Doctor of Philosophy in Biomedical Engineering
Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ
Masters of Science in Biomedical Engineering
New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ
Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering
Rutgers College of Engineering, New Brunswick, NJ
See Dr. Hazelwood's Translational Research in Medicine
Most recently, she has held executive positions in sales and business development for several medical device companies focused on drug delivery technology and surgical techniques for orthopedics and interventional cardiology. Hazelwood has worked closely with surgeons and area hospitals in a clinical setting, and has collaborated on numerous projects with medical device companies. She received her doctorate in Biomedical Engineering from Stevens Institute of Technology. Her research emphasis is in Sports Medicine and Tranlational Research, focusing on the development of efficacious medical devices and physiologic methods which improve public health, espcially obesity prevention and pain management. Her successes include the clinical use of several developments for minimally invasive evaluation, earlier stage detection of disease, and assistive technologies for the handicapped. She joins the Chemical, Biomedical, and Materials Engineering Department as Associate Program Director and Industry Professor.
Vice President Business Development: Polymerix Inc.,
Vice President Sales and Marketing: Memry Corp.
Strategic Business Manager: Hydromer, Inc.
Surgical Sales Rep: Medtronic
National Sales Engineering Manager: Ekato Corp.
Project Manager: Werner & Pfleiderer Corp.
Regional Manager: Koch Engineering, Inc.
Sales Engineer: Mixing Equipment Co.
Fellow, National Academy of Inventors
Distinguished Alumna in Science and Technology 2018
Henry Morton Distinguished Teaching Professor 2016-2017
Stevens Alumni Association Outstanding Teacher Award 2015
Stevens Student Association Distinguished Senior Advisor 2014-2015
NJ Inventors Hall of Fame, Advancement of Invention Award 2010
Henry Morton Distinguished Teaching Professor 2008-2009
Dean's Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Excellence 2007
Alpha Epsilon Lambda Professional Honor Society
Voluntary Professor, Seton Hall School of Medicine, Newark, NJ. 2016—Present.
Clinical Instructor, Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Georges University Medical School, Grenada. 2011—2016.
Clinical Researcher, Emergency Department, Department of Defense Anti-Terrorist Grant. Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack, NJ. 2010—2014.
FELLOW, National Academy of Inventors
U.S. Patent Nos. 8764663, 8252001, 8110004. 8010187.
- Panel Speaker. (Apr 20, 2011). "The Entrepreneurial Professor", New Jersey Institute of Technology/University of Medicine and Dentistry, Newark, NJ. NSF Women in Science Forum.
- Plenary Session Speaker. (Jun 17, 2008). "Current and Future BME Needs", Third Biomedical Engineering, Education Summit Meeting, St. Charles, IL.
- Panel Speaker. (Jun 7, 2010). "Capstone Design Documentation", ASEE Capstone 2010 Design Conference, Boulder CO.
- Pediatric Grand Rounds. (Nov 7, 2007). "Ergogenic Aids in Sports", Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital, Westchester Medical Center/NY Medical College, Valhalla, NY.
- Pediatric Grand Rounds. (Oct 25, 2006). "Translational Research in Sports Medicine", Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital, Westchester Medical Center/NY Medical College, Valhalla, NY.
- (Jun 17, 2008). "Current and Future BME Needs", St. Charles, Illinois. Third Biomedical Engineering Education Summit Meeting.
- (Nov 7, 2007). "Ergogenic Aids in Sports ", Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital Westchester Medical Center/NY Medical College Valhalla, NY . Pediatric Grand Rounds, Invited.
- (Oct 25, 2006). "Translational Research in Sports Medicine", Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital Westchester Medical Center/NY Medical College Valhalla, NY . Pediatric Grand Rounds, Invited.
- Pearlstone, DB, Garofalo R, Trepani M, Gray M, Niryenda T, Hazelwood, V.. (2011). "Clinical and pathological predictors of outcome among women with triple negative breast cancer", 34th Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, December 6- 10, San Antonio, Texas.
- Bini J., Spain J., Nehal K., Hazelwood V., Dimarzio C., Rajadhyaksha M. (Jul 15, 2011). "Confocal mosaicing microscopy of human skin ex vivo: spectral analysis for digital staining to simulate histology-like appearance", Journal of Biological Physics Research.
