Dr. Edward Stohr
- Ph.D. (1973) Information Science, University of California, Berkeley
- MBA. (1973) Information Systems, University of California, Berkeley
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering, University of Melbourne, Australia, 1959
- Big data and organizations
- Cognitive computing
- Process automation and workflow management
- Decision support
Citations: 3,795; h-index: 24; I10-index: 12 (Google Scholar)
Edward Stohr is Professor of Information Systems and Program Coordinator for the Master of Science in Business and Intelligence and Analytics program at the School of Business, Stevens Institute of Technology. Prior to joining Stevens in 2001, he was a faculty member at NYU’s Stern School of Business for over 20 years where he served as Chair of the Department of Information Systems for 11 years and as Director of Stern’s Center for Research on Information Systems for 5 years. He has held visiting appointments at INSEAD, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and Melbourne University. Professor Stohr’s research focuses on the problems of developing computer systems to support work and decision making in organizations. He has published over 90 scientific papers including articles in leading management journals such as Operations Research, Management Science, Management Information Systems Quarterly, Journal of Management Information Systems, Information & Management and Communications of the ACM. He is the co-editor of three books on information systems and is on the editorial boards of a number of leading journals. He holds an MBA and a Ph.D. degree in Information Science from the University of California, Berkeley and a B.Eng. from Melbourne University, Australia.
2001 - Professor of Information Systems,
School of Business
Stevens Institute of Technology
2011-12 Chair, Stevens Faculty Senate
2005 - School of Business AACSB Coordinator
2005- 2014 Co-Director, Center for Technology Management Research (CTMR)
2001-2006 Associate Dean for Research and Academics
1979-2000 Professor of Information Systems Information Systems Department, Stern School. New York University
1995-2000 Director, Center for Research in Information Systems
1983- 1994 Chair, Information Systems Department (during this period the department was often ranked among the top 5 programs in the country.)
1977-1979 Associate Professor of Decision Sciences
School of Management, Northwestern University.
1973-1977 Assistant Professor of Decision Sciences Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University.
1973 Instructor, University of California, Berkeley
- Henry Morton Distinguished Teaching Professor, 2013
- Honorary Lifetime Member, Global Institute for Flexible Systems Management.
· Member of the Academic Advisory Committee of the Institute for Innovation, Information and Productivity (IIIP)
· Howe School Outstanding Service Award, 2006
· Howe School Outstanding Service Award, 2004
· Research Professor, Stern School of Business, NYU, 1998-2001
· Citibank Award for Excellence in Teaching, Stern School of Business,
2001– Information Management Program
Stevens Institute of Technology
1979-2000 Information Systems Department, Stern School , New York University.
1977-1979 Associate Professor of Decision Sciences, School of Management, Northwestern University.
1973-1977 Assistant Professor of Decision Sciences, Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University.
1973-1973 Instructor, University of California, Berkeley.
1969-1973 Full‑time course work leading to Ph.D.. Information Sciences,University of California, Berkeley
1967-1969 Full‑time course work leading to a degree of Master of Business Administration, University of California, Berkeley.
Visiting Appointments at Other Academic Institutions
2005 Visiting Professor, University of Melbourne, (July - August, 2005)
1996 Visiting Professor, University of Economics and Business, Vienna (Summer)
1996 Visiting Professor, ISMT Department, Hong University of Science and Technology (Spring)
1987 Visiting Professor, INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France (Spring semester)
- Honorary Lifetime Member, Global Institute for Flexible Systems Management (GIFT)
- Founding member and Vice Chair, Technology ManagementEducation Association (TMEDA)
- Member, Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Member, The Institute of Management Sciences (TIMS)
- Founding Member, Association for Information Systems (AIS)
|Business Continuity in the Pharmaceutical Industry||AT& T Foundation||$50,000||6/1/03 – 9/1/04||Lou Laucirica, E. Stohr||Paul Rohmeyer|
|Strategic Multi-Project Resource Management, “CC-Lite”||NASA||$75,000||6/1/04 – 12/31/04||Thomas Lechler||E. Stohr|
|A Methodology and Process for Managing Portfolios of Homeland Security Programs||Homeland Security Institute||$48,000||3/1/05 – 12/31/05||J. Hultin,E. Stohr||H. Fallah, Fred Murphy|
|Definition of the Productivity of ICT in the Era of Cyberspace||Institute for Information Innovation and Productivity (IIIP)||$14,000||3/1/2009 = 12/31/2010||Niv Ahituv, Tel Aviv University, E. Stohr|
- Horwitch, Mel and Edward A. Stohr (2012). "Transforming technology management education: Value creation-learning in the early twenty-first century", Journal of Engineering and Technology Management 29(4) 489 – 507.
- Chiang, Roger H.L., Paulo Goes and Edward A. Stohr (2102). "Business Intelligence and Analytics Education and Program Development: A Unique Opportunity for the Information Systems Discipline", ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems (TMIS). 3(3) October 2012.
