Dr. Leslie Brunell
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, 1996. Stevens Institute of Technology Dissertation: Application of Non-Point Source Models to Predict Surface Water Quality Resulting From Golf Course Management Practices. Advisor: Dr. Dimitris Dermatas
- M.E. Civil and Environmental Engineering, 1990 Stevens Institute of Technology
- B.E. Civil Engineering, 1986 Stevens Institute of Technology
Proposal submitted to the NJDEP 319(h) for a “One Day Short Course Curve Number Rainfall Runoff: Professional Application.” Co-PI with Hunter Birckhead, P.E., PP, USDA NRCS Technical Provider, Hunterdon County, NJ.
Currently working with the Rockland County Task Force on Water Resources Management, Rockland County Planning Department to assess measures to decrease Stormwater Runoff and increase infiltration to supplement groundwater supplies. This work is in conjunction with Dr. Elizabeth Fassman.
Community Engagement at Stantec. Funding request to support Senior Design at $4000 per year. Received funding in 2012 - 2018 ($24,000).
New Jersey Botanical Gardens, Digitizing the Gardens, proposal submitted with Dr. Sarath Jagupilla, March 2015. Total amount requested $56,000.
Submitted proposals for a new Fluids Laboratory to NSF. Program Solicitation NSF 06-536 Course, Curriculum and Laboratory Improvement (CCLI). Co-PI with Dr. Herrington, “Assessment of Engineering Fluid Mechanics Laboratory instruction through Discover Learning Principles.” Total amount requested approximately $150,000. (2006, 2007, 2008)
Consulting Engineer (1989 - 2003) Medina Consultants, P.C. Hackettstown, New Jersey. Designed the drainage for several sections of the proposed New Jersey Transit Light Rail Line in Hudson County, New Jersey. Including site investigation and associated environmental permits. Developed the site plan and associated drainage for the Hamilton Train Station in Hamilton Township, New Jersey
Developed the individual septic system designs and lot grading plans for a 45 lot single-family residential development in Montville, New Jersey. Designed the storm drainage for several residential developments in New Jersey, including detention/retention basins, analysis of existing and proposed conditions, as well as meeting New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection requirements and filing for necessary state and local permits. Prepared the hydrologic and hydraulic calculations of several sites for the application of NJDEP Stream Encroachment Permits and net fill requirements. Also involved in reviewing site plans for municipal planning boards
Project Engineer (1988 - 1989). Buck, Seifert and Jost Paramus, New Jersey. Developed the site plans for residential and industrial complexes. Prepared and submitted the required documentation for New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection stream encroachment, sanitary sewer extensions, wetlands and other related permits
Civil Engineer - Water Resources Division (1986 - 1988). The RBA Group. Morristown, New Jersey. Engineered diverse projects including storm drainage design for the New Jersey Department of Transportation, shoreline protections and flood control plans for the Army Corps of Engineers. Developed a countywide stormwater management plan for the Debois Creek and Manalapan Brook Watersheds. Engineered several site plans and various New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Permits
- Associate Chair of Undergraduate Academics, Department of Civil, Environmental and Ocean Engineering, 2017 - present.
- Facilities Committee of the Stevens Institute of Technology Board of Trustees, 2016-2018.
- ADVANCE Stevens Family-Friendly Policies and Benefits Committee
- Alumni and Development Committee of the Stevens Institute of Technology Board of Trustees, 2011 – 2015
- Stevens Institute of Technology Alumni Awards Committee, 2012 – 2015
- Multidiscipline Design Committee, 2011 – Present
- School of Engineering Design Committee, 2001 – Present
- Committee on Committees, 2009 – 2013
Department of Civil, Environmental and Ocean Engineering:
- Director of off campus Civil Engineering Master degree program in Water Resources at Langan Engineering. Average enrollment of 16 students per semester.
- Faculty search committee
- Department Chair search committee
- Civil Engineering Program Committee, 2003 – Present
- ABET Civil Engineering Program Committee (2014-15)
- Advisor for all Civil Engineering undergraduate students who Study Abroad.
- Chair of Faculty Search Committee for Water Resources Faculty Position (2012-2013)
- Applications of the Envision Rating System in Engineering Courses and Curricula, ASEE Annual Conference, June 2018.
- Curve Number Rainfall-Runoff Professional Applications, August 2016.
- AutoCAD 2016, Continuing Education at Bergen Community College, July 2016.
- Participating in the Faculty Professional Development and Leadership Program (ExcelA: Excel in Academia) 2015 – 2016 academic year.
- ASCE-EWRI workshop on Modeling for Watershed Management (CEU) May 2015.
- AutoCAD short course, June 2012.
