Dr. Elizabeth Fassman-Beck
2002, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, PhD Civil Engineering
1998, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, MSc Civil Engineering
1996, Duke University, Durham, NC, BSE Civil and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Fassman-Beck’s Living Laboratory for Stormwater Green Infrastructure (GI) is a research and demonstration site on the Stevens Institute of Technology campus. With 47 individual GI systems, custom-built from the ground up to measure real-world results, the Living Laboratory is dedicated to engineering GI solutions for urban stormwater challenges. The Living Laboratory’s current inventory includes 4 bioretention planters, 38 pilot-scale green roof systems (plus 2 “conventional” pilot-scale roofs), and 3 rain gardens, along with ~100 sensors. Generating quantitative hydrologic and water quality performance data to advance GI design, modeling, and policy is at the heart of the Living Laboratory. Multi-disciplinary efforts engage Software Engineers for Big Data manipulation and Stevens’ Center for Innovation in Engineering Science and Education to engage the next generation of sustainable development professionals via K-12 STEM education initiatives.
Stevens and the Living Laboratory is a Regional Center of Living Architecture Excellence, in partnership with the Green Infrastructure Foundation and Green Roofs for Healthy Cities.
View Dr. Fassman-Beck's TEDx (Sept. 2018): Looking up the Downspout: Green Infrastructure for Roof Runoff
Find out about the Living Laboratory for Stormwater Green Infrastructure here:
2002-2004, Consultant: Wright Water Engineers, Denver, Colorado
- Institute Facilities Committee (BoT Committee, 2017-present)
- Academic Appeals Committee (2016-2017)
- SES Task Committee on Academic Milestones (2016)
- US Environmental Protection Agency Board of Scientific Counselors, Sustainable Water Resources Committee (2017-present)
- Associate Editor: Journal of Environmental Engineering (ASCE)
- Associate Editor: Journal of Sustainable Water in the Built Environment (ASCE)
- Editorial Board Member: Urban Water Journal (Taylor and Francis)
- Elected Member of the Urban Water Resources Research Council Control Group (EWRI/ASCE); Chair, UWRRC Green Roofs Task Committee, Member Permeable Pavement Task Committee
- Elected Member of the Joint Committee on Urban Drainage (JCUD), a limited-membership coordinating committee between the International Water Association and International Association of Hydraulics Research
- 2018 ASCE-New Jersey Educator of the Year
- 2018 Eckenfelder Keynote NJ Water Environment Association Annual Conference (Atlantic City, NJ)
- 2016 Distinguished Lecture Series, University of Toronto
- 2015 USEPA Campus RainWorks Challenge, 2nd Place, Master Plan Category, Faculty Advisor; 2017 Top 8 Placement
- 2014 Wesley W. Horner Award from ASCE/EWRI for the publication Fassman and Simcock (2012).
- Keynote delivered at the Midatlantic Green Roof Symposium (College Park, MD, 2014).
- Keynote delivered at the Engineers Australia Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium (Sydney, 2012).
- Outstanding Reviewer 2012, ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering.
2007-2013, University of Auckland (New Zealand), Senior Lecturer
2004-2007, University of Auckland (New Zealand), Lecturer
2003, University of Colorado at Denver, Honorary Instructor
- Member: International Water Association (IWA)
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and Environmental and Water Resources Institute (EWRI)
- 2018-2020 Green Infrastructure Technologies Inspire STEM Interest. Funded by National Science Foundation $400,000
- 2017 Technical review of NYC DEP’s InfoWorks model, comparing different approaches to hydrologic modelling of NYC right-of-way bioswales. Client: Riverkeeper, Inc.
- Liu, R., Fassman-Beck, E.. (2018). "Pore structure and unsaturated hydraulic conductivity of engineered media for living roofs and bioretention based on water retention data", Journal of Hydrologic Engineering , 23 (3).
- Liu, R. and Fassman-Beck, E.. (2017). "Experiments and Modeling of Two Laboratory Bioretention Systems under Different Boundary Conditions", Frontiers of Environmental Science and Engineering , 11 (4), 1-10.
- Liu, R., Fassman-Beck, E. (2016). "Hydrologic response of engineered media in living roofs and bioretention to large rainfalls: experiments and modeling", Hydrological Processes, 31 (3), 556-572.
- Liu, R., Fassman-Beck, E. (2016). "Effect of composition on basic properties of engineered media for living roofs and bioretention", 10.1061/(ASCE)HE.1943-5584.0001373, 06016002, Journal of Hydrologic Engineering.
- Roehr, D., Fassman-Beck, E. (2016). "Regenwasserrueckhaltung – warum Dachbegruenung weiterhin ein Thema der Zukunft ist", Neue Landschaft , 11 41-48.
- Fassman-Beck, E., Hunt, W., Berghage, R., Carpenter, D., Kurtz, T., Stovin, V., Wadzuk, B. (2016). "Curve Number and Runoff Coefficients for Extensive Living Roofs", 10.1061/(ASCE)HE.1943-5584.0001318, 04015073, Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, ASCE.
