Dr. Richard Graham
Ph.D. Music Technology - School of Creative Arts, University of Ulster 2012
M.Mus. Music Performance – School of Creative Arts, University of Ulster 2007
B.Sc. Music Technology – Sonic Arts Research Centre, Queen's University 2006
Guitar Performance, Embodied Cognition, Interactive Performance Systems, Electroacoustic Composition, Spatial Audio, Auditory Perception and Scene Analysis.
Richard Graham is a guitarist and computer musician based in the United States. He has performed across the U.S., Asia, U.K., and Europe, including festivals and conferences such as Celtronic and the International Symposium on Electronic Art. He has composed music for British and US television, recorded live sessions for BBC radio, and his music has been authored for the popular video game, Rock Band.
Graham’s academic research is centered around computer-assisted music composition and instrumental performance. He developed the first iteration of his live performance system for multichannel guitar as an artist-in-residence at STEIM in 2010. He received his Ph.D. in Music Technology from Ulster University in 2012 and he is now an Assistant Professor of Music and Technology at Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, New Jersey. His most recent papers on performance systems design and electroacoustic theory were presented at NIME, EMS, and ISSTA in 2015 and pieces from his most recent album, “Nascent,” featured at SEAMUS, NYCEMF, and ICMC in 2015. Graham’s most recents works featured at SEAMUS 2016.
1314 - Electric guitar, amplifiers, & electronics - SEAMUS 2016, Georgia Southern University - February 2016.
1314 - Electric guitar, amplifiers, & electronics - Spectrum, NYC - October 2015.
Quiet Arcs - Guitar and 24-channel loudspeaker diffusion - ICMC 2015, UNT (Denton, Texas) - September 2015.
Quiet Arcs - 16-channel tape – New York City Electroacoustic Music Festival, NYC - June 2015.
Quiet Arcs - Guitar and 8-channel tape - SEAMUS 2015, Virginia Tech - March 2015.
Axon - Root Signals Electronic Music Festival at Jacksonville University, FL - September 2014.
Matic /Denizen - Experimental Music Series (w. Jay Dickson) - ShapeShifter Lab, Brooklyn, NYC - May 2014.
Quiet Arcs - Spatial Music Concert - Crescent Arts Centre in Belfast, N. Ireland - May 2012.
Nascent - Elements Tour (w. N, Premonition Factory) - Belgium & Germany - September 2011.
Axon - Pure Data Convention - SeaM Werkstattstudio, Weimar, Germany - August 2011.
Axon - Electronic Arts Research Society - SARC, Belfast, N. Ireland - May 2011.
Axon - Contemporary Music Center - University of Ulster, Londonderry - April 2011.
Live Improvised Set - Ambient Antwerp (w. Dirk Serries, N, Steve Lawson) - Arenberg, Antwerp - March 2010.
Live Improvised Set - Celtronic Festival (w. Ulrich Schnauss) at Saint Columb’s Hall, Londonderry - June 2009.
Live Improvised Set - ISEA 2009 - University of Ulster, Londonderry - August 2009.
Multiple Live Sets - Tour of Japan - Tokyo, Japan - May 2009.
Live Set - Celtronic Festival (w. Boxcutter & Mary Anne Hobbs) at Sandinos, Londonderry - June 2008.
Multiple Live Sets - Tour of Japan - Tokyo, Japan - July 2007.
Quiet Arcs - 16 channel tape for the New York City Electroacoustic Music Festival - June 2015.
Quiet Arcs - 8 channel composition for multichannel electric guitar and tape - May 2012.
Nascent - 8 channel composition for multichannel electric guitar and tape (w. M. Andrews) - July 2011.
Axon - 8 channel composition for multichannel electric guitar and tape (w. M. Andrews) - September 2010.
Tape for Golden Circle (w. J. McLachlan) commissioned by Miso Music. Performed by Sond'Ar-te Electric
Ensemble in Portugal, September - December 2011.
Axon Reprise - Remix of Axon Reprise by Evan Marien - February 2014.
Querschalltapes - Limited Edition Tape Loop Release - Inselkind-Schalltraeger (DE) - March 2013.
Origins and Evolutions - Featured Guitarist - Install (NYC, U.S.) - September 2012.
Nascent - 12-track studio album - Sentric Music Publishing (Liverpool, U.K.) - May 2012.
Refraction - Full metal band track for Rock Band Network - RBN - March, 2011.
Mecca - 6-track studio album - Sentric Music Publishing (Liverpool, U.K.) - February 2010.
Rain Down Fire - EP - CD Lunch (Tokyo, Japan) - July 2009.
Beautiful Beginning - Single - Sentric Music Publishing (Liverpool, U.K.) - August 2008.
