJ Transit Station) terminal.  Fares and schedules can be found at From the South Terminal, take a local bus, taxi or walk uptown to 6th Street and turn right (east) for the campus). From Hoboken North Terminal, take a taxi or walk downtown to 8th Street and turn left (east) for the campus.

From Newark Liberty Airport

A complete list of ground transportation services is available in each terminal, including rental cars. Taxis to Hoboken are available at any terminal. Check with the uniformed taxi dispatcher for fares.

You can also take the AirTrain, a direct train from any terminal to Newark's central station from Newark, you can then take a PATH train to Hoboken. See fares and schedules link, above.

From Other Points in New Jersey


Many NJ Transit train lines terminate in Hoboken. A few NJ Transit lines and all Amtrak train lines stop in Newark's Penn Station. From Newark, take a PATH train to Hoboken. See schedules and fares at

By Automobile

GPS Address: “Stevens Institute of Technology” or “1 Castle Point Terrace Hoboken, NJ”

After entering campus, via 9th street, proceed through the campus gates to the traffic circle in front of the Wesley J. Howe Center (14-story-tall building). Temporary parking is permitted on the circle while obtaining a parking permit from the front desk in the lobby. The attendant at the desk will advise you on where to park.

Getting to Know the Campus: Academic Buildings

Gothic-style Edwin A. Stevens Hall is the original building that was home to the university at its inception in 1870 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It also contains the beautifully restored Grace E. and Kenneth W. DeBaun Auditorium, a state-of-the-art facility. This building is used for academic purposes and houses the Charles V. Schaefer, Jr. School of Engineering and Science, the office of the Provost and the University Vice President, as well as classrooms and laboratories. The Engineering Design Laboratory and an anechoic chamber for conducting acoustical and noise control research are also located here.

The glass-façade Lawrence T. Babbio Center for Business and Technology Management, a six-story, 95,000-square-foot structure, serves as the headquarters for two of Stevens' four schools, the Wesley J. Howe School of Technology Management and the School of Systems & Enterprises. The Babbio Center features 14 classrooms with multimedia and distance-learning capability; a 125-seat auditorium; a main atrium with sweeping views of New York City; a technical center and main mezzanine study lounge; six conference rooms; 10 student breakout areas; and 31 faculty offices. It is also home to Stevens' Financial Systems Center; the Hanlon Financial Systems Lab, a state-of-the-art simulated trading room streaming real-time and historical data; the Center for Complex Systems and Enterprises; the Immersion Lab; and the Systems Engineering Research Center.

The S.C. Williams Library, located at the center of campus just west of the Wesley J. Howe Center, holds one of the Western Hemisphere’s largest collections of works by and about Leonardo da Vinci, some dating back nearly five centuries. America's Cup, a café adjacent to the library, offers additional study areas in a casual setting. Beneath the library is the Computer Service Center.

The Burchard Building, completed in 1958, houses the offices and facilities of the departments of electrical and computer engineering, materials engineering, physics and engineering physics. The Laboratory for Multiscale Imaging, incorporating several state-of-the art microscopes, is located in the basement level. There is also a large theater and a café here.

The Carnegie Laboratory of Engineering was donated to the University by the industrialist Andrew Carnegie, a former Stevens Trustee, in 1901. It houses the Design & Manufacturing Institute (DMI), as well as a nanotechnology laboratory, a 'clean room' and a computer-aided manufacturing facility for the mechanical engineering department.

The Davidson Laboratory, located on Hudson Street one block west of the main campus, is one of the largest and most internationally-renowned hydrodynamics and ocean engineering research facilities in the nation. Founded in 1935, the laboratory is home to a historic wave tank used to test craft hydrodynamics for a wide variety of government and industry collaborators.

The Lieb Building, also on Hudson Street, is home to the Wireless Network Security Center (WiNSeC) and Stevens' computer science department.

The McLean Building houses the majority of the facilities utilized by the Stevens chemistry, chemical biology, biomedical and chemical engineering programs. The Highly Filled Materials Institute (HFMI) and the New Jersey Center for Microchemical Systems are also located in this building.

The Morton-Peirce-Kidde Complex houses the offices of the College of Arts and Letters, home to programs in Science, Technology and Society; Technology and the Arts; and Humanities and Social Sciences. The Sound Synthesis Research Center, Motion Capture Lab, and Writing and Communications Center are all located in this complex, as well as 21 classrooms, a lecture hall, seminar rooms, laboratories and a student lounge.

