Visualizing the Evolution of Systems Engineering
Develop a visual map of the evolution of the field of systems engineering based on interviewing a set of systems engineering experts. Include a brief (as feasible) literature review of history of systems engineering that includes a guide to the primary references for this topic. For the visualization, the initial idea is to start in the middle of a series of concentric circles with the 1950s (U.S. perspective, validate internationally) acknowledging earlier existence of supporting fields (cybernetics, etc.). Next link to the development of related areas (such as systems dynamics) and expand to largest circle that includes broader areas of focus (systems thinking, chaos theory, complexity theory, networks, enterprises, etc…). Include conclusions and recommendations (potential trends, applications/uses, etc…) based on the completed research and the developed visualization.
- Alessi, R. S., Friedman, G. J., Grady, J. O., Mayhew, M. E., Mayhew, K., Rhodes, D. H., et al. (1995). The foundation of systems engineering . In Proceedings of the 5th annual conference of national council on systems engineering (NCOSE) [now INCOSE], st. Louis, missouri, USA, july 22-26, 1995.
- Brill, J. H. (1998). Systems engineering - A retrospective view. Systems Engineering, 1(4), 258-266.
- Calvano, C. N. & John, P. (2004). Systems engineering in an age of complexity. Systems Engineering, 7(1), 25-34.
- Ferris, T. L. J. (2006). Cross-Cultural issues associated with the application of ISO/IEC 15288 standard. In Proceedings of the 16th annual international symposium, INCOSE 2006, orlando, FL, USA, july 9 - 13, 2006.
- Honour, E. C. (1999). INCOSE: History of the international council on systems engineering. Systems Engineering, 1(1), 4-13.
- INCOSE Technical Operations (2007, September). INCOSE-TP-2004-004-02: Systems engineering vision 2020, version 2.03. International Council on Systems Engineering, Seattle, WA. See: http://www.incose.org/ProductsPubs/pdf/SEVision2020_20071003_v2_03.pdf
- Jamshidi, M. (2008). System of systems engineering - new challenges for the 21st century. Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, IEEE, 23(5), 4-19.
- Pope, R. L., Jones, K. W., Jenkins, L. C., Ramsey, J., & Burnham, S. (2006). History of science and technology systems engineering: The histneer. In 25Th digital avionics systems conference, 2006 IEEE/AIAA.