Jan. 1998 – Dec. 2001 Ph.D. Physics, University of Bremen, Germany, Thesis title: “Impurity luminescence of wide band gap semiconductors”, Advisors: Profs. Juergen Gutowski and Detlef Hommel
Oct. 1993 - Dec. 1997 M.Sc. Physics, University of Bremen, German, Thesis title: “Defect luminescence of ZnSe and GaN under resonant laser excitation”., Advisor Prof. Juergen Gutowski
Oct. 1991 - July 1993 B.S. Physics, University of Bremen, Germany
My group works on fundamental research in nanophotonics and nanoelectronics and its applications for optoelectronic and quantum photonics devices. Applications target novel quantum light sources, nanolasers, tunable light detectors, flexible solar cells, as well as on-chip platforms for optical quantum computing. A strong focus is to control the light-matter interaction utilizing either dielectric or plasmonic nanocavities and to explore the photophysical properties of excitons and their interaction with phonons and plasmons at the nanoscale. Our targeted materials are carbon nanotubes,
monolayer transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDCs) and hexagonal Boron Nitride color centers. We also have new efforts in growth and nanofabrication of Lithium Niobate (LiNbO3) for on-chip quantum memory applications.
For more information please visit the nanophotonics lab web page.
Mar. 2018 – present, Stevens Institute of Technology (SIT), Hoboken, NJ, USA
Full Professor (tenured) and Associate Department Chair, Department of Physics
Mar. 2012 – Feb.2018, Stevens Institute of Technology (SIT), Hoboken, NJ, USA
Associate Professor (tenured) of Physics and Engineering Physics
Sep. 2006 – Feb. 2012, Stevens Institute of Technology (SIT), Hoboken, NJ, USA
Assistant Professor (tenure track) of Physics and Engineering Physics
Jan 2003 – July 2006, University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB), USA
Postdoctoral Researcher, Co-advised by: Profs. Pierre Petroff and Dirk Bouwmeester
Jan 2002- Dec 2002, Institute of Solid-State Physics, University of Bremen, Germany
Postdoctoral Researcher, Advisor: Prof. Peter Michler
- 2011 NSF CAREER award
- 2011 Invited Lange Lecturer, Materials Department, UC Santa Barbara
- 2011 Provost Award “In recognition of outstanding achievements in research and scholarship”
- 2008 Harvey N. Davies Memorial Award for Research Excellence, Stevens Institute of Technology (one award per year)
2003-2004, Postdoctoral fellowship, 18 month, Max-Kade Foundation, NYC, USA. Granted proposal: "Quantum dots in microcavities for efficient single photon generation"
- 2002, Postdoctoral fellowship, 12 month, Institute of Solid-State Physics, University of Bremen, Germany
- Summa Cum Laude Honor (2002) University of Bremen, Germany
Member, Optical Society of America (OSA)
Member, American Physical Society (APS)
Member, Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft (DPG)
NSF “RAISE-EQuiP: Integrated Higher-Dimensional Quantum Photonics Platform.” PI: L. Feng at UPenn, Co-PIs: S. Strauf and R. Agarwal. 10/01/2018-09/30/2021, $749,999.
NSF DMR-EPM “Collaborative Research: Plasmonic lasing with two-dimensional heterostructures in the intrinsic regime”, PI: S. Strauf, Co-PI: J. Hone at Columbia. 8/15/2018 - 08/14/2021. $489,998.
NSF EFRI “ACQUIRE: Development of Heterogenous Platform for Chip-Based Quantum Information Applications.” PI: A. Gaeta at Columbia, Co-PIs: S. Strauf, Y. Huang, A.&M.Foster. 08/02/2016-08/01/2020, $2,000,000.
