Dr. Nickitas Georgas
- Ph.D. (Ocean Engineering), 2010; Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ
- M.S. (Marine Environmental Sciences), 2001; Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY
- NYS A.G.C. (Waste Management), 2001; Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY
- Coastal Management, 2000; International Advanced School Leonardo Da Vinci, Bologna, ITA
- B.S. (Physics), 1996; University of Crete, Heraklion, GRE
- Estuarine and coastal ocean dynamics
- Development of numerical models to forecast hydrodynamics and water quality of inland and coastal waters
- Coastal engineering studies along Eastern Seaboard of United States involving feasibility, impact evaluation, use-attainability, TMDL/WLA/LA, BMP, and dredging assessments, by designing and coupling hydrodynamic, sediment transport, and water quality models
- Contributing author to the New York City Panel on Climate Change 2015 Report
- Co-PI of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Flood Advisory System
- Co-PI of the New Jersey Transit Coastal Storm Surge Emergency Warning System
- Co-PI of the Mid-Atlantic Regional Association of Coastal Ocean Observing Systems (MARACOOS)
- Member of the Coastal Environment Committee of the American Meteorological Society's Science and Technological Activities Commission (STAC)
- Hudson River Environmental Conditions Observing System meetings (HRECOS)
- Coordinating committee member of the Hudson River Sustainable Shorelines project
- Organizing committee member of the International Conference on Estuarine and Coastal Modeling (ECM)
- Steering Committee member for the annual Mid-Atlantic Bight Physical Oceanography and Meteorology Meeting: http://www.stevens.edu/ses/cms/mabpom-2010
- Elected member of the Stevens Institute of Technology's Research and Enterpreneurship Committee
Honors & Awards
Honors and Appointments:
- Conservation Achievement Award granted by the NY-NJ Harbor & Estuary Program and the NYSDEC Hudson River Estuary Program for the HRECOS system, 2017
- MIT Climate CoLab's award on Adaptation for the Sustainable Shorelines project, 2016
- John P. Breslin Award, Outstanding Graduate Student in Ocean Engineering, 2010
- President's Citation Award, Stevens Police Department, 2009
- American Shore and Beach Preservation Association educational award, 2006
- Honorary mention as outstanding editor for the Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 2004
- Sigma-Ξ Outstanding Young Scientist Award, 2000
- Third International Poster Prize in Coastal Zone Processes, University of Bologna, ITA, 2000
- Recipient of the Akira Okubo Travel Award, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY, 2000
- American Geophysical Union, Member
- American Meteorological Society, Member
- Water Environment Federation, Member
- American Shore and Beach Preservation Association, Member
- American Water Resources Association, Member
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Associate Member
- New York Water Environment Association, Affiliate Member
Assistant Director, Operational Forecasts; Davidson Laboratory
- Schulte, J. A., Georgas, N., Saba, V. and P. Howell. (Jul 12, 2017). "Meteorological Aspects of the Eastern North American Pattern with Impacts on Long Island Sound Salinity", Journal of Marine Science and Engineering; Special Issue Prediction of Weather and Climate Effects on Integrated Watershed, Estuarine, and Coastal Ocean Dynamics., MDPI. 26 (5), 27. Download JMSE Link .
- Marsooli, R., Orton, P. M., Mellor, G., Georgas, N., and A. F. Blumberg. "A Coupled Circulation-Wave Model for Numerical Simulation of Storm Tides and Waves", Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, AMS. 34 (7), AMS JTECH Link .
- Jordi, A., Georgas, N. & Blumberg, A.. (Apr 1, 2017). "A parallel domain decomposition algorithm for coastal ocean circulation models based on integer linear programming", Ocean Dynamics, Springer. 67 (5), 639-649. Online Link .
- Orton, P.M., Hall, T.M., Talke, S.A., Blumberg, A.F., Georgas, N. and S. Vinogradov. (Dec 31, 2016). "A validated tropical-extratropical flood hazard assessment for New York Harbor", Journal of Geophysical Research / Oceans, AGU. 121 (12), 8904–8929. JGR Online Link .
- Georgas, N., Blumberg, A., Herrington, T., Wakeman, T., Saleh, F., Runnels, D., Jordi, A., Ying, K., Yin, L., Ramaswamy, V., Yakubovskiy, A., Lopez, A., McNally, J., Schulte, J. and Y. Wang. (Aug 31, 2016). "The Stevens Flood Advisory System: Operational H3E flood forecasts for the Greater New York / New Jersey Metropolitan Region.", Special Issue of the International Journal for Safety and Security Engineering., WIT Press. 6 (3), 648 - 662. SAFE Link .