Where are the People? - (w. Shiro) - Sentric Music Publishing (Liverpool, U.K.) - July 2008.
SOUND ART INSTALLATIONS
Virtual/Transposed Landscapes - Virtual Reality Exhibition (w. Cluett, Manzione) - apexart, NYC - March 2016.
Senses Under Fire - Fire Sculpture Exhibition (w. Josie Deane) - City life, Jersey City - March 2016.
On the Relativity of Distance (w. Ingo Appel) at the National Academy Museum and School of Fine Arts, NYC, USA
- October, 2nd to November 7th 2013.
Thorn Reader (w. Ingo Appel) - Faculty Exhibition - National Academy Museum and School of Fine Arts, NYC,
USA - December 2012 through January 2013.
NOTABLE INDUSTRY FEATURES
Featured artist on Darwin Grosse’s (Cycling ’74) Art + Music + Technology Podcast - January 2016
Selah IV - Synchronized composition on MTV’s Catfish (USA) TV Show - November 2014 to Present
Nascent - Synchronized composition on Channel 4’s Hollyoaks (UK) TV Show - November 2014 to Present
Live music session (w. Shiro) for BBC Introducing (Stephens) - BBC Radio 1 (national) - March 2008
Live music session (w. Shiro) for BBC Introducing (McConnell) - BBC Radio 1 (regional) - March 2008
Decadence - Featured production on the Breezeblock (Hobbs) - BBC Radio 1 (national) - February 2007
Live music session (solo) for Electric Mainline (McCauley) - BBC Radio Foyle (regional) - December 2006
grambilib~ - An ambisonics library for Pd, written in C. - March 2016.
lerdahl - A tonal abstraction external for Pd, written in C. Based on tonal theory by Lerdahl - January 2016.
rg.ambi~ - A set of ambisonic abstractions for Pd and Max/MSP - November 2015.
pd2live - A live performance system for multichannel guitar (in support of Ph.D. dissertation) - May 2012.
Septar V2 - Audio breakout circuit for multichannel guitars (w. John Harding, Ulster University) - May 2015.
Septar V1 - Audio breakout circuit for multichannel guitars (w. John Harding, Ulster University) - August 2011.
Graduate Curriculum Committee (GCC)
Graduate Student Academic Integrity Board (GSAIB)
Irish Science, Sound, and Technology Association - Conference Paper Chair - 2016.
Computer Music Journal (MIT Press) - Reviewer for Issue on High-Density Loudspeaker Arrays - 2016.
Freelance Musician and Educator, Greater NYC Metropolitan Area, USA.
Music Producer, Certified Ableton Trainer, Keith McMillen Instruments Product Representative, and Guitar and Media Art Instructor, September 2012 – Present.
• Produced original music that has been synchronized to television shows in the US and UK (MTV, Channel 4, and Channel 5). I perform regularly throughout the NYC metropolitan area.
• My productions and performances have featured on national British radio, incl., live sessions for BBC Radio 1.
• Provide music production lessons to private students, incl., tutorials using Ableton Live, Reaper, Pro Tools, Cubase, and the visual programming platforms, Pure Data, Max/MSP, and Max for Live.
• Demonstrated music production (controller) hardware produced by Ableton and Keith McMillen Instruments to private students, incl. Push, QuNeo, QuNexus, Softstep, and 12 Step.
• Qualified professional guitar instructor covering beginner to advanced performance styles and multi-genre repertoire.
EMS Elektronmusikstudion - Artist in Residence (accepted) - Stockholm, July 2016.
Product Specialist for Keith McMillen Instruments, NYC metro 2013 to 2015.
Certified Ableton Trainer, Belfast, Northern Ireland 2011; NYC metro 2012 to 2015.
STEIM - Artist in Residence - Amsterdam 2010.
STEIM - Orientation - Amsterdam 2009.
Grade 8 Electric Guitar (Professional Level) - Trinity College of Music, London 2002.
Honors for Music and Drama - Bangor Grammar School 2002.
International Computer Music Association (ICMA) - Member 2015 to 2016.
Society for Electro-Acoustic Music in the United States (SEAMUS) – Member 2014 to 2016.
American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers - Member 2013 to Present.
Society for Musicology in Ireland (SMI) & College Music Society (CMS) – Student Member 2012.
Society for Musicology in Ireland (SMI) International Conference Committee Member - May 2010.
Arts Council of Northern Ireland (ACNI) - Travel Award - Tour of Belgium and Germany 2011.
Arts Council of Northern Ireland (ACNI) - Individual Artist Award 2009.
Arts Council of Northern Ireland (ACNI) - Travel Award - Tour of Japan 2009.
Department for Employment and Learning (DEL) Scholarship Award - Ph.D. 2008.
