Dr. Yong Shi
- Ph.D. in Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2004
- M.S. in Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2001
- B.Eng. in Composite Materials, National University of Defense Technology, P.R. China, 1985
- Active nanostructures such as nanofibers, nanotubes and nanojunctions
- Mechanical, thermal, solar, and chemical energy scavenging
- Novel actuation and sensing technologies for biomedical and structural health monitoring applications
- Power, biomedical, RF and optical MEMS/NEMS design and fabrication
- Experimental micro/nano mechanics and electromechanical coupling
- 09/11-present Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology
- 09/04-08/11 Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology
- 1/97-08/98 Vice Director/Director of the composites department, Beijing spacecraft, P. R. China
- 03/96-12/96 Sinosat satellite platform coordinator, Aerospatial, Cannes, France
- 08/85-02/96 satellite engineer/director engineer, Beijing Spacecraft, P. R. China
- Member of Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate Committee
- Member of Mechanical Engineering Graduate Committee
- Member of Mechanical Engineering Laboratory Committee
- National Science Foundation, 2009
- National Science Foundation, 2008
- National Science Foundation, 2007
- Basic Energy Sciences for the Department of Energy, 2007
- National Science Foundation, 2006
- Science, J. of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Nanotechnology, Smart Materials and Structures, Measurement Science and Technology, Composite Science and Technology
- Symposium on Applied Mechanics, Friction and Tribology of MEMS/NEMS, The ASME 3rd International Conference on Micro-and Nanosystem, San Diego, CA, 2009
- Symposium on Applied Mechanics, Friction and Tribology of MEMS/NEMS, The ASME 2nd International Conference on Micro-and Nanosystem, Brooklyn, NY, 2008
- ASME Nano Bootcamp, University of Minnesota, 2006
- NSF Proposal Writing Workshop, George Washington University, 2006
- Training on Proposal Writing, Rutgers University, 2007
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of 2007 ANST fellowships
- Best Young Researcher Award, Chinese Academy of Space Technology, P. R. China, 1993
- R&D Award from the National Defense Science and Technology Committee, “Development of solar panel substrate and yoke for China-Bazil earth resources satellite,” P.R. China, 1998
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- IEEE Member
- Materials Research Society (MRS) Member
- Sigma Xi
Patents & Inventions
US-2009-0056094-A1, “Piezoelectric nanofibers, nanotubes, nanojunctions and nanotrees
- Weihe Xu, Evgeny Nazaretski, Ming Lu, Hamid Hadim, Yong Shi. (2014). "Characterization of the thermal conductivity of La0.95Sr0.05CoO3 thermoelectric oxide nanofibers", Nano Research, 7 (8), 1224-1231.
- Weihe Xu; Hamid Hadim; Yong S. Chu; Yong Shi; Evgeny Nazaretski. (2014). "Measurements of thermal conductivity of La0.95Sr0.05CoO3 nanofibers using MEMS devices", Proc. SPIE 8975, Reliability, Packaging, Testing, and Characterization of MOEMS/MEMS, Nanodevices, and Nanomaterials XIII, 89750D.
- Jinwei Li, Xi Chen, Weihe Xu, Chang-Yong Nam, and Yong Shi. (2013). "TiO2 nanofiber solid state dye sensitized solar cell with thin TiO2 hole blocking layer prepared by atomic layer deposition", Thin Solid Films, 536 275-279.
- Weihe Xu, Jinwei Li, Guitao Zhang, Xi Chen, Richard Galos, Hamid Hadim, Ming Lu, Yong Shi. (2013). "A low-cost MEMS tester for measuring single nanostructure's thermal conductivity", Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 191 89-98.
- Xi Chen, Stephen Guo, Jinwei Li, Guitao Zhang, Ming Lu and Yong Shi. (2013). "Flexible acoustic emission sensor based on aligned PZT nanofibers", Sensors and Actuators A , 199 372-378.
- Jinwei Li, Weihe Xu, and Yong Shi. (2012). "TiO2 nanofiber based dye sensitized solar cell with improved carrier collection efficiency", Transaction on Control and Mechanical Systems, 1 (1), 1-8.
- Xi Chen, Shiyou Xu, Nan Yao, and Yong Shi. (2012). "Young’s modulus determination of unpolled electrospun PZT nanofibers", Science of Advanced Materials, 4 847-850.