- Georgas, N., Yin, L., Jiang, Y., Wang, Y., Howell, P., Saba, V., J. Schulte, Orton, P., Wen, B.. (Aug 16, 2016). "An open-access, multi-decadal, three-dimensional, hydrodynamic hindcast dataset for the Long Island Sound and New York / New Jersey Harbor Estuaries.", Rich Signell, Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, MDPI. 48 (4), 22. JMSE Link .
- Saleh, F., Ramaswamy, V., Georgas, N., Blumberg, A., and Pullen, J.. (Jun 22, 2016). "A retrospective streamflow ensemble forecast for an extreme hydrologic event: a case study of Hurricane Irene and on the Hudson River basin", EGU, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, EGU. 20 (7), 2649-2667. EGU Link .
- Marsooli, R., Orton, P.M., Georgas, N. and A.F. Blumberg. (May 2016). "Three-Dimensional Hydrodynamic Modeling of Coastal Flood Mitigation by Wetlands", Coastal Engineering, Elsevier. (111), 83-94. Elsevier Online Link .
- Blumberg, A.F., Georgas, N., Herrington, T., and L. Yin.. (Aug 2015). "Street Scale Modeling of Storm Surge Inundation along the New Jersey Hudson River Waterfront", Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, American Meteorological Society. 32 (8), 1486-1497. AMS Link .
- Orton, P.M., Talke, S.A., Jay, D.A., Larry, Y., Blumberg, A.F., Georgas, N., Zhao H., Roberts, H.J., and K. MacManus. (Jul 21, 2015). "Channel Shallowing as Mitigation of Coastal Flooding", Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, MDPI. 2015 (3), 654-673. MDPI Link .
- Roberts, K., Colle, B., Georgas, N., and S. Munch. (May 2015). "A Regression-based Approach for Cool-Season Storm Surge Predictions along the New York/New Jersey Coast", Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, American Meteorological Society. AMSLink .
- Georgas, N., Orton, P., Blumberg, A., Cohen, L., Zarrilli, D., L. Yin. (Jul 16, 2014). "The Impact of Tidal Phase on Hurricane Sandy's Flooding Around New York City and Long Island Sound", William Solecki, Journal of Extreme Events, World Scientific. 1 (1), 32. Download (1472 kb PDF) JEELink .
- Orton, P., N. Georgas, A.F. Blumberg and J. Pullen. (Sep 26, 2012). "Detailed Modeling of Recent Severe Storm Tides in Estuaries of the New York City Region", Journal of Geophysical Research - Oceans, American Geophysical Union. 117 (C09030), 17. Download (3815 kb PDF) AGUlink .
- Kuang, L., Blumberg, A.F. and N. Georgas. (Jun 26, 2012). "Assessing the fidelity of surface currents from a coastal ocean model and HF radar using drifting buoys in the Middle Atlantic Bight", Ocean Dynamics; Topical Collection on Advances in Search and Rescue at Sea, Springer. 62 (8), 1229-1243. SpringerLink .
- Georgas, Nickitas. (Mar 2012). "Large Seasonal Modulation of Tides Due to Ice Cover Friction In a Mid-Latitude Estuary", Journal of Physical Oceanography, American Meteorological Society. 3 (42), 352-369. Download (4563 kb PDF) AMS Journals .
- Tom Di Liberto, Brian A. Colle, Nickitas Georgas, Alan F. Blumberg, and Arthur A. Taylor. (Dec 2011). "Verification of a Multi-Model Storm Surge Ensemble Around New York City and Long Island for the Cool Season", Weather and Forecasting, American Meteorological Society. 26 (6), 922-939. Download (3577 kb PDF) AMS Journals .
- Edward D. Zaron, Marie-Aude Pradal, Patrick D. Miller, Alan F. Blumberg, Nickitas Georgas, and Wei Li. (Dec 2011). "Bottom Topography Mapping via Nonlinear Data Assimilation", Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, American Meteorological Society. 12 (28), 1606-1623. AMS Journals .
- Talukder, A., Panangadan, A.V., Georgas, N., Herrington, T., and A.F. Blumberg. (Dec 2010). "Integrated Operational Control of Unattended Distributed Coastal Sensor Web Systems with Mobile Autonomous Robots", Ellsworth LeDrew, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society / IEEE Committee on Earth Observations. 3 (4), 442-450. IEEE JSTARS 2010, Talukder et al. .