The Kenneth J. Altorfer Academic Complex, which opened in 2011, is named in honor of Stevens alumnus Kenneth J. Altorfer, Class of 1950. Located on River Street, it houses faculty offices and classroom space. 

Created by the Center for Environmental Engineering (CEE), the James C. Nicoll, Jr. Environmental Laboratory is a research and testing facility with multimedia capabilities for wastewater, liquid waste, solid waste, soil and air studies. An early leader in environmental engineering, Stevens built the Nicoll Lab to fortify its long-standing commitment to environmental protection through innovative and advanced technologies.

The Vincent A. Rocco Technology Center is named after the late Vincent A. Rocco, class of 1967. Located on River Street, south of the athletic field, it houses the offices and laboratories for the civil, environmental and ocean engineering.

The Griffith Building, on Frank Sinatra Drive on the Hoboken waterfront, was completed in 1971 and named for Earl L. Griffith, a member of the Class of 1923 and a former Trustee. It houses the offices, maintenance shops and stock rooms of the Physical Plant Department.

Getting to Know the Campus: Administrative Buildings & Facilities

The Wesley J. Howe Center, a 14-story structure topping Castle Point, was built in 1962. It houses the Student Service Center and many of Stevens' administrative offices and other non-academic facilities, including Pierce Dining Hall, the Campus Store, the Faculty Club, Colonel John's cafe, a U.S. Post Office and a bowling alley. The Howe Center is also the site of many alumni, student and other social events. 

The Ruesterholz Admissions Center opened in 2014 after a renovation of the former Colonial House as a state-of-the-art admissions center. The center was made possible by the generosity of Chairman of the Stevens Board of Trustees Virginia Ruesterholz '83 and her husband Kevin Ruesterholz '83.

The Charles V. Schaefer, Jr. Athletic and Recreation Center was named after the late Charles V. Schaefer, Jr., Class of 1936 and chairman emeritus of the Board of Trustees. Built in 1994, this magnificent 63,000-square-foot complex includes the Canavan Arena, a gymnasium with seating for 1,400, an indoor training center with a multiple-purpose floor, a fitness-exercise room, a swimming pool, a Jacuzzi and three combination squash-racquetball courts. Offices and locker rooms also support the physical education, athletic and recreation programs in the Schaefer Center.

DeBaun Field, located directly behind the Schaefer Center, features a state-of-the-art FieldTurf synthetic playing surface. The facility is home to the varsity field hockey, soccer, baseball and lacrosse teams, as well as a number of club and intramural sports. Other outdoor facilities include six tennis courts (two of which are lit) and a beach volleyball court.

The William Hall Walker Gymnasium, built in 1916, is named for its donor and serves as an adjunct athletic and recreational facility. The building features a gymnasium and elevated indoor track, five locker rooms, a recruiting/meeting room, nine offices and the 4,000 square-foot Class of 1949 Strength and Conditioning Center for student-athletes.

The Gatehouse, at the southern end of campus beside the Babbio Center, served as the entrance to the original Stevens family estate.

Hoxie House, a gift of William D. Hoxie, Class of 1889, was built in 1929 and is the current residence of Stevens President Nariman Farvardin and his family.

Residence halls on campus include:

  • Castle Point Hall, which provides housing for 190 male and female students, predominantly first-year students and some upper-class students, in triple-occupancy rooms.
  • Davis Hall, named in honor of Harvey N. Davis, third president of Stevens, providing housing for 200 female and male first-year students.
  • Hayden Hall, a gift from the Hayden Foundation, accommodating 125 male and female first-year students.
  • Humphreys Hall, named for Alexander C. Humphreys, second president of the university, which houses 150 male and female first-year students.
  • Jonas Hall, near the athletic field, is the university’s largest residence hall and houses 230 male and female upper-class students in double and triple rooms with private bathrooms.
  • The Lore-El Center, a Victorian home on Castle Point Terrace, providing specialized housing for 16 female upper-class students in single-, double- and triple-occupancy rooms.
  • Palmer Hall, named for Edgar Palmer, a former trustee, provides housing for 90 upper-class male and female students in single and quad rooms.
  • The River Terrace Suites feature apartment-style living for 140 upper-class male and female students.