- Ronen, Boaz, Thomas Lechler and Edward A. Stohr. "The 25/25 Rule: Achieving More by Doing Less", International Journal of Production Research. 50(24): pp. 7126-7133 (2011).
- Morabito, J. I. Sack, E. Stohr and A, Bhate. "Architecting Flexible Organizations", Global Journal of Flexible Systems Management , GIFT Society.
- Davern, M.J., R. Mantena, and E.A. Stohr. (2008). "Diagnosing Decision Quality", Forthcoming. Download (258 kb PDF).
- Kamis, Arnold A Stohr, Edward A. (2006). "Parametric Search Engines: What Makes them Effective when Shopping Online for Differentiated Products", Information & Management, 43 (7), 904-918.
- Lechler, T., Ronen, B., Stohr E. A.. (2005). "Critical Chain: A New Project Management Paradigm or Old Wine in New Bottles?", Engineering Management Journal, 17 (4), 45-58.
- Edward A. Stohr. (Aug 2001). "Workflow Automation: Overview and Research Issues", Informations Systems Frontiers.
- J. Leon Zhao, Akhil Kumar, Edward A. Stohr. (Mar 2000). "Workflow-centric Communication Mechanisms for Organizational Knowledge Distribution", Journal of Management Information Systems.
- John T. Gorgone and Paul Gray (Co-chairs) with David L. Feinstein, George M. Kasper, Jerry N. Luftman, Edward A. Stohr, Joseph S. Valacich, Rolf T. Wigand.. (Jan 2000). "MSIS 2000: Model Curriculum and Guidelines for Graduate Programs in Information Systems", Communications of AIS, 3 (1).
- Edward A. Stohr, J. Leon Zhao. (Mar 1999). "Temporal Workflow Management in a Claim Handling System", Software Engineering Notes, 24 (2), 187-95.
- Wayne Huang and Edward A. Stohr. (2007). "Design and Implementation of a Business Process Rules Engine".
- Edward A Friedman, Edward A. Stohr. (Oct 25, 2006). "Technology Management for Global Development - A Conceptual Framework", to be presented at the Academy of Management BAWB Global Forum: "Management Knowledge Leading Positive Change" Conference, Case Western University .
- Stohr, Edward and Nickerson, Jeffrey V.. (2003). "Enterprise Integration: Methods and Direction", in Strategic Alignment, J. Luftman, Oxford University Press.
- Joseph Morabito, Edward A. Stohr. (2002). "Online Analytical Processing and Applications in E-Commerce", in The Internet Encyclopedia, Bigdolil, Hossein, John Wiley & Sons.
- Edward A. Stohr, Jeffrey V. Nickerson. (2002). "Intra Enterprise Integration: Methods and Direction", in Competing in the Information Age: Align in the Sand, Oxford University Press, NY.
- Edward A. Stohr, Larry White , Sivakumar Viswanathan. (2000). "America Online Inc.: The Portal Era.", in Cases in Electronic Commerce, Sid Huff, Mike Wade, Michael Parent, Scott Schneberger and Peter Newson, Irwin/McGraw-Hill.
- Edward A. Stohr, S. Viswana. (1999). "Recommendation Systems", in Emerging Information Technologies, Kendall, Kenneth E, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Huang, Wayne and Edward A. Stohr. (2007). "Design and Implementation of a Business Process Rules Engine", 2nd Annual International Conference on Design Science Research in Information Systems and Technology (DESRIST), Pasadena CA .
- Edward A. Stohr, Russell P. Stohr. (Jun 2001). "Transaction Breaks: A Litany of Errors", Proc. Thirteenth Bled Electronic Commerce Conference, Bled Slovenia.
- Michael Bieber, II Im, Ricki Goldman-Segall, Starr Roxanne Hiltz, Ravi Paul, Jennifer Preece, Ron Rice, Edward A. Stohr, Murray Turoff. (2000). "Towards Knowledge-Sharing and Learning in Virtual Professional Communities", Hawaii International Conference on Information Sciences.
- Edward A. Stohr, Akhil Kumar, J. Leon Zhao. (Dec 2000). "Organizational Concept Space: A Dynamic Grouping Approach to Organizational Knowledge Distribution", Proc. WITS, 2000, Brisbane Australia.
- Edward A. Stohr, J. Leon Zhao. (Aug 2000). "Building Workflow Engines for Commerce Logic Applications", Proc.of Americas Conference on Information Systems, Long Beach, CA.
- J. Leon Zhao, Akhil Kumar, Edward A. Stohr. (Jan 2000). "A Workflow-Centric Model of Organizational Knowledge Distribution", Proc. Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences.
- MIS 710 Process Innovation and Management
- BIA 650 Optimization and Process Analytics
- BIA 702 Curricular Practical Training