- Xi Chen, Anton Li, Nan Yao, and Yong Shi. (2011). "Adjustable stiffness of individual piezoelectric nanofibers by electron beam polarization", Applied Physics Letters , 99 193102.
- Xi Chen, Jinwei Li, Guitao Zhang, and Yong Shi. (2011). "PZT nano active fiber composites for acoustic emission detection", Advanced Materials , 23 3965-3969.
- Jinwei Li, Xi Chen, Nan Ai, Jumin Hao, Qi Chen, Stefan Strauf and Yong Shi. (2011). "Silver nanoparticle doped TiO2 nanofiber dye sensitized solar cells", Chemical Physics Letters, 514 141-145.
- Guitao Zhang, Shiyou Xu, Yong Shi. (2011). "Electromechnical coupling of lead zirconate titanate nanoﬁbres", Micro & Nano Letters, 6 59-61.
- Weihe Xu, Qi Chen, Hamid Hadim, and Yong Shi. (2011). "Fabrication of thermoelectric La0.95Sr0.05CoO3 thin film and seebeck coefficient", Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Application, 3 044502.
- Xi Chen, Shiyou Xu, Nan Yao and Yong Shi. (2010). "1.6 V Nanogenerator for mechanical energy harvesting using PZT nanofibers", Nano Letters, 10 (6), 2133-2137.
- Shiyou Xu, Yong Shi. (2009). "Gas sensing properties of indium tin oxide nanofibers", Sensors & Transducers Journal, 110 (11), 47-55.
- Shiyou Xu, Yong Shi,. "Fabrication and Characterization of Nano AFC’s as Acoustic Emission Sensor", Materials Evaluation, 67 (10), 1189-1192.
- Shiyou Xu, Yong Shi. (2009). "Low temperature high sensor response nano gas sensor using ITO nanofibers", Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 143 (1), 71-75.
- Xi.Chen, S. Xu, N. Yao, W. Xu & Y. Shi. (2009). "Potential measurement from a single lead zirconate titanate nanofiber using a nanomanipulator", Applied Physics Letters, 94 253113.
- S. Xu, Y. Shi. (2009). "Power generation from piezoelectric lead zirconate titanate nanotubes", J. of Physics D: Applied Physics, 42 (5pp), 085301.
- V. R. Challa, M. G. Prasad, Y. Shi, F. T. Fisher. (2008). "A vibration energy harvesting device with bidirectional resonance frequency tenability", Smart Materials and Structures, 17 15-35.
- S. Xu, Y. Shi, S.-G. Kim. (2006). "Fabrication and mechanical property of nano piezoelectric fibers", Nanotechnology, 17 4497-4501.
- Sang-Gook Kim, Yong Shi, Yongbae Jeon. (Aug 2002). "Design of Micro-photonic Beam Steering Systems", 2002 CIRP Annal, Spain .
- Y. Shi, S. Kim. (2001). "Optical Crossconnect Technology Review", Report for Silicon Valley Group Corp. .
- Yong Shi, Yin L. (1996). "A New Low Viscosity Long Pot life Filament Winding Resin System", CAST Research Report.
- Y. Shi. (1995). "Advancements in CFRP Satellite Antenna Reflectors in the world", CAST Research Report. .
- Y. Shi, Q., Tang. (1992). "Technologies of Composite Materials in Germany", CAST Research Report. 2.
- Yong Shi. "The Development of the Carbon Fiber Reinforced Epoxy Stringer Pre-forms for the Central Tube of a Comsat", China Space Science and Technology. 6 (1992).
- Sang-Gook Kim, Yong Shi. "A Self-alignment, Self-cleaning Long Lifecycle MEMS Switch", manuscript in preparation for IEEE Transaction on Journal of MEMS. .
- Yong Shi, Nesbitt W. Hagood. "Theory and Experiments of Actuation Efficiency in Piezo-electrically driven linear and nonlinear systems", Manuscript in preparation for Smart materials and Structures. .
- Jinwei Li, Shiyou Xu and Yong Shi,. "TiO2 Nanofibers based dye-sensitized solar cells", Proceedings of the ASME, 2009 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, IMECE2009, November 13-19, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, USA.
