Ph.D. in Computer Science, Rutgers University, 2018
M.S. in Computer Science, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2014
B.S. in Mathematics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2011
My research interests lie in both the theoretical aspects and applications of machine learning. I am particularly interested in high-dimensional statistics, large-scale optimization, and their interplay. The problems that I have been working on include: low-rank matrix recovery, variable selection, online and stochastic optimization, active learning, and statistical social science.
Graduate Research Assistant, Rutgers University, 2014 - 2018
Visiting Scholar, National University of Singapore, 2013 - 2014
Graduate Research Assistant, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2011 - 2013
ICML 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016
NeurIPS 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015
IEEE Transactions on Information Theory
Information and Inference: A Journal of the IMA
IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence
IEEE Transactions on Image Processing
Assistant Professor, Stevens Institute of Technology, 2018 - present
Member of Institute of Mathematical Statistics (IMS)
- Jie Shen, Ping Li. "Partial Hard Thresholding: Towards A Principled Analysis of Support Recovery", Proceedings of the 31st Annual Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS), Long Beach, CA, USA, pages 3127-3137, 2017.
- Jie Shen, Ping Li. "On the Iteration Complexity of Support Recovery via Hard Thresholding Pursuit", Proceedings of the 34th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), Sydney, Australia, pages 3115-3124, 2017.
- Jie Shen, Ping Li, Huan Xu. "Online Low-Rank Subspace Clustering by Basis Dictionary Pursuit", Proceedings of the 33rd International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), New York City, NY, USA, pages 622-631, 2016.
- Jie Shen, Huan Xu, Ping Li. "Online Optimization for Max-Norm Regularization", Proceedings of the 28th Annual Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS), Montreal, Canada, pages 1718-1726, 2014.
- Jie Shen and Ping Li. "A Tight Bound of Hard Thresholding", Journal of Machine Learning Research 18(208): 1-42, 2018.
- CS 541 Artificial Intelligence