Located Across the River from New York City

Since 1870, Stevens’ residential, park-like campus has been located atop Castle Point on Hudson in Hoboken, New Jersey, overlooking the Hudson River and the entire New York City skyline. This close proximity enables students to easily interact with working professionals through cooperative education, internships, and industry mentorships. Undergraduates also take advantage of the multitude of cultural and social opportunities not found on any other college campus.

Travel Directions to Campus

Hoboken is approximately one square mile in area and is located on the New Jersey bank of the Hudson River between the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels.

Download Campus Map

By Public Transportation

From New York City

From Points West of the Hudson River

By Automobile

From New York City

From Northern New Jersey and George Washington Bridge

From Upper New York State

From Points West and North West of Hoboken

From Points South West of Hoboken and Newark Liberty Airport

From Points South of Hoboken Via the Garden State Parkway

Once on Campus

Getting to Know Campus: Academic Buildings

Edwin A. Stevens Hall is the original building that became home to the university at its inception in 1870. It now contains the beautifully restored Grace E. and Kenneth W. DeBaun Auditorium, a state-of-the-art facility, and also the site of the first organizational meeting of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), April 7, 1880. This building is used for academic purposes and houses the Charles V. Schaefer, Jr. School of Engineering and Science, the office of the Provost and the University Vice President, as well as classrooms and laboratories of the mechanical engineering department. The Engineering Design Laboratory and an anechoic chamber for conducting acoustical and noise control research are also in Edwin A. Stevens Hall.

The Burchard Building, completed in 1958, houses the offices and facilities of electrical and computer engineering, materials engineering, physics and engineering physics. The Laboratory for Multiscale Imaging, with several state-of-the art microscopes is located here. There is also a large theater for class lectures and weekly movies hosted by the undergraduate Student Government Association. The Red & Gray Cafe is located on the first floor.

The Carnegie Laboratory of Engineering was given to the University by the late Andrew Carnegie, a Trustee, in 1901. It houses the Design & Manufacturing Institute (DMI), as well as a nano-technology laboratory, a modern clean room and computer-aided manufacturing facility for the mechanical engineering department.

Founded in 1935, Davidson Laboratory, located on Hudson Street, one block west of the main campus, is one of the largest and most internationally-renowned hydrodynamics and ocean engineering research facilities. The laboratory is also the home of a multi-university Research Center for Maritime Security funded by the Department of Homeland Security to address shoreline and port threats and vulnerabilities.

The Griffith Building, completed in 1971 and named for Earl L. Griffith, a member of the Class of 1923 and a former Trustee, houses the offices, maintenance shops and stock rooms of the Physical Plant Department.

The Lieb Building is home to the the Wireless Network Security Center (WiNSeC) and the computer science department.

A majority of the facilities utilized by the Stevens chemistry, chemical biology, biomedical and chemical engineering programs are located in the McClean building. The Highly Filled Materials Institute (HFMI) and the New Jersey Center for Microchemical Systems are located in this building, as well.

The Morton-Peirce-Kidde Complex contains the offices of the College of Arts and Letters, which is home to programs in Science, Technology and Society; Technology and the Arts; and Humanities and Social Sciences. The Sound Synthesis Research Center, Motion Capture Lab, and Writing and Communications Center are located in this complex, as well as 21 classrooms, a lecture hall, seminar rooms, laboratories and a student lounge.

The Lawrence T. Babbio, Jr. Center for Technology Management, a six-story, 95,000-square-foot structure serves as the signature headquarters for the Wesley J. Howe School of Technology Management and the School of System & Enterprises at Stevens Institute of Technology. Designed as a world-class infrastructure, the Babbio Center provides a technically advanced learning environment that promotes creative interaction while enabling wireless access to up-to-the-moment information. The center features 14 classrooms with varied levels of multimedia and distance learning capability; a 125-seat auditorium; a main atrium; a technical center and main mezzanine study lounge; six conference rooms; 10 student breakout areas and 31 faculty offices; and a highly flexible development space with capacity to respond to market needs. It is the home to the Financial Systems Center and Hanlon Financial Systems Lab; the Center for Complex Systems and Enterprises; the Immersion Lab; and the Systems Engineering Research Center.

Created by the Center for Environmental Engineering (CEE), the James C. Nicoll, Jr. Environmental Laboratory is a research and testing facility with multimedia capabilities for wastewater, liquid waste, solid waste, soil and air studies. An early leader in environmental engineering, Stevens built the Nicoll Lab to fortify its long-standing commitment to environmental protection through innovative and advanced technologies.