- Weihe Xu, Shiyou Xu, Dante Smiriglio, Yong Shi. "Fabrication and Characterization of Thermoelectric Oxide La1-xSrxCoO3 (x~0.05) Nanofibers", Proceedings of the ASME 2009 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition November 13-19, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, USA.
- S. Xu, Y. Shi. (Jan 5-8, 2009). "High sensitivity, low operational temperature ITO nano gas sensor with integrated circuits", Proc. of the 4th International Conference on Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems, Shenzheng, China.
- S. Xu, Y. Shi. (Oct 31, 2008). "Electromechanical coupling of PZT nanofibers", Proc. of IMECE200, 2008 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Boston, MA.
- X. Chen, Y. Shi, S. Mangla, M. Zhang. (Aug 3-6, 2008). "Modeling and simulation of a bio-mimetic MEMS actuator with self-sensing for thrombus retrieving", Proc. of the ASME 2008 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences, Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, Brooklyn, NY.
- S. Xu, Y. Shi. (Nov 25-30, 2007). "Energy harvesting from PZT nanofibers", Proc. of the Materials Research Society, Symposium K: Ferroelectrics, Multiferroics, and Magnetoelectrics, Boston, MA.
- S. Xu, Y. Shi. (Nov 11-15, 2007). "Fabrication of ITO nanofibers as gas sensor", Proc. of the 2007 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Seattle, WA.
- Shiyou Xu, Vinod Challa, Y. Shi. (Jan 10-13, 2007). "Characterization of piezoelectric response of PZT nanofibers", Proc. of the Micro Nano China 07, Sanya, Hainan, China.
- S. Xu, Y. Shi. (Nov 1-3, 2006). "Piezoelectric nanofibers and their composites for micro/nano active structures", International Symposium on NanoManufacturing, MIT, Cambridge, MA.
- Y. Shi, X. Zhang, S. Xu, S.-G. Kim. (Sep 20-22, 2006). "Fabrication and process characterization of piezoelectric nano fiber composites", Proc. of the ASME Multifunctional Nanocomposites International Conference, Honolulu, HI. .
- S. Xu, Y. Shi. (Apr 17-21, 2006). "Synthesis and characterization of ITO nanofibers by electrospinning", Proc. of the Materials Research Society, Symposium R, San Francisco, CA. .
- Y. Shi, S. Xu, S.-G. Kim, M.Libera. (Nov 28, 2005). "Structural characteristics and piezoelectric properties of electrospun piezoelectric nanofibers", Proc. of the MRS Fall Meeting, Symposium V, Boston, MA.
- Y. Shi, S. Xu, S.-G. Kim. (Sep 14-16, 2005). "Partially aligned piezoelectric nanofibers by sol-gel electrospinning process", Proc. of Nano2005, Integrated Nanosystems: Design, Synthesis and Applications, Berkeley, CA.
- Y. Shi, S.-G. Kim. (Sep 12-16, 2005). "Micro undulated contact surfaces on the contact behavior of a MEMS switch", Proc. of the Word Tribology Congress III, Washington, DC.
- Y. Shi, S.-G. Kim. (Mar 28, 2005). "Critical process issues in the fabrication of a lateral self-cleaning MEMS switch", Proc. of the MRS Spring Meeting, Symposium J, San Francisco, CA.
- Y. Shi, S.-G. Kim. (Jan 30, 2005). "A lateral, self-cleaning, direct contact MEMS switch", Proc. of the 18th IEEE International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, Miami Beach, FL.
- Yong Shi, Nesbitt W. Hagood. (Nov 2001). "Actuation Efficiency and Work Flow in Piezo-electrically Driven Systems", ASM/ASME, Adaptive Structures and Materials Systems, New York .
- Yong Shi. (1997). "The Structure Subsystem of a New Generation Communication Satellite", The Fifth annual Conference on Satellite Applications, Beijing, China .
- Yong Shi. (1994). "Filament Winding Technology of CFRP and Its Application in China’s Satellites", Chinese Technology Review Annual Conference, China .
- Yong Shi, Meng G.. (1993). "The Development of HS601 Solar Panel Coupons for Hughes", North China Technology Annual Conference, Beijing.
- ME 225 Dynamics
- ME 423 Engineering Design VII
- ME 424 Engineering Design VIII
- E 126 Mechanics of Solids
- ME 573 Introduction to Microelectromechanical Systems
- ME 470 Mechanical Engineering Systems Laboratory