NSF DMR-EPM, “Collaborative Research: Cavity-Enhanced Exciton Emission from Carbon Nanotubes in the Intrinsic Regime”, PI: S. Strauf, Co-PI: J. Hone at Columbia, 07/01/15 - 12/31/18, $485,199
NSF ECCS-EPMD, “MRI: Acquisition of cryogen-free low-temperature scanning-probe spectroscopy system for nanophotonic and nanoelectronic device characterization”. PI: S. Strauf, Co-PI’s:Y.Huang, EH Yang, S. Lee, and S. Podkolzin, 09/01/15-08/31/18, $445,714
NSF-CAREER “ Scalable quantum photonic devices based on vertical quantum dots and photonic crystals”, Sole PI: Stefan Strauf, 02/01/11-01/31/15, $400,000
NSF-CAREER Supplement, “Aquisition of supercontinuum laser system” and REU supplement, Sole PI: Stefan Strauf,08/01/11-07/31/12, $40,857
AFOSR, “Wavelength-Tunable IR Detector based on Suspended Bilayer Graphene Micro Ribbons”, PI: EH Yang Co-PI: S. Strauf, 07/01/12-06/30/15, $375,000
NSF EPDM: “Bandgap-Tunable Graphene Nanoribbons for High Speed, Ultra-Wide-Band Photodetectors”, PI: EH Yang, Co-PI Stefan Strauf, 08/01/11-07/31/14, $375,000,
NSF-MRI “MRI: Acquisition of a Nanoimprint Lithography System for Nanoscience Research and Education based on Low-Dimensional Materials”, PI: EH Yang, Co-PIs: Stefan Strauf, David Capelleri, Ronald Besser, Chang-Hwan Choi, 01/01/11-12/31/13, $170,000
NSF-MRI: “Acquisition of an Inductively Coupled Plasma (ICP) Etching System for Nano/Micro Device Fabrication”; PI; Yong Shi, Co-PI’s: Stefan Strauf, Chang-Hwan Choi, Frank Fisher, EH Yang, 03/01/09 – 02/31/12, $283,290
AFOSR: “Ultra-High-Speed Single Electron Memory Devices based on Carbon Nanotube Quantum Dots”, PI: EH Yang, Co-PIs: Stefan Strauf, Frank Fisher, Daniel Choi (U. Idaho), 03/01/08 – 02/31/11, $273,254
US Army, Armament Research Development & Engineering Center (ARDEC), Munitions Engineering Technology Center (METC): W15QKN-05-D-0011-57: “Carbon-based Electron Wave Interferometer for Chip-Scale Gyroscopes for Guided, Gun Launched Munitions and Missiles”, PI: Yang, Co-PI’s Strauf and Search, Oct 2010 – Oct 2011
US Army, Armament Research Development & Engineering Center (ARDEC), Munitions Engineering Technology Center (METC): W15QKN-05-D-0011-57: “Carbon-based Electron Wave Interferometer for Chip-Scale Gyroscopes for Guided, Gun Launched Munitions and Missiles”, PI: Yang, Co-PI’s Strauf and Search, Sep 2009 – Sep 2010
US Army, Armament Research Development & Engineering Center (ARDEC): W15QKN-05-D-0011-47: “Network Embedded Security for Critical Communication, Subtask 18.104.22.168 - Quantum Cryptography”, PI: Yang, Co-PI’s Strauf and Search, Sep 2008-Mar 2010
- Y. Luo, G.D. Shepard, J.V. Ardelean, D.A. Rhodes, B. Kim, K. Barmak, J. Hone, and S. Strauf. "Deterministic coupling of site-controlled quantum emitters in monolayer WSe2 to plasmonic nanocavities ", Nature Nanotechnology, Oct.29, (2018).
- K Shayan, X He, Y Luo, C Rabut, X Li, N Hartmann, J Blackburn, S Doorn, H. Htoon, and S. Strauf. "Suppression of exciton dephasing in sidewall-functionalized carbon nanotubes embedded into metallo-dielectric antennas", Nanoscale 10, 12631 (2018).
- X. Kong, K. Shayan, S. Lee, C. Ribeiro, S. Strauf, S.S. Lee. "Remarkable long-term stability of nanoconfined metal-halide perovskite crystals against degradation and polymorph transitions", Nanoscale 10, 8320 (2018).
- Y. Luo, E.D. Ahmadi, K. Shayan, Y. Ma, K. Mistry, C. Zhang, J. Hone, J.L. Blackburn, and S. Strauf. "Near-unity quantum yield from carbon nanotube excitons coupled to plasmonic nanocavities ", Nature Communications 8, 1413 (2017).
- X. He, B. Gifford, N. F. Hartmann, R. Ihly, X. Ma, S. Kilina, Y. Luo, K. Shayan, S. Strauf, J.L. Blackburn, S. Tretiak, 11 S.K. Doorn, and H. Htoon. "Low temperature single nanotube spectroscopy of sp3 quantum defects", ACS Nano 11, 10785 (2017).
- G.D. Shepard, J.V. Ardelean, D.Rhodes, X.Y. Zhu, J. Hone, and S. Strauf. "Trion-species-resolved quantum beats in MoSe2", ACS Nano 11, 11550 (2017).
- K. Shayan, C. Rabut, X. Kong, X. Li, Y. Luo, K.S. Mistry, J.L. Blackburn, S. Lee, and S. Strauf. "Broadband light collection efficiency enhancement of carbon nanotube excitons coupled to metallo-dielectric antennas", ACS Photonics 5, 289 (2017).
