- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley (Dec. 2014)
- Micro/Nanoscale heat transfer and energy conversion
- Nonlinear heat transfer
- Novel modeling and experimental methods for thermal transport
- Nanostructured thermoelectrics
- Thermal devices
- 8/2018–present Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology
- 1/2015–7/2018 Postdoctoral Fellow, The Molecular Foundry at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Member of Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate Program Committee (2019)
- Member of Mechanical Engineering Graduate Affairs Committee (2018)
Reviewing for Journals:
- Physical Review Letters
- Physical Review B
- Physical Review Applied
- Physical Review Materials
- Journal of Heat Transfer
- International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer
- Nano Letters
- Applied Physics Letters
- Journal of Applied Physics
- Energy Conversion and Management
- Scientific Reports
- RSC Advances
- Materials Science and Engineering: B
- Modern Physics Letters B
- Journal of Molecular and Engineering Materials
- IEEE Sensors Journal
Reviewing for Conferences:
- International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE)
- The Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems (ITherm)
- ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference
- ASME - member
- MRS - member
- M. Scimeca, F. Yang, E. Zaia, L. Chen, P. Zhao, M. Gordon, J. Forster, Y. Liu, J. Guo, J. Urban, A. Sahu. (2019). "Low-Cost, Scalable Process for Improved Power Factor in Cu2Se Thin Films at Room Temperature", 14 10.
- F. Yang, M.P. Gordon and J.J. Urban. (2019). "Theoretical framework of the thermal memristor via a solid-state phase change material ", Journal of Applied Physics, 125 (2), 025109.
- Z. Wei, F. Yang, K. Bi, J. Yang, Y. Chen. (2018). "Tuning the interfacial thermal conductance via the anisotropic elastic properties of graphite", Carbon, 14 109.
- H. Kang, F. Yang, and J. Urban. (2018). "Solid-State thermal rectification and negative differential thermal resistance using junctions of phase transition materials", Physical Review Applied, 10 024034.
- Z. Wei, F. Yang, K. Bi, J. Yang, Y. Chen. (2018). "Tunable anisotropic thermal conductivity and elastic properties in intercalated graphite via lithium", Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 122 1447.
- S. Lee#, K. Hippalgaonkar#, F. Yang#, J. Hong#, C. Ko, J. Suh, J. Urban, X. Zhang, S. Hartnoll, C. Dames, O. Delaire, and J. Wu. (2017). "Anomalously low electronic thermal conductivity in metallic vanadium dioxide", Science, 355 371. News Report .
- S. Lee#, F. Yang#, J. Suh, S. Yang, Y. Lee, G. Li, H. Choe, A. Suslu, Y. Chen, C. Ko, J. Park, K. Liu, J. Li, K. Hippalgaonkar, J. Urban, S. Tongay, J. Wu. (2016). "Anisotropic in-plane thermal conductivity of black phosphorus nanoribbons", Nature Communications, 6 8573. News Report .
- Z. Wei, F. Yang, K. Bi, J. Yang, Y. Chen. (2016). "Thermal transport properties of all-sp2 three-dimensional graphene: anisotropy, size and pressure effects", Carbon, 113 212.
- A. Ruminski#, F. Yang#, E. Cho, E. Anderson, T. Johnson, J. Silber, C. Haber, and J. Urban. (2016). "Geometric analysis of enhanced thermal conductivity in epoxy composites", physica status solidi a, 113 212.
- F. Yang and C. Dames. (2015). "Heating frequency dependent thermal conductivity", Physical Review B, 91 165311.
- E. Cho, N. Coates, J. Forster, A. Ruminski, B. Russ, A. Sahu, F. Yang, J. Urban. (2015). "Engineering Synergy: Energy and Mass Transport in Hybrid Nanomaterials", Advanced Materials, 27 5744.
- J. Suh, K.Yu, D. Fu, X. Liu, F. Yang, J. Fan, D. Smith, Y. Zhang, J. Furdyna, C. Dames, W. Walukiewicz, and J. Wu.. (2015). "Simultaneous enhancement of electrical conductivity and thermopower in Bi2Te3 by native defects", Advanced Materials, 27 3681.
- F. Yang and C. Dames. (2013). "Mean free path spectra as a tool to understand thermal conductivity in bulk and nanostructures", Physical Review B, 87 035437.
- F. Yang, T. Ikeda, G. J. Snyder, and C. Dames. (2010). "Effective thermal conductivity of polycrystalline materials with randomly oriented superlattice grains, ", Journal of Applied Physics, 108 034310.
- ME 354 Heat Transfer
- ME 470 Mechanical Engineering Systems Laboratory