Dr. Ye Yang
Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA 2001-2006
M.E., Software Engineering, Institute of Software Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China 1998-2001
B.S., first major: Computer Science, second major: Economics, Peking University, Beijing, China 1994-1998
- Crowdsourced Software Engineering
- Software/System Cost Estimation
- Software Defect Prediction
- Machine Learning/Data Mining
Dr. Ye Yang joined the Stevens Institute of Technology in 2014. She received her Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Southern California in 2006. Her research lies in the area of empirical software engineering including software process technologies, software crowdsourcing, cost estimation, defect prediction, and technical debts. At Stevens, her recent work focuses on modeling, learning, and recommending best practices to reduce the cost and improve quality of software products around the crowdsourced software engineering paradigm. These include software crowdsourcing task price design, crowd worker performance measurement, task-worker matching, and automated crowdtesting management. She has served as PC Co-Chairs for the 2018 International Workshop on Crowdsourcing in Software Engineering (CSI-SE 2018), the 2018 International Workshop on Software Engineering Research and Industry Practice (SER&IP 2018), and PC member for top software engineering conferences including ICSE, ASE, and ESEM. She has published over 100 research papers, and won 5 Best Paper Awards, including two ACM Distinguished Paper Awards at both ICSE 2019 and ICSE 2020.
2018 5th International Workshop on Software Engineering Research and Industrial Practice (SER&IP)
2018 5th International Workshop on Crowd Sourcing in Software Engineering (CSI-SE)
2017 The 4th International Workshop on Evidential Assessment of Software Technologies (EAST 2017)
2015 International Workshop on Actionable Analytics in Software Engineering
2020 International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE)
2020 International Conference on Automated Software Engineering - ToolDemo Track (ASE-ToolDemo)
2015-19 Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference (APSEC)
2018 International Conference on Automated Software Engineering Tool Demo Track (ASE Tool)
2018 1st IEEE International Conference on Hot Information-Centric Networking (HotICN)
2017 4th International Workshop on Software Engineering Research and Industrial Practice (SER&IP)
2017 4th International Workshop on Crowd Sourcing in Software Engineering (CSI-SE)
2014-18 International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM)
2012-2017 Conference on Predictive Models for Software Engineering (PROMISE)
2016-2018 International Conference on Automated Software Engineering Tool Demo Track (ASE’16 Tool)
2015-2019 International Conference on System Engineering Research (CSER)
2014-19 International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM)
ACM Distinguished Paper Award at ICSE 2020
ACM Distinguished Paper Award at ICSE 2019
Stevens Doctoral Incentive Award, 2019
Associate Professor, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ 2014
Associate Professor/Professor, Institute of Software Chinese Academy of Sciences (ISCAS), Beijing, China 2007-2013
Software Engineer, IBM Rational Software Group, San Jose, CA 2006-2007
IEEE, ACM, ASEE
SERC Incubator Grant: Models for Efficient Testing (MET), 2019, $21K: PI
SERC RT-193: Framework for Analyzing Versioning and Technical Debt, 2017, $150K: PI
NSF-DUE: Software Engineering Master’s Program for Liberal Arts Graduates, 04/15/15 - 03/31/20, $632KEnter information here
- Wang, Junjie; Yang, Ye; Menzies, Tim; Wang, Qing. "iSENSE2.0 Improving Completion-aware Crowdtesting Management", ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM), ACM .
- Wen Zhang, Jian Li, Ye Yang, Taketoshi Yoshida. "A Two-stage Rating Prediction Approach Based on Matrix Clustering on Implicit Information", Acceptance date: Oct. 31, 2019., IEEE Transactions on Computational Social Systems.
- Wen Zhang, Yuhang Du, Ye Yang, Taketoshi Yoshida. (2018). "DeRec: A Data-Driven Approach to Accurate Recommendation with Deep Learning and Weighted Loss Function", Journal of Electronic Commerce Research and Application, 12-23. 12-23.
- Wen Zhang, Yuhang Du, Taketoshi Yoshida, Ye Yang. (2019). "Associate Professor", Inf. Sci., DeepRec: A deep neural network approach to recommendation with item embedding and weighted loss function . 470 121-140.
- Y. Yang, T. Menzies, D. Falessi, J. Hihn. (2018). "Actionable Analytics for Software Engineering", IEEE Software, IEEE . 35 (1), 51-53.
- Tim Menzies, Ye Yang, George Mathew, Barry Boehm, and Jairus Hihn. (2017). "Negative results for software effort estimation", Empirical Software Engineering , Springer. 22 (5), 2658-2683.
- Wen Zhang, Ye Yang, Qing Wang. (2015). "Using Bayesian regression and EM algorithm with missing handling for software effort prediction", Information & Software Technology , Elsevier. 58 58-70.
- Y. Sun, Q. Wang, Y. Yang. (2017). "FRLink: Improving the Recovery of Missing Issue-Commit Links by Revisiting File Relevance", Journal of IST, Elsevier. 84 33-47 .
- (ACM Distinguished Paper Award) Junjie Wang, Ye Yang, Song Wang, Yuanzhe Hu, Dandan Wang, Qing Wang. Context-aware In-process Crowdworker Recommendation. Accepted, to appear in Proceedings of ICSE 2020. Acceptance rate: 20.9% (129/617).
- Abdullah Khanfor, Hakim Ghazzai, Ye Yang, Yehia Massoud. Automated Service Discovery for Social Internet-of-Things Systems, Accepted by ISCAS 2020.
- Lili Wang, Ye Yang and Yong Wang. Do Higher Incentives Lead to Better Performance? An Exploratory Study on Software Crowdsourcing. In Proceedings of ESEM 2019. 1-11. Acceptance rate: 19.8% (109/529).
- (ACM Distinguished Paper Award) J. Wang, Y. Yang, R. Krishn, T. Menzies, Q. Wang. iSENSE: Completion-Aware Crowdtesting Management, in Proc. of the International Conf. on Software Engineering (ICSE 2019), 912-923. Acceptance rate: 20.7% (23/116).
- Muhammad Rezaul Karim, Ye Yang, Dave Messinger, Guenther Ruhe. Learn or Earn - Intelligent Task Recommendation for Competitive Crowdsourced Software Development, HICSS 2018.
- Abdullah Khanfor, Ye Yang, Gregg Vesonder, Guenther Ruhe, Dave Messinger. Failure Prediction in Crowdsourced Software Development. APSEC 2017: 495-504 Acceptance rate: 24% (52/217).
- Turki Alelyani, Ye Yang and Paul Grogan. Understanding designers behavior in parameter design activities. ASME 2017 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference. American Society of Mecha.
- Razieh Lotfalian Saremi, Ye Yang, Guenther Ruhe, David Messinger: Leveraging Crowdsourcing for Team Elasticity: An Empirical Evaluation at TopCoder. ICSE-SEIP 2017: 103-112. Acceptance rate: 29% (31/106).
- Y. Yang, M. R. Karim, R. Saremi and G. Ruhe. Who Should Take This Task? - Dynamic Decision Support for Crowd Workers, Proceedings of ESEM 2016. Article No. 8. Acceptance rate: 22% (27/122).
- Linda Laird, Ye Yang: Engaging software estimation education using LEGOs: a case study. ICSE (Companion Volume) 2016: 511-517.
- Ye Yang, Razieh Lotfalian Saremi: Award vs. Worker Behaviors in Competitive Crowdsourcing Tasks. ESEM 2015: 68-77. Acceptance rate: 25% (20/81).
- SSW 533 Cost Estimation and Metrics
- SSW 315 Object-Oriented Software Engineering
- SSW 345 Modeling and Simulation