- Georgas, N., Rangarajan, S., Farley, K. J., and S-C. K. Jagupilla. (Jun 2009). "AVGWLF-Based Estimation of Nonpoint Source Nitrogen Loads Generated Within Long Island Sound Subwatersheds", Kenneth J. Lanfear, P.E., Journal of the American Water Resources Association, American Water Resources Association. 45 (3), 715-733. JAWRA June 2009, Georgas et al. .
- Blumberg A. F. and N. Georgas. (Apr 2008). "Quantifying Uncertainty in Estuarine and Coastal Ocean Circulation Modeling", Dennis A. Lyn, Ph.D., Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers. 134 (4), 403-415. Download (918 kb PDF).
- Georgas, N., A. F. Blumberg, T. O. Herrington. (Apr 2007). "An Operational Coastal Wave Forecasting Model for New Jersey and Long Island Waters", Reinhard E. Flick, Ph.D., Shore & Beach, American Shore and Beach Preservation Association. 75 (2), 30-35. Download (619 kb PDF).
- Georgas, N., Howell, P., Saba, V., Schulte, J., Blumberg, A.F., Orton, P., Yin, L., Jiang, Y., and Y. Wang. (May 27, 2016). "Analyzing history to project and manage the future: Simulating the effects of climate on Long Island Sound's physical environment and living marine resources.", NOAA Sea Grant Publications, Long Island Sound Study. LISS URL .
- Miller, J.K., and Georgas, N.. (Jun 30, 2015). "Hudson River Physical Forces Analysis: Data Sources and Methods", Hudson River NERRS.
- Nickitas Georgas, Jon Miller, Yifan Wang, Yu Jiang, and David D’Agostino. (Jun 30, 2015). "Tidal Hudson River Ice Cover Climatology", Hudson NERRS. 68. Download .
- Blumberg, A.F, Herrington, T., Yin, L., and N. Georgas.. (Feb 13, 2014). "Storm Surge Reduction Alternatives for Barnegat Bay", New Jersey Governor’s Office of Recovery and Rebuilding and New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.. 59. GORR Link .
- Blumberg, A.F, Herrington, T., Yin, L., and N. Georgas.. (Oct 2014). "Street Scale Modeling of Storm Surge Inundation along the New Jersey Hudson River Waterfront", Technical Report 2933, New Jersey Governor’s Office of Recovery and Rebuilding and New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.. 49. GORR Link .
- Georgas, N., B. Wen and Y. Zhao. (Dec 20, 2013). "Calculation of vertical tidal datums for the tidal Hudson River north of Yonkers, New York. ", Technical Report 2926, Stevens Institute of Technology. 25. Download .
- Georgas, N. and J. Miller. (May 20, 2013). "Hudson River Estuary Physical Forces Model", NYSDEC GIS Clearinghouse, Hudson River Sustainable Shorelines Project. NYSDEC Clearinghouse .
- Georgas, N., J. Miller and D. D’Agostino. (Mar 13, 2013). "Hudson River Ice Climatology", NYSDEC GIS Clearinghouse, Hudson River Sustainable Shorelines Project. NYSDEC Clearinghouse .
- Georgas, N. and A. Blumberg. (Apr 20, 2012). "Hydraulic Study for Bridge Creek Realignment. New York Container Terminal Berth 4 Project, Staten Island, New York.", Technical Report 2929, Stevens Institute of Technology. 138. Download (21126 kb PDF).
- D'Agostino, D. and N. Georgas. (2011). "Long Island Sound 2010 Current Survey Tidal Directions, Tidal Data Plots, Current Graphs, R Value Graphs, and Tidal Current Graphs observed and compared to NYHOPS simulations.", Unpublished comparisons of NYHOPS model simulated currents against current data collected by NOAA/NOS in Long Island Sound in 2010.. 55. Download .
- Blumberg A., and N. Georgas. (Aug 1, 2010). "Fate and Transport of Contaminants in the Arthur Kill", Technical Report 2930, Stevens Institute of Technology. 54.
- Georgas, N., Li, W. and A. Blumberg. (2009). "Investigation of Coastal CDOM Distributions Using In-Situ and Remote Sensing Observations and a Predictive CDOM Fate and Transport Model.", Office of Naval Research Ocean Battleship Sensing Fiscal Year 2009 Annual Reports CD, Office of Naval Research; Ocean Battleship Sensing S&T Department. 23. Download (1317 kb PDF) Office of Naval Research report .
- Georgas, N. and A. Blumberg. (2008). "The New York Bight Shelf - Harbor Dynamic Study: Ocean Forecast Sensitivity to Forecasts of Atmospheric Forcing", Office of Naval Research. 50. Download (3870 kb PDF).
