PhD, Biomedical Engineering, University of Southern California
MS, Biomedical Engineering, University of Southern California
BE, Mechanical Engineering, The Cooper Union
Antonia Zaferiou’s research focuses on understanding and improving movement mechanics used during everyday mobility and athletic maneuvers. Specifically, Dr. Zaferiou is interested in (1) identifying strategies people use to achieve the mechanical objectives of turning maneuvers and (2) developing real-time sonified biofeedback (sound/music conveying biomechanics metrics) as movement training technology. This research recently earned her the NSF CAREER award:
Dr. Zaferiou has studied a wide-spectrum of movements performed by individuals spanning across clinical populations (e.g., older adult fallers, pre-and-post-operative shoulder patients, etc.) to elite athletes (e.g., professional dancers, professional pitchers, etc.).
Dr. Zaferiou earned her B.E. in Mechanical Engineering at The Cooper Union and her M.S. and Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering at the University of Southern California. After her doctoral studies, she joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Michigan as a Postdoctoral Fellow. Prior to joining Stevens Institute of Technology, she was an Assistant Professor and director of a biomechanics lab in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Rush University Medical Center. Dr. Zaferiou is also a dedicated educator and mentor in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) education activities.
- Stevens Institute of Technology, Department of Biomedical Engineering
- 2019-Present: Assistant Professor
- Rush University Medical Center, Department of Orthopedic Surgery 2016-2018:
- 2018-Present: Visiting Assistant Professor
- 2016-2018: Director of Sports Medicine Motion Analysis
- 2017-2018: Assistant Professor
- 2016-2017: Instructor
- University of Michigan, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- 2015-2016: Postdoctoral Fellow
- 2016: Course Leader, "Body Physics" Cooper Union Summer STEM Program
- Zaferiou, A.M., Ojeda, L, Cain, S. M., Vitali, R.V., Davidson, S.P., Stirling, L., Perkins, N.P.. (2017). "Quantifying Performance on an Outdoor Agility Drill using Foot-Mounted Inertial Measurement Units", PLOS ONE, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0188184 .
- Zaferiou AM, Flashner H, Wilcox RR, McNitt-Gray JL.. (2016). "Lower extremity control during turns initiated with and without hip external rotation", J Biomech, doi: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2016.12.017 .
- Zaferiou AM, Wilcox RR, McNitt-Gray JL.. (2016). "Modification of Impulse Generation During Pirouette Turns With Increased Rotational Demands", J Appl Biomech, doi: 10.1123/jab.2015-0314 .
- Zaferiou AM, Wilcox RR, McNitt-Gray JL. (2016). "Modification of impulse generation during pique turns with increased rotational demands", Hum Mov Sci, doi: 10.1016/j.humov.2016.03.012 .
- Zaferiou AM, Wilcox RR, McNitt-Gray JL.. (2016). "Whole-Body Balance Regulation during the Turn Phase of Pique and Pirouette Turns with Varied Rotational Demands", Med Probl Perform Art, doi: 10.21091/mppa.2016.2017 .
- BME 701-702 Selected Topics in Biomedical Engineering I-II