Professor Adeniyi Lawal
- McGill University Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, 1985
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology S.M. in Chemical Engineering, 1982
- University of Ibadan, Nigeria B.Sc. Honors in Engineering, 1978
Thermochemical conversion of biomass waste to transportation fuels via pyrolysis, Algae growth and oil extraction, Hydrodeoxygenation of Algae and Pyrolysis Oils (bio-oils), Autothermal reforming of pyrolysis oil and pyrolysis vapors to synthesis gas, Microchemical systems analysis, design and evaluation with applications in chemical synthesis. Catalysis. Process intensification.
- Professor, Dept. of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Stevens Institute of Technology, 2005 - present
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1998 - 2005
- Research Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1992 - 1998
- Senior Research Associate/Research Associate, Dept. of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1990 - 1992
- Senior Lecturer, Dept. of Chemical Engineering, University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria, 1988 - 1990
- Lecturer I, Dept. of Chemical Engineering, University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria, 1985 - 1988
Member, Institute Promotion & Tenure Committee, 2006/2007; 2007/2008
Member, SES Promotion & Tenure Committee, 2006 - 2017
Reviewer for DOE, PRF and NSF
- Dean's Honors List, McGill University Ph.D. thesis
- Stevens Alexander Crombie Humphreys Award for Outstanding Teaching (2000)
- Stevens Board of Trustees 2004 Research Award
- Technical Editor, Proceedings of the Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers AGM 1987
- NSERC Fellowship Award of Canada, 1990
Program Director of Chemical Engineering, 2005 - 2010
Associate Department Chair of Graduate Studies, 2015 - present
American Institute of Chemical Engineers
Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers, US Chapter
- PI for 2 BETO-funded projects on renewable energy -$1.65M (autothermal reforming of pyrolysis oil for syngas production; development of Pt-based bimetallic monolith catalyst for hydrotreating algal oil)
- PI for 1 OSD, DoD contract on biomass waste conversion to liquid fuels for national security - $1.7M
- PI for 2 DOE-ITP sponsored 5-year projects on application of microreactor technology to chemical synthesis - $4.2M (synthesis of H2O2 by direct combination of H2 and O2; hydrogenation of pharmaceutical substrates)
- Currently a Co-PI on a Leidos contract to utilize DoD's industrial-base wastewater for algae growth - $500K for my task
- A. Lawal, and D. Qian, “Scalable Microreactors and Methods for Using Same,” United States Patent 7,670,567 B2, March 2, 2010
- A. Lawal, O. C. Okafor, S. R. Tadepalli, and G. K. Tampy, “Process for Producing Alkyl Substituted Indanes,” 20110077440 A1, March 31, 2011
- A. Lawal, E. A. Dada, W. Y. Lee, H. Pfeffer, “Process for the production of hydrogen peroxide from hydrogen and oxygen, 20060233695 A1, October 19, 2006
- A. Lawal and L. Zhou, "Process and Apparatus for Alkyl Halide Fumigant Recovery and Conversion," Application filed 09/27/2018
- L. Zhou, J. L. Manganaro, and A, Lawal (2017). "Techno-economics of a Microalgal Route to Green Diesel", Microalgae as a Source of Bioenergy, Jose Carlos Pires Edited, Bentham Science Publishers, Chapter 14.
- A. Lawal, and R. J. Farrauto. (2013). "The Convergence of Emission Control and Source of Clean Energy", New and Future Developments in Catalysis: Catalysis for Remediation and Environmental Concerns, Suib Steven Edited, Elsevier Publishers. 193 – 229.
- L, Zhou, and A. Lawal. (2017). "Kinetic study of hydrodeoxygenation of palmitic acid as a model compound for microalgae oil over Pt/Al2O3", Applied Catalysis A: General 532, 40 - 49.
- J. L. Manganaro, and A. Lawal. (2016). "CO2 Life-Cycle Assessment of the Production of Algae-Based Liquid Fuel Compared to Crude Oil to Diesel", Energy & Fuels, 30, 3130 – 3139.
- J. L. Manganaro, A. Lawal and B. Goodall. (2015). "Techno-economics of Microalgae Production and Conversion into Refinery Ready Oil with Co-Product Credits", Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining, 9, 760 – 777.
- L. Zhou, and A. Lawal. (2016). "Hydrodeoxygenation of Microalgae Oil to Green Diesel over Pt, Rh and NiMo", Catalysis Science and Technology, 6, 1442 – 1454.
- Y. Liu, and A. Lawal. (2015). "Kinetic Study of Autothermal Reforming of Glycerol", Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 95, 276 – 283.
- L. Zhou, and A. Lawal. (2014). "Evaluation of Presulfided NiMo/γ-Al2O3 for Hydrodeoxygenation of Microalgae Oil to Produce Green Diesel", Energy & Fuels, 29, 262 – 272.
- Y. Liu, and A. Lawal. (2014). "Crude Glycerol Autothermal Reforming in a Pt, Rh/Pt Dual Layer Monolith Catalyst", Energy Technol., 2, 792 – 801.
- N. Joshi, and A. Lawal. (2013). "Hydrodeoxygenation of 4-Propylguaiacol (2-Methoxy-4-propylphenol) in a Microreactor: Performance and Kinetic Studies", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 52, 4049 – 4058.
- Y. Liu, R. Farrauto, and A. Lawal. (2013). "Autothermal Reforming of Glycerol in a Dual Layer Monolith Catalyst", Chemical Engineering Science, 89, 31 – 39.
- N. Joshi, and A. Lawal. (2012). "Hydrodeoxygenation of Acetic Acid in a Microreactor", Chemical Engineering Science, 84, 761 – 771.
- N. Joshi, and A. Lawal. (2012). "Hydrodeoxygenation of Pyrolysis Oil in a Microreactor", Chemical Engineering Science, 74, 1 – 8.
- J. Manganaro and A. Lawal. (2012). "Economics of Thermochemical Conversion of Crop Residue to Liquid Transportation Fuel", Energy & Fuels, 26, 2442-2453.
- J. Manganaro, B. Chen, J. Adeosun, S. Lakhapatri, D. Favetta, A. Lawal, R. Farrauto, L. Dorazio, and D. J. Rosse. (2011). "Conversion of Residual Biomass into Liquid Transportation Fuel: An Energy Analysis", Energy & Fuels, 25, 2711-2720.
- CHE 210 Process Analysis
- CHE 342 Heat and Mass Transfer
- CHE 332 Separation Operations
- CHE 423 Engineering Design VII
- CHE 424 Engineering Design VIII
- CHE 672 Processing of Polymers for Biomedical Applications
- CHE 801 Special Problem in Chemical Engineering