- Swanson, R. L., D. J. Tonjes, N. Georgas, and B. W. Stephens. (2000). "New York City 1999 Regional Harbor Survey", Joel A. Miele Sr., P.E., New York City Harbor Survey Program, New York City Department of Environmental Protection. 107.
- Orton, P.M., Conticello, F, Cioffi, F., Hall, T., Georgas, N., Lall, U., and A.F. Blumberg.. (Jul 2015). "Hazard Assessment from Storm Tides and Rainfall on a Tidal River Estuary.", 36th IAHR World Congress. IAHR 2015. 10. Download IAHR URL .
- Glenn S. et al. (Jun 14, 2013). "Process-driven improvements to hurricane intensity and storm surge forecasts in the Mid-Atlantic Bight: Lessons learned from hurricanes Irene and Sandy", OCEANS - Bergen 2013, MTS/IEEE June 10-14 2013 Bergen, Norway. IEEE Xplore. 1-9. IEEE Link .
- Kuang, L., Blumberg, A. and N. Georgas. (Oct 19, 2012). "Impact of Assimilating High Frequency Radar Surface Currents on the Fidelity of A Middle Atlantic Bight Circulation Model", Oceans 2012, 14-19 Oct 2012, Hampton Roads, VA. IEEE Xplore. 9. IEEE Link .
- Boicourt, W.C., Li, M., Nidzieko, N., Kelly, E.J., Blumberg, A.F., Georgas, N., Updyke, T.G. and W.D. Wilson. (Jan 10, 2013). "Observing the urban estuary: Review and prospect", Oceans 2012, 14-19 Oct 2012, Hampton Roads, VA. IEEE Xplore. 7. IEEE link .
- Georgas N., and A. F. Blumberg. (2010). "Establishing Confidence in Marine Forecast Systems: The design and skill assessment of the New York Harbor Observation and Prediction System, version 3 (NYHOPS v3)", Eleventh International Conference in Estuarine and Coastal Modeling (ECM11) November 4-6, 2009 Seattle, Washington. Spaulding, M. L., Ph.D., P.E., American Society of Civil Engineers. 660-685. Download (1449 kb PDF).
- Bhushan, S., Blumberg, A. F., and N. Georgas. "Comparison of NYHOPS hydrodynamic model SST predictions with satellite observations in the Hudson River tidal, estuarine, and coastal plume region", Eleventh International Conference in Estuarine and Coastal Modeling (ECM11) November 4-6, 2009 Seattle, Washington. Spaulding, M. L., Ph.D., P.E., American Society of Civil Engineers. 11-26. Download (2155 kb PDF).
- Georgas, N., Blumberg, A. F., Bruno, M. S. and D. S. Runnels. (Jul 11, 2009). "Marine Forecasting for the New York Urban Waters and Harbor Approaches: The design and automation of NYHOPS.", 3rd International Conference on Experiments / Process / System Modelling / Simulation & Optimization. Demos T. Tsahalis, Ph.D., University of Patras, Greece. 1 345-352. Download (629 kb PDF).
- A. Talukder, A. Panangadan, A. Blumberg, T. Herrington, and N. Georgas. (Jun 24-26, 2008). "Improving the science return from coastal sensor webs using autonomous predictive control and resource management", Eighth Annual Earth Science Technology Conference, Maryland. University of Maryland. Download (568 kb PDF).
- A. Talukder, A. Panangadan, T. Herrington, A. Blumberg, and N. Georgas. (Mar 1-8, 2008). "Autonomous adaptive resource management in sensor network systems for environmental monitoring", IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, Montana. IEEE. Download (626 kb PDF).
- Georgas, N. and A. F. Blumberg. (2004). "The Influence of Centrifugal and Coriolis Forces on the Circulation in a Curving Estuary", Eight International Conference in Estuarine and Coastal Modeling (ECM8) November 3-5, 2003 Monterey, California. Spaulding, M. L., Ph.D., P.E., American Society of Civil Engineers. 541-558. Download (1169 kb PDF).
- Georgas, N., Howell, P., Saba, V., Schulte, J., Blumberg, A.F., Orton, P., Yin, L., Jiang, Y., and Y. Wang. (Jan 20, 2016). "Analyzing History to Project and Manage the Future: Simulating the Effects of Climate on Long Island Sound's Physical Environment And Living Marine Resources; Yr2 report", LISS Management Meeting. Bridgeport, CT. . Download (5648 kb PDF).