European Social Fund Scholarship (ESF) Award - M.Mus. 2006.
- Richard Graham. "High-Density Loudspeaker Arrays as a Performance Environment (N Loudspeakers != Cool)", Special Issue on Computer Music for High-Density Loudspeaker Arrays (Forthcoming)., Computer Music Journal (MIT Press).
- Richard Graham, Brian Bridges. "Strategies for Spatial Music Performance: Practicalities and Aesthetics for Responsive Mappings", in Divergence Press. Issue 3. December 2014. ISSN: 2052-3467 (Online).
- Richard Graham, Brian Bridges. "Managing Musical Complexity with Embodied Metaphors", in Proceedings of the International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression. Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, USA. May 2015. ISBN: 978-0-692-49547-6. ISSN: 2220-4806.
- Richard Graham, John Harding. "SEPTAR: Audio Breakout Circuit for Multichannel Guitar", in Proceedings of the International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression. Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, USA. May 2015. ISBN: 978-0-692-49547-6. ISSN: 2220-4806.
- Richard Graham, Brian Bridges. "Gesture and Embodied Metaphor in Spatial Music Performance Systems Design", in Proceedings of the International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression. Goldsmiths, University of London, United Kingdom, July 2014. ISSN: 2220-4792 (Print), 2220-4806 (Online), 2220-4814 (USB). ISBN: 978-1-906897-29-1 (Online).
- Richard Graham, Brian Bridges. "Mapping and Meaning: Embodied Metaphors and Non Localised Structures in Performance System Design", in Re-New Digital Arts Festival 2013 Catalogue (ISSN. 2245-7801). Copenhagen, Denmark, October 2013.
- Richard Graham. "A Live Performance System in Pure Data: Pitch Contour as Figurative Gesture ", in Proceedings of the Pure Data Convention. Bauhaus Universitat, Weimar, Germany, August 2011.
- Richard Graham. "Society for Electro-Acoustic Music in the United States 2016 - Sonifying Tidmarsh Living Observatory at Georgia Southern University, February, 2016.".
- Richard Graham, Brian Bridges. "Irish Science, Sound and Technology Association 2015 Conference - Embodied Resonances and Thoughts of Electroacoustic Music: What can we learn from theorizing disembodied sound using embodied schemas? at the University of Limerick and Mary Immaculate College, R. Ireland, August 2015.".
- Richard Graham, Chris Manzione, Themis Veleni. "Sounds, Images, and Data Conference 2015 - Exploring Creative Divergences through Data-Driven Practices at New York University, NYC, July 2015.".
- Richard Graham, Brian Bridges. "Electroacoustic Music Studies Conference 2015 - Electroacoustic Music as Embodied Cognitive Praxis: Denis Smalley's theory of spectromorphology as an implicit theory of embodied cognition at the University of Sheffield, June 2015.".
- Richard Graham. "Society for Electro-Acoustic Music in the United States 2015 - Emotion and Electroacoustic Music - Creative Strategies for the Performance of Spatial Music at Virginia Tech, March, 2015.".
- Richard Graham, Laura Graham. "Peace and Justice Studies Association 2013 Conference - Creative Bridge Building in Northern Ireland using Music Technology at the University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, October 2013.".
- Richard Graham, Brian Bridges. "Irish Science, Sound and Technology Association 2013 Conference - Loose Coupling and Gestural Structures in Spatial Music Performance Systems at the Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art and Design in Dun Laoghaire, R. Ireland, August 2013.".
- Richard Graham, Laura Graham. "Music & Diplomacy Conference - Creative Bridge Building in Northern Ireland: open-source technologies as a tool for social capital development at Tufts-Harvard, Massachusetts, March 2013.".
- Richard Graham. "eNTERFACE 2012 - Extraction and Application of Figurative Instrumental Gesture at Supelec, Metz, France, July 2012.".
- Richard Graham. "Artist Talk at American University, Washington DC - January 2016".
- Richard Graham. "Computers and Music at Salem State University, Massachusetts - April 2015".
- Richard Graham. "Managing Musical Complexity with Embodied Metaphors at MIT, Massachusetts - February 2015".
- Richard Graham. "Electronic & Experimental Music in the Americas & Europe at MIT, Massachusetts - February 2015".
- Richard Graham. "Spatial Audio and Ambisonics at American University, Washington DC - April 2014".
- HMU 211 MIDI and Electronic Music
- HMU 450 Music Business
- HMU 101 Music History I
- HMU 210 Introduction to Music Technology
- HMU 405 Electronic Music
- HMU 205 Introduction to Digital Media
- HMU 260 Software Instrument Design
- HMU 420 Spatial Music Applications