- Ph.D. (Chemical Engineering) - 2012, Princeton University
- M.A. (Chemical Engineering) - 2009, Princeton University
- B.S. (Chemical Engineering - 2007, MIT
Solution-processable materials for renewable energy applications, nanostructured materials, semiconducting polymers and small-molecules, metal-halide perovskites, crystal engineering
- Postdoctoral Fellow, New York University, September 2012 – July 2014
- Course Instructor, New York University, September 2012 – May 2014
- Stevens Early Career Award for Research Excellence (2019)
- NSF CAREER Award (2019)
- Postdoctoral and Transition Program for Academic Diversity Fellowship (2012-2014)
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship (2009-2012)
- American Physical Society Frank J. Padden Award finalist (2011)
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Materials Research Society
- American Physical Society
"CAREER: Engineering Arrays of Organic Light Harvesting Crystals from Solution." National Science Foundation, Division of Civil, Mechanical and Manufacturing Innovation (Award #1846178; Feb 2019)
"Solar-Cell-on-Fiber Platform for In Situ Monitoring of Molecular Motion." Stevens Institute of Technology Bridging Grant (Dec 2018)
"Supplemental: Polymer Nanocomposites with Enhanced Optoelectronic Properties via Shear Induced Crystallization." National Science Foundation, Division of Civil, Mechanical and Manufacturing Innovation (Award #1635284; Aug 2018)
"Sheared Polymer Nanocomposites for Battery Applications." Ignition Grant Initiative, Stevens Institute of Technology (Aug 2017).
"Higher Efficiency Organic Solar Cells via Continuous Processing under Optimum Shearing Conditions." National Science Foundation, Division of Civil, Mechanical and Manufacturing Innovation (Award #1635284; Sep 2016)
- X. Kong, K. Shayan, S. Hua, S. Strauf, S.S. Lee. (2019). "Complete Suppression of Detrimental Polymorph Transitions in All-Inorganic Perovskites via Nanoconfinement", ACS Applied Energy Materials, 2, 2948. Article .
- J. He, X. Kong, Y. Wang, M. Delaney, D.M. Kalyon, S.S.Lee. (2019). "Crystallization-Arrested Viscoelastic Phase Separation in Semiconducting Polymer Gels", ACS Applied Polymer Materials, 1, 500. Article .
- Z. Jia, J.-H. Kim, G.-R. Yi, S.S. Lee. (2018). Langmuir, Transition of DEP-Assembled 2D Crystals to Interlocking Structures under a Magnetic Field. 34, 12412-12418. Article .
- X. Kong, K. Shayan, S. Lee, C. Ribeiro, S. Strauf, S.S. Lee. (2018). "Remarkable Long-Term Stability of Nanoconfined Metal-Halide Perovskite Crystals against Degradation and Polymorph Transitions", Nanoscale, 10, 8320. Article .
- K. Shayan, C. Rabut, X. Kong, X. Li, Y. Luo, K. Mistry, J. Blackburn, S.S. Lee, S. Strauf. (2018). "Broadband light collection efficiency enhancement of carbon nanotube excitons coupled to metallodielectric antenna arrays", ACS Photonics, 5, 289. Article .
- X. Bai, K. Zong, J. Ly, J.S. Mehta, M. Hand, K. Molnar, S. Lee, B. Kahr, J.M. Mativetsky, A. Briseno, S.S. Lee. (2017). "Orientation control of solution-processed organic semiconductor crystals to improve out-of-plane charge mobility", Chemistry of Materials, 29, 7571. Article .
- S. Lee, J. Feldman, S.S. Lee. (2016). "Nanoconfined crystallization of MAPbI3 to probe crystal evolution and stability", Crystal Growth & Design, 16, 4744.
- K.A. Collins, X. Zhong, P.C. Song, N.R. Little, M.D. Ward, S.S. Lee. (2015). "Electric Field-Induced Reversible Phase Transitions in Two-Dimensional Colloidal Crystals", Langmuir, 31, 10411. Article .
- A.G. Shtukenberg, S.S. Lee, B. Kahr, M.D. Ward. (2014). "Manipulating crystallization with molecular additives", Annual Review of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, 5, 77. Article .
- S.S. Lee, J.M. Mativetsky, M.A. Loth, J.E. Anthony, Y.-L. Loo. (2012). "Charge transport across interspherulite boundaries in solution-processed organic semiconductor thin films", ACS Nano, 6, 9879. Article .
- S.S. Lee, S. Muralidharan, A.R. Woll, M.A. Loth, Z. Li, J.E. Anthony, M. Haataja, Y.-L. Loo. (2012). "Controlling nucleation in binary, solution-processed organic semiconductor thin films", Chemistry of Materials, 24, 2920. Article .
- S.S. Lee, S.B. Tang, D.-M. Smilgies, A.R. Woll, M.A. Loth, J.M. Mativetsky, J.E. Anthony, Y.-L. Loo. (2012). "Guiding crystallization around bends and sharp corners", Advanced Materials, 24, 2692. Article .
- S.S. Lee, M.A. Loth, J.E. Anthony, Y.-L. Loo. (2012). "Orientation-independent charge transport in single spherulites from solution-processed organic semiconductors", Journal of the American Chemical Society, 134, 5436. Article .
- S. Avasthi, S.S. Lee, Y.-L. Loo, J.C Sturm. (2011). "Role of majority and minority carrier barriers silicon/organic hybrid heterojunction solar cells", Advanced Materials, 23, 5762. Article .
- S.S. Lee, Y.-L. Loo. (2010). "Structural complexities in the active layers of organic electronics", Annual Review of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, 59, 1. Article .
- J.B. Kim, S.S. Lee, M. Toney, Z. Chen, A. Facchetti, Y.S. Kim, Y.-L. Loo. (2010). "Reversible soft-contact lamination and delamination for non-invasive fabrication and characterization of bulk-heterojunction and bilayer organic solar cells", Chemistry of Materials, 22, 4931. Article .
- S.S. Lee, C.S. Kim, E.D. Gomez, B. Purushothaman, M.F. Toney, C. Wang, A. Hexemer, J.E. Anthony, Y.-L. Loo. (2009). "Controlling nucleation and crystallization in solution-processed organic semiconductors for thin-film transistors", Advanced Materials, 21, 3605. Article .
- C.S. Kim, S.S. Lee, E.D. Gomez, J. Kim, Y.-L. Loo. (2009). "Transient photovoltaic behavior of air-stable, inverted organic solar cells with solution-processed electron transport layer", Applied Physics Letters, 94, 113302. Article .
- CHE 234 Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics
- MT 665 Soft Matter Physics