- Cohn, A., Kumaraswamy, A., Georgas, N., and B. Wen. (Feb 4, 2015). "Developing Updated Water Quality Advisory Data for New York City", New York Water Environment Association (NYWEA) 87th Annual Meeting • New York, NY. Link to Conference Abstracts .
- Georgas, N.. (May 6, 2015). "Developing the Tools for Science, Navigation and Emergency Response: New York Harbor Observing & Prediction System (NYHOPS)", 2015 Hudson River Symposium • New Paltz, NY. Link to Conference Presentations .
- Georgas, N.. (Apr 30, 2015). "Operational ensemble forecasting for combined inland and coastal flood predictions down to the street level", National Weather Service Webinar Series on Flood Forecasting.
- Georgas, N.. (Mar 19, 2015). "Rain and Storm Surge Integrated Hydrodynamic Modeling system for overland flood forecasting in the NJ Meadowlands region", New Jersey Geospatial Forum; Trenton, NJ. Link .
- Nickitas Georgas, Penny Howell, Vince Saba, Philip Orton, Alan Blumberg, Yu Jiang, Bin Wen. (Feb 5, 2014). "Analyzing history to project and manage the future. Year 1 Progress report supplemental.", Download .
- Georgas, N., Runnels, D., Herrington, T., and A. Blumberg. (Dec 16, 2009). "Improvements to the Stevens Storm Surge Warning System (SSWS)", National Weather Service, Winter Weather Professional Development Day, Upton, NY. Download (5396 kb PDF).
- Georgas, N. (Aug 17, 2009). "Seasonal Changes in Forecasting Skill (and Ways to Deal With Them) in Limited Area Hydrodynamic Models.", MABPOM-SECOM 2009, Rayleigh, NC.. Download (2816 kb PDF).
- A. Talukder, A. Panangadan, A.F. Blumberg, T. Herrington, and N. Georgas. (Dec 15-19, 2008). "Improving the Forecast Accuracy of an Ocean Observation and Prediction System by Adaptive Control of the Sensor Network", Eos Trans. AGU, 89(53), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract IN31A-1120. San Francisco, CA.
- Georgas, N., Blumberg, A., Li, W., Ko, J. and S. Bhushan. (Sep 22-23, 2008). "Including 2D atmospheric forcing in NYHOPS OFS. Lessons Learned.", MABPOM 2008, Woods Hole, MA. Download (2235 kb PDF).
- Georgas, N., M. Tedesco, K. Farley, S. Rangarajan. (Feb 4-6, 2008). "Estimation of Non-Point Source Nitrogen Loads to Long Island Sound Using a Simple Model for BMP Screening", New York Water Environment Association 80th Annual Meeting and Exhibition February 4-6, 2008 New York, New York.. Download (854 kb PDF).
- Georgas, N. (Oct 30, 2007). "The new High-Resolution NYHOPS OFS. Validation results and findings", MABPOM 2007, Rutgers Universtity, New Brunswick, NJ.. Download (2331 kb PDF).
- Gardner, G. B., R. F. Chen, A. F. Blumberg, N. Georgas, W. Huang, F. Peri. "Measurement and Modeling of Chromophoric Dissolved Organic Matter in an Urban Estuary", ASLO 2007 Aquatic Sciences Meeting February 4-9, 2007 Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- Orton, P., Vinogradov, S., Georgas, N., Blumberg, A., Lin, N., Gornitz, V., Little, C., Jacob, K. and Horton, R.. (2015). "Chapter 4: Dynamic Coastal Flood Modeling.", New York City Panel on Climate Change 2015 Report, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, New York Academy of Sciences. (1336), 56–66.
- Nickitas Georgas. (Mar 5, 2010). "Establishing Confidence in Marine Forecast Systems", The design of a high fidelity marine forecast model for the NY NJ Harbor Estuary and its adjoining waters, Blumberg A.F., Aikman, F. III, Herrington T.O., Hires, R.I., and P.D. Miller, PhD Dissertation, Stevens Institute of Technology. 295. Download (11195 kb PDF).
- Georgas, Nickitas. (Aug 2001). "Tidal Hydrodynamics and Bedload Transport in a Shallow, Vegetated Harbor (Stony Brook Harbor, Long Island, New York).", A modeling approach with management implications., Wilson, R.E., Swanson, R.L., Bokuniewicz, H., and D.-P. Wang, M.S. Thesis, Stony Brook University. 184. Download (7567 kb PDF).
- CE 591 Introduction to Dynamic Meteorology