- X. Li, G.D. Shepard, A. Cupo, N. Camporeale, K. Shayan, Y. Luo, V. Meunier, and S. Strauf. "Non-magnetic quantum emitters in boron nitride with ultra-narrow and sideband-free emission spectra", ACS Nano 11, 6652 (2017).
- O.A. Ajayi, J.V. Ardelean, G.D. Shepard, J. Wang, A. Antony, T. Taniguchi, K. Watanabe, T.F. Heinz, S. Strauf, X.-Y. Zhu, and J. Hone. "Approaching the intrinsic photoluminescence linewidth in transition metal dichalcogenide monolayers", 2D Materials 4, 031011 (2017).
- G.D. Shepard, O.A. Ajayi, X. Li, X.-Y. Zhu, and J. Hone, S. Strauf. "Nanobubble induced formation of quantum emitters in monolayer semiconductors", 2D Materials 4, 021019 (2017).
- Y Luo, X Li, X Zhang, S Prybolsky, GD Shepard, S Strauf. "Tunable multipole resonances in plasmonic crystals made by four-beam holographic lithography", Applied Physics Letters 108 (5), 053105 (2016).
- I. Sarpkaya, Ehsaneh D. Ahmadi, Gabriella D. Shepard, Kevin S. Mistry, Jeffrey L. Blackburn, and S. Strauf. "Strong Acoustic Phonon Localization in Copolymer-Wrapped Carbon Nanotubes", ACS Nano 9, 6383 (2015).
- I. Sarpkaya, Z. Zhang , W. Walden-Newman, X. Wang, J. Hone, C.W. Wong, and S. Strauf. "Prolonged spontaneous emission and dephasing of localized excitons in air-bridged carbon nanotubes", Nature Communications 4, 3152 (2013).
- J.Zheng, Y. Li, N. Goldberg, M. McDonald, X. Luan, A. Hati, M. Lu, S. Strauf, T. Zelevinsky, D.A. Howe, and C.W. Wong. "Feedback and harmonic locking of slot-type optomechanical oscillators to external low-noise reference clocks", Appl. Phys. Lett. 102, 141117 (2013).
- Xi Zhang and Stefan Strauf. "Formation of triplet and quadruplet plasmonic nanoarray templates by holographic lithography", Appl. Phys. Lett. 102, 093110 (2013).
- V. Patil, A. Capone, S. Strauf, and EH Yang. "Improved photoresponce with enhanced photoelectric contribution in fully suspended graphene photodetectors", Nature Scientific Reports 3, 279 (2013).
- W. Walden-Newman, I. Sarpkaya, and S. Strauf. "Quantum Light Signatures and Nanosecond Spectral Diffusion from Cavity-Embedded Carbon Nanotubes", Nano Letters 12, 1934 (2012).
- P. Hawkins, M. Begliarbekov, M. Zivkovic, S. Strauf, C. Search. "Quantum Transport in Graphene Nanoribbons with Realistic Edges", J. of Phys. Chem. C 116, 18382 (2012).
- M. Begliarbekov, K. Sasaki, O. Sul, EH Yang, and S. Strauf. "Optical control of edge chirality in graphene", Nano Letters 11, 4874 (2011).
- X. Zhang, M. Theuring, Q. Song, W. Mao, M. Begliarbekov, and S. Strauf. "Holographic Control of Motive Shape in Plasmonic Nanogap Arrays", NanoLetters 11, 2715 (2011).
- J. Li, X. Chen, N. Ai, J. Hao, Q. Chen, S. Strauf, and Y. Shi. "Silver nanoparticle doped TiO2 nanofiber dye sensitized solar cells", Chem. Phys. Lett. 514, 141 (2011).
- K. Kumar, O. Sul, S. Strauf, D.S. Choi, F. Fisher, M.G. Prasad, and E.H. Yang. (Jul 2011). "A Study on Carbon-Nanotube Local Oxidation Lithography Using an Atomic Force Microscope", IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, 10 (4), 849-854.
- M. Begliarbekov, O. Sul, J. Santanello, N. Ai, Z. Zhang, EH Yang, and S. Strauf. (2011). "Localized States and Resultant Band Bending in Graphene Antidot Superlattices", Nanoletters, 11, 1254.
- N. Ai, W. Walden-Newman, Q. Song, S. Kalliakos, and S. Strauf. (2011). "Suppression of Blinking and Enhanced Light Emission from Individual Carbon Nanotubes", ACS Nano, 5, 102885.