The Vincent A. Rocco Technology Center is named after the late Vincent A. Rocco, class of 1967. Located on River Street, south of the athletic field, it houses the offices and laboratories for the civil, environmental and ocean engineering.

The S.C. Williams Library, located at the center of campus just west of the Wesley J. Howe Center, offers just-in-time service tailored to the needs of Stevens faculty, students and staff. The library holds one of the Western Hemisphere’s largest collections of works by and about Leonardo da Vinci, some dating back nearly five centuries. America's Cup, a comfortable café adjacent to the library, offers additional study areas in a casual setting. Beneath the library is the Computer Center, which serves the computational needs of the university, as well as the Computer Service Center.

The Kenneth J. Altorfer Academic Complex, which opened in 2011, is named in honor of Stevens alumnus Kenneth J. Altorfer, Class of 1950. Located on River Street, it houses faculty offices and classroom space. 

The Ruesterholz Admissions Center, scheduled to open in 2014, will transform historic Colonial House into a welcoming, state-of-the-art admissions center. The center is made possible by the generosity of Chairman of the Stevens Board of Trustees Virginia Ruesterholz '83 and her husband Kevin Ruesterholz '83.

Getting to Know Campus: Administrative Buildings & Facilities

The Charles V. Schaefer, Jr. Athletic and Recreation Center was named after the late Charles V. Schaefer, Jr., Class of 1936 and chairman emeritus of the Board of Trustees. Built in 1994, this magnificent 63,000-square-foot complex includes the Canavan Arena, a gymnasium with seating for 1,400, an indoor training center with a multiple purpose floor, a fitness-exercise room, swimming pool and jacuzzi, and three combination squash-racquetball courts. Offices and locker rooms also support the physical education, athletic and recreation programs in the Schaefer Center.

DeBaun Field, located directly behind the Schaefer Center, features a state-of-the-art FieldTurf synthetic playing surface. The facility is home to the varsity field hockey, soccer, baseball and lacrosse teams, as well as a number of club and intramural sports. Other outdoor facilities include six tennis courts (two of which are lit) and a beach volleyball court.

The William Hall Walker Gymnasium, built in 1916, is named for its donor and serves as an adjunct athletic and recreational facility. The building has recently undergone a major renovation project and features a new gymnasium and elevated indoor track, five locker rooms, a recruiting/meeting room, nine new offices and the 4,000 square-foot Class of 1949 Strength and Conditioning Center for student-athletes. Stevens also has a unique partnership with the neighboring town of Weehawken and many student-athletes are able to take advantage of Weehawken Waterfront Park and Recreation Center throughout the school year. The facility, opened in September of 2007 along the banks of the Hudson River, is home to the softball team and provides additional practice space for the cross country, track and field, lacrosse and soccer teams throughout the year.

The Gatehouse, which served as entrance to the original Stevens family estate, houses the Campus Police. Since Stevens is a residential campus for its undergraduates, the residence halls are conveniently scattered throughout and within a short walking distance of classrooms, laboratories, dining areas and recreational facilities.

Castle Point Hall provides housing for 190 male and female students, predominantly first-year students and some upper-class students, in triple occupancy rooms. Davis Hall, named in honor of Harvey N. Davis, third president of Stevens, provides housing for 200 female and male freshmen. Humphreys Hall is named for Alexander C. Humphreys, second president of the University, and houses 160 male and female students, in addition to WEXP, Stevens' television station. Hayden Hall, a gift from the Hayden Foundation, accommodates 135 male and female students. The Lore-El Center provides specialized housing for 13 female upper-class students in single and double occupancy rooms. Palmer Hall, named for Edgar Palmer, a former trustee, provides housing for 90 upper-class students in single and quad occupancy. Jonas Hall contains double rooms with private bathrooms and houses 216 male and female upper-class students. River Terrace features apartment style living for up to 144 males and female students.

Adjacent to some of our residence halls is the Jacobus Student Center. Jacobus houses most student activity offices, lounges, a large-screen TV, the Health Services Center, the office of the campus chaplain, a game room, the campus radio station, student publications offices, a dark room and a snack bar. It also provides a a meeting space for lively specialized student-life programs.

The Wesley J. Howe Center houses the Student Service Center and many of the administrative offices and other non-academic facilities. This includes the newly-renovated Pierce Dining Hall, the Campus Store, Colonel John's cafe, a U.S. Post Office, and the bowling alley. Throughout the year, the Howe Center is also the site of many social events. 

Hoxie House, a gift of William D. Hoxie, Class of 1889, was built in 1929 and is the residence of the president of Stevens, and his/her family.