- Fassman-Beck, E., Wang, S., Simcock, R., Liu, R. (2015). "Assessing the Effects Assessing the Effects of Bioretention’s Engineered Media Composition and Compaction on Hydraulic Conductivity and Water Holding Capacity", 04015003-1, DOI: 10.1061/JSWBAY.0000799, Journal of Sustainable Water in the Built Environment, ASCE.
- Borne, K., Fassman-Beck, E., Winston, R., Hunt, W., Tanner, C. (2015). "Implementation and Maintenance of Floating Treatment Wetlands for Urban Stormwater Management", 04015030, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0000959, Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE.
- Azizi, N.S.M., Wilkinson, S., Fassman, E.. (2015). "An analysis of occupants response to thermal discomfort in green and conventional buildings in New Zealand", Energy and Buildings, 104 (198), 191.
- Azizi, N.S.M., Wilkinson, S., Fassman, E.. (2015). "Strategies for improving energy saving behaviour in commercial buildings in Malaysia", Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 22 (1), 73-90.
- Borne, K., Fassman-Beck, E., Tanner, C.. (2014). "Floating Treatment Wetland Influences Fate of Metals in Road Stormwater Retention Ponds", Water Research, 1 (48), 430-442.
- Young, R., Zanders, J., Lieberknecht, K., Fassman-Beck, E.. (2014). "A comprehensive typology for mainstreaming urban green infrastructure", Journal of Hydrology doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2014.05.048, Elsevier. (2014), 2571-2583.
- Mokhtar Azizi, N.S., Wilkinson, S., Fassman, E.. (2014). "Management Practice to Achieve Energy Efficiency Performance of Green Buildings in New Zealand’", Architectural Engineering and Design Management, 10 (25-39), 1-2.
- Borne, K., Fassman, E., Tanner, C.. (2013). "Stormwater Nitrogen Removal Performance of a Floating Treatment Wetland", Water Science and Technology , 7 (68), 1657-1664.
- Borne, K., Fassman, E.A., Tanner, C.C. (2013). "Floating Treatment Wetland Retrofit to Improve Stormwater Pond Performance for Sediment, Copper and Zinc", Ecological Engineering, Elsevier. 2013 (54), 173-182.
- Fassman-Beck, E.A., Simcock, R., Voyde, E.A., Hong, Y.S.. (2013). "4 Living Roofs in 3 Locations: Does Configuration Affect Runoff Mitigation?", Journal of Hydrology , Elsevier. 2013 (490), 11-20.
- Olorunkiya, J., Wilkinson, S., Fassman, E., Stuart, D.. (2013). "Eliciting Stakeholders’ Preferences for Low Impact Design Incentive: A Conjoint Analysis Approach", Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction.
- Fassman, E.A.. (2012). "Stormwater BMP Treatment Performance Variability for Sediment and Heavy Metals", Separation and Purification Technology , 2012 (84), 95-103.
- Fassman, E.A., Simcock, R.. (2012). "Moisture Measurements as Performance Criteria for Extensive Living Roof Substrates", Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE. 8 (138), 841-851.
- Mokhtar-Azizi, N.S., Wilkinson, S., Fassman, E., Che Ani, A.I.. (2012). "Management Practice to Achieve Energy Efficiency Performance: Green versus Conventional Office Building in Malaysia", Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)LA.1943-4170.0000115.
- Olorunkiya, J. Fassman, E., Wilkinson, S.. (2012). "Risk: A Fundamental Barrier to the Implementation of Low Impact Design Infrastructure for Urban Stormwater Control.", Journal of Sustainable Development (Canada), 9 (5), 27-41.
- Fassman, E.A., Blackbourn, S.. (2011). "Runoff Water Quality Mitigation by Permeable Pavement", Journal of Irrigation and Drainage, ASCE. 11 (137), 720-729.
- Fassman, E.A., Blackbourn, S.. (2010). "Urban Runoff Mitigation by a Permeable Pavement System over Impermeable Soils", Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, ASCE. 6 (15), 475-485.
- Voyde, E.A., Fassman, E.A., Simcock, R., Wells, J.. (2010). "Quantifying Evapotranspiration Rates for New Zealand Green Roofs", Journal of Hydrologic Engineering , ASCE. 6 (15), 395-403.
- Voyde, E.A., Fassman, E.A., Simcock, R.. (2010). "Hydrology of an Extensive Living Roof under Sub-Tropical Climate Conditions in Auckland, New Zealand", Journal of Hydrology, Elsevier. 2010 (394), 384-395.
- Roehr, D. and Fassman-Beck, E.. (Mar 2015). Living Roofs in Integrated Urban Water Systems, Routledge. 2015.
- CE 304 Water Resources Engineering
- CE 525 Engineering Hydrology
- CE 535 Stormwater Management