The University of Texas at Austin Civil Engineering Ph.D., 1990
The University of Texas at Austin Civil Engineering M.S., 1985
American University of Beirut Civil Engineering B.E. (with Distinction), 1983
Nonlinear dynamics, fluid mechanics, structural dynamics and fluid-structure interactions with applications in ship hydrodynamics, wind loads on structures, aeroelasticity, and energy harvesting.
Professor Muhammad R. Hajj is the Chair of the Department of Civil, Environmental and Ocean Engineering and the Director of the world-renowned Davison Laboratory at Stevens Institute of Technology. Before joining Stevens Institute of Technology, Dr. Hajj was the J. Byron Maupin Professor of Engineering and Director of the NSF funded I/UCRC on Energy Harvesting Materials and Systems at Virginia Tech. At Virginia Tech, he also served as the Associate Dean of Graduate School between 2014 and 2018. Dr. Hajj obtained his MS and PhD Degrees in Civil Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin and his BE degree in Civil Engineering from the American University of Beirut.
Stevens Institute of Technology
2018 – Present George Meade Bond Chair
2018 – Present Chair, Department of Civil, Environmental and Ocean Engineering
2018 – Present Director, Davidson Laboratory
2016 – 2018 J. Byron Maupin Professor of Engineering, College of Engineering
2014 – 2018 Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics
2014 – 2018 Associate Dean of the Graduate School
1998 – 2003 Associate Professor, Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics
Fellow, Engineering Mechanics Institute, American Society of Civil Engineers
College of Engineering’s Dean’s award for Excellence in Research, 2016
Distinguished Leader in Research, Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics, 2016
Department of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics award for Excellence in Research, 2015
College of Engineering’s Dean’s award for Excellence in Service, 2009
- Evaluation of Combinations of Energy Harvesting and Desalination Technologies, Muhammad Hajj and Lei Zuo, $200,000, U.S. – Egypt Science and Technology Joint Fund (advanced to the finalist stage based on panel reviews), 11/1/2017 – 10/31/2019. Research.
- Acoustic energy transfer for wireless charging of low-power sensors, control devices, and communication networks, Shima Shahab and Muhammad Hajj, $376,086, National Science Foundation, 08/15/2017 – 08/14/2020. Research
- Phase II IUCRC Virginia Tech: Center for Energy Harvesting Materials and Systems (CEHMS), Muhammad Hajj, Lei Zuo, Dong Ha, Shima Shahab and Shashank Priya, $499,980 (additional funding by industry through memberships), National Science Foundation, 08/01/2017-7/31/2022. Research.
- Unsteady Hydrodynamics and Geometric Control of Pisciform Locomotion, Craig Woolsey and Muhammad Hajj, $286,002, National Science Foundation, 06/03/2016-08/31/2019. Research
- Advanced Materials Manufacturing, Sensing and Wireless Controls for Intelligent Automobile Environment, Saied Taheri, Muhammad R. Hajj, Jung-Min Park and Shashank Priya, $1,153,614, National Science Foundation, 09/30/2015 – 12/31/2017. Research.
- Analysis and Optimal Design of Aquatic and Atmospheric Vehicles That Use Biologically Inspired Propulsion and Control Methods, Craig Woolsey and Muhammad R. Hajj, $350,000, National Science Foundation, 09/01/2014 – 08/31/2017. Research.
- CEHMS Site Supplement to add Leibnitz University; Muhammad R. Hajj, $25,000, National Science Foundation 07/01/2012 – 07/01/2015. Research.
- Design and Stiffness-Damping Optimization of Hybrid Composite Laminated Structures; Marwan Al-Haik and Muhammad R. Hajj, $180,000, National Science Foundation, 08/15/2012 -7/31/2014. Research.
- Low-Frequency Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Piezoelectric Energy Harvester; Shashank Priya and Muhammad R. Hajj, $148,205, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., 09/01/2012 – 08/31/2013.Research.
- I/UCRC CGI: Center for Energy Harvesting Materials and Systems (CEHMS) Muhammad Hajj and three Co-PIs, National Science Foundation, 08/01/2010-12/31/2017, $1,055,980.Research.
- M Bakhtiari-Nejad, A Elnahhas, MR Hajj, S Shahab. (2018). "Acoustic holograms in contactless ultrasonic power transfer systems: Modeling and experiment", Journal of Applied Physics. 124 (24), 244901.
- MY Al-Haik, AA Alothman, MR Hajj. (2018). "Integrated Thermoelectric Energy Generator and Organic Storage Device", Energy Harvesting and Systems. 5 (3-4), 73-79.
- VC Meesala, MR Hajj. (2018). "Response variations of a cantilever beam-tip mass system with nonlinear and linearized boundary conditions -", Journal of Vibration and Control. 1077546318809853.
- VC Meesala, MR Hajj. (2018). "Identification of nonlinear piezoelectric coefficients", Journal of Applied Physics. 124 (6), 065112.
- JS Alrowaijeh, MR Hajj. (2018). "Autonomous self-powered water meter", Applied Physics Letters. 113 (3), 033902 244901.
- JS Alrowaijeh, MR Hajj. (2018). "Piezoelectric energy harvesting from flexible delta wings", Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Letters . 8 (4), 267-271.
- AA Hussein, HE Taha, S Ragab, MR Hajj. (2018). "A variational approach for the dynamics of unsteady point vortices", Aerospace Science and Technology. 78, 559-568.
- JS Alrowaijeh, MR Hajj. (2018). "Wirelessly controlled harvester/sensor of air speed", Multiscale and Multidisciplinary Modeling, Experiments and Design. 1 (2), 97-101.
- FD Marques, DA Pereira, MY Zakaria, MR Hajj. (2018). "Power extraction from stall-induced oscillations of an airfoil", Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. 29 (7), 1407-1417.
- M Liu, R Lin, S Zhou, Y Yu, A Ishida, M McGrath, B Kennedy, M Hajj, .... (2018). "Design, simulation and experiment of a novel high efficiency energy harvesting paver", Applied Energy. 212, 966-975.
- D Liu, M Al-Haik, M Zakaria, MR Hajj. (2018). "Piezoelectric energy harvesting using L-shaped structures", Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. 29 (6), 1206-1215.
- AA Hussein, MR Hajj, C Woolsey. (2018). "Stable, planar self propulsion using a hinged flap", IFAC-PapersOnLine. 51 (29), 395-399.
- MY Zakaria, MM Ibrahim, S Ragab, MR Hajj. (2018). "A computational study of vortex shedding from a NACA-0012 airfoil at high angles of attack", International Journal of Aerodynamics. 6 (1), 1-17.
- Z Yan, SA Ragab, MR Hajj. (2018). "Passive control of transonic flutter with a nonlinear energy sink", Nonlinear Dynamics. 91 (1), 577-590.