- Bini J., Spain J., Nehal K., Hazelwood V., Dimarzio C., Rajadhyaksha M. (2011). "Confocal mosaicing microscopy of human skin ex vivo: spectral analysis for digital staining to simulate histology-like appearance", , Journal of Biomedical Optics, 16 (076008).
- Junka, R., Chan, L., Moises, R., Panico, E., Hazelwood, V., Atlas, G. "Use of loss of resistance, to carbon dioxide, in identifying the epidural space.", Journal of Anaesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology.
- Ogedegbe, C., Hazelwood, V., Morchel, H., Chang, B., Vets, S., Gray, M., Feldman, J. (2011). "Novel Portable Telesonography System for Prehospital Trauma Care", Advanced Technology Applications for Combat Casualty Care (ATACCC), Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Aug 14-18.
- Hazelwood, V., Galvez, W., Ng, G., Mendez, A., Shendi, D., Hadidi, M., Skadberg, J. (2011). "Heated Humidified Air for Pre-hospital Hypothermic Resuscitation", Advanced Technology Applications for Combat Casualty Care (ATACCC), Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Aug 14-18.
- Bini, J., Hazelwood, V., Spain, J., Nehal, K., DiMarzio, C., Rajadhyaksha, M.. (2011). "Confocal mosaicing microscopy of Basal-cell carcinomas ex vivo: progress in digital staining to simulate histology like appearance", Advanced Biomedical and Clinical Diagnostic Systems IX, CA, Jan. 23-25.
- Backeris, P., Abt, C., Shevach, G., Jakimaviciute, V., McNair, B, Stutman, R, Hazelwood, V. (Jul 2010). "Mobile Vital Signs Recording for Triage Support", IEEE 12th International Conference on E-Health Networking Applications and Services, Lyon, France.
- Hazelwood, V; Valdevit, A; Ritter, A. (Jun 2010). "A Model for a Biomedical Engineering Senior Design Capstone Course, with Assessment Tools to Satisfy ABET “Soft Skills", Capstone Design Conference, Boulder, CO.
- Rubin, T; Lee, SK; Valdevit, A; Hazelwood, V; Ritter, A, Posner, M. (Mar 2010). "Performance Evaluation of Wrist Guards Under Dynamic Testing", 56th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, New Orleans, LA.
- , V., You, E., Huynh, C., Gayle, P., Cameron, K., Atlas, G. (Oct 2009). "Evaluation of Pressure, Volume, and Temperature in Tracheal Tube Cuffs", Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh PA.
- Hazelwood, V. (Jul 2009). "The Value in Linking Entrepreneurship and Undergraduate Engineering Education", The 2nd International Multi-Conference on Engineering and Technological Innovation: IMETI 2009, Orlando FL.
- Hazelwood, V., Majdanska, J., Ritter, A.B.. (Jun 2007). "Undergraduate Students Obtain Motivating Experiential Education by Participating in a Human Clinical Trial While Performing Biomedical Engineering Research", American Society of Engineering Education, Annual Symposia.
- Hazelwood, V., Wisniewski, H., Ritter, A.B.. (Sep 2007). "Entrepreneurship in Biomedical Senior Design, from Classroom to Corporation", International Conference on Engineering Education, Annual Symposia.
- Hazelwood, V., Majdanska, J., Ritter, A.B.. (2007). "Do College Students Benefit from School Required Activity? A Clinical Trial", Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 39 (5S).
- Majdanska, J., Hazelwood, V.. (Mar 2007). "Agreement between Clinical Methods for the Assessment of Body Fat", Biomedical Engineering Society.
- Ritter, A., Hazelwood, V., Ascione, A., Valdevit, A. (2011). Biomedical Engineering Principles, 2nd edition, CRC Press. Boca Raton, FL.
- Hazelwood, Vikki. (2008). Do College Students Benefit from School Required Activity, VDM Publishing. Saarbrücken, Germany.
- BME 505 Biomaterials
- BME 423 Senior Design I
- BME 424 Senior Design II
- BME 498 Research in Biomedical Engineering I
- BME 600 Strategies and Principles of Biomedical Design
- BME 701-702 Selected Topics in Biomedical Engineering I-II
- BME 800 Special Problems in Biomedical Engineering (ME)
- BME 960 Research in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 499 Research in Biomedical Engineering II
- BME 640 Intro to Clinical Research
- BME 801 Special Problems in Biomedical Engineering (PHD)