- Webinars given by ASCE and SWE some of which count toward CEU
- ExcEEd Teaching workshop Assistant Mentor, July 2005.
- ExcEEd (Excellent in Engineering Education Teaching Workshop), July 2004
U.S. Pat. App. 14/712,042 – Vibrational Energy Harvesting for Structural Health Instrumentation (“VEHSHI”) – Stevens Institute of Technology Ref. 101995.039901. This patent is with work completed with Dr. Marcus Rutner and a senior design team.
Sponsored Civil Engineering Senior Design Projects, industry support of student projects, since 2000. Receive $20,000 to $24,000 annually from firms including:
- Thornton Tomasetti
- The Louis Berger Group
- Naik Consulting Group
- Stantec (Community Engagement Program)
- McLaren Engineering
- Structural Workshop
Developed and implemented Multidisciplinary Senior Design in conjunction with the Office of Innovation and Entrepreneurship (2011 – present).
Graduate Program in Water Resources Engineering (implemented in 2001)
Graduate Certificate in Water Resources Engineering (implemented in 2001)
- ASCE North Jersey Branch, Educator of the Year - 2017
- Campus Rainworks Challenge 2ndPlace, April 2016, USEPA Office of Water
- Distinguished Teaching Faculty Award, April 2016, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Advancement of Invention and Process Award, 2014, New Jersey Inventors Hall of Fame
- ASCE North Jersey Branch, Educator of the Year – 2007
- Educator of the Year, 2003, Consulting Engineers Council of New Jersey
Teaching Professor, January 2017 - Present, Full Time
Teaching Associate Professor, 2013 – January 2017, Full Time
Teaching Assistant Professor, 2007 - 2013, Full Time
Director, Water Resources Graduate Program, 2003 - Present
Lecturer in Civil Engineering, 2001 - 2007, Full Time
Adjunct Faculty, 1997 - 2001, Part Time
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- ASCE Task Force for ASCE student competitions and the 2018-19 Student Steel Bridge Competition transition.
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Women in Academia Committee (WIA)
- American Society of Engineering Educators (ASEE)
- Environmental Water Resources Institute (EWRI)
- ASCE-EWRI Students Council – Committee Member
- Leslie Brunell. " A Real World Approach to Introducing Sustainability in Civil Engineering Education", ASCE-EWRI Annual Congress, Pittsburgh, PA, May 2019.. ASCE.
- Sandra Furnbach-Clavijo, Leslie Brunell, Keith Sheppard and Kishore Pochiraju. "Teaching Entrepreneurial Thinking Through a Companion Course for All Types of Capstone Senior Design Projects", ASEE 2018 Annual Conference, Salt Lake City, UT, June 2018.. ASEE.
- Leslie Brunell and Dawn Digrius. "Sin el agua no hay vida: “Without Water there is no life, Providing Engineering Undergraduates Opportunities for Real-Time Learning for Student Persistence and Retention", ASCE-EWRI Annual Congress, Minneapolis, MN, June 2018.
- Leslie Brunell and Dawn Digrius. "Professional Interaction with Undergraduate Engineering Students, Designing Solutions to Real World Problems while Completing the Capstone Design", Society of Women Engineers Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA, October 2016.
- Leslie Brunell and Elizabeth Fassman-Beck,. "Dual Opportunity for Education and Outreach to Evaluate Benefits of GI Implementation", ASCE-EWRI International Low Impact Development Conference, Portland, Maine, August 2016.. ASCE.
- Leslie Brunell and Dawn Digrius. "Sin el agua no hay vida: Providing Under-Represented Engineering Undergraduates Opportunities for Real-Time Learning for Student Persistence and Retention", American Society for Engineering Education Pacific Southwest Conference, April 2016.. ASEE.
- Leslie Brunell. "Utilization of Canvas Blackboard Collaborate for Remote Instruction", NJEdge faculty showcase, March 2016.. NJEdge.
- L.B. Brunell. (Jul 2002). "Surface and Ground Water Issues Exposed in Project Based Learning.", Presented at the American Water Resources Association Summer Specialty Conference.
- R. Meyer, D. Dermatas and L. Brunell. (Jun 1996). "Application of Non-Point Source Models to Predict Surface Water Quality Resulting From Golf Course Management Practices", Presented at the Water Environment Federation Specialty Conference "Watershed 1996".
- L.N. Reddi and L. Brunell. (Oct 1991). "A Hierarchy of Models to Asses Surface and Groundwater Impacts Due to Agricultural Pollutants", Presented at the FOCUS Conference on Eastern Regional Ground Water Issues.
- CE 342 Fluid Mechanics
- CE 304 Water Resources Engineering
- CE 381 Civil Engineering Measurements Lab
- CE 423 Engineering Design VII
- CE 424 Engineering Design VIII