- S. Strauf. (2011). "Lasing Woodpiles ", Nature Photonics, 5, 72.
- M. Begliarbekov, S. Strauf, and C.P. Search. (2011). "Quantum Inductance and High Frequency Oscillators in Graphene Nanoribbons", Nanotechnology, 11, 165203.
- S. Strauf. (2010). "Quantum Optics: Towards efficient quantum sources", Nature Photonics, 4, 132.
- S. Strauf. (2010). "Cavity-QED: Lasing under strong coupling", Nature Physics, 6, 244.
- M. Begliarbekov, O. Sul, N. Ai, E. H. Yang, S. Strauf. (Oct 2010). "Aperiodic conductivity oscillations in quasi-ballistic graphene heterojunctions", Appl. Phys. Lett., 97, 122106.
- M. Begliarbekov, O. Sul, S. Kalliakos, E. H. Yang, S. Strauf. (2010). "Determination of Edge Purity in Bilayer Graphene Using micro-Raman Spectrosopy", Appl. Phys. Lett., 97, 031908.
- N. Ai, O. Sul, M. Begliarbekov, Q. Song, K. Kumar, D. S. Choi, E. H. Yang, S. Strauf. (2010). "Transconductance and Coulomb blockade properties of in-plane grown carbon nanotube field effect transistors", Nanosci. Nanotechnol. Lett. , 2, 73-78.
- K. Kumar, S. Strauf, and E.H. Yang. (2010). "A Systematic Study of Graphite Local Oxidation Lithography Parameters Using an Atomic Force Microscope", Nanosci. Nanotechnol. Lett., 2, 185-188.
- J.-S. Choi, M. T. Rakher, K. Hennessy, S. Strauf, A. Badolato, P. M. Petroff, E. Hu, D. Bouwmeester. (2007). "Evolution of the onset of coherence in a family of photonic crystal nanolasers", Appl. Phys. Lett., 91, 031108 . APL-Link .
- S. Strauf, N.G. Stoltz, M.T. Rakher, L.A. Coldren, P.M. Petroff, and D. Bouwmeester. (2007). "High frequency single photon source with polarization control", Nature Photonics, 1, 704. NPhoton-Link .
- S. Strauf, K. Hennessy, M.T. Rakher, Y.-S. Choi, A. Badolato, L. C. Andreani, E. L. Hu, P. M. Petroff, and D. Bouwmeester. (2006). "Self-tuned quantum dot gain in photonic crystal laser", Phys. Rev. Lett., 96, 127404. PRL-Link .
- S. Strauf, M. T. Rakher, I. Carmeli, K. Hennessy, C. Meier, A. Badolato, M.J.A. DeDood, E. G. Gwinn, P. M. Petroff, E. L. Hu, and D. Bouwmeester. (2006). "Frequency control of photonic-crystal membrane resonators by mono-layer deposition", Appl. Phys. Lett., 88, 043116. APL-Link .
- B. D. Gerardot, S. Strauf, M. J. A. DeDood, A. Bychkov, A. Badolato, K. Hennessy, E. L. Hu, D. Bouwmeester and P. M. Petroff. (2005). "Photon Statistics from Coupled Quantum Dots", Phys. Rev. Lett., 95, 137403. PRL-Link .
- N. G. Stoltz, M. T. Rakher, S. Strauf, A. Badolato, D. D. Loftgreen, P. M. Petroff, L. A. Coldren, and D. Bouwmeester. (2005). "High-Q optical microcavities using oxid apertured micropillars", Appl. Phys. Lett., 87, 031105. APL-Link .
- S. M. Ulrich, S. Strauf, P. Michler, G. Bacher, and A. Forchel. (2003). "Triggered polarization-correlated photon pairs from a single CdSe quantum dot", Appl. Phys. Lett., 83, 1848. APL-Link .
- S. Strauf, P. Michler, M. Klude, D. Hommel, G. Bacher, and A. Forchel. (2002). "Quantum Optical Studies on Individual Acceptor Bound Excitons in a Semiconductor", Phys. Rev. Lett., 89, 177403. PRL-Link .
- PEP 503 Introduction to Solid State Physics
- PEP 209 Modern Optics
- PEP 509 Intermediate Waves and Optics
- NANO 600 Nanoscale Science and Technology
- EE 509 Intermediate Waves and Optics
- PEP 221 Physics Lab I for Scientists
- PEP 740 The Physics of Nanostructures
- PEP 222 Physics Lab II for Scientists
- NANO 525 Techniques of Surface and Nanostructure Characterization
- PEP 211 Physics Lab for Engineers