Dr. Philip Orton
Columbia University, Ph.D., physical oceanography, dissertation
University of South Carolina, M.S., marine science
University of Michigan, B.S., physical oceanography
Fluid dynamics, the study of fluids in motion, lies at the heart of most questions that humans ask of the ocean. Increasing numbers of people are moving to its coastlines, yet the added stress we put on the ocean can overwhelm its benefits. Evaluating problems such as storm surges, climate change, and pollutant discharges requires a detailed knowledge of ocean, estuary, and atmosphere transport processes.
I enjoy living and working in a metro region with 20 million people mostly living on islands like Manhattan, and more affected by the ocean than many ever realized. I’m a research assistant professor at Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, and my specific research interests include estuary and coastal ocean physics, storm surges and sea level rise, urban coastal flood mitigation, turbulent mixing, air-sea interaction and gas exchange, sediment transport, urban and coastal atmospheric science, and numerical ocean and atmospheric modeling.
2010 - present Lead or co-author on 18 funded research proposals worth $3.6 million from 11 diverse federal, state and city agencies (NSF, USACE, NOAA, NASA, NPS, ONR, Sea Grant, NYSERDA, NYC, NJ-DEP, HRF)
2014 - 2015 Buckminster Fuller design challenge award, 2015 ACEC New York PLATINUM AWARD, AIA Architecture collaboration award – all for flood adaptation design
2014 Housing and Urban Development Rebuild By Design – winning design team
- Orton, P. M., Hall, T. M., Talke, S., Blumberg, A. F., Georgas, N., & Vinogradov, S.. (2016). "A Validated Tropical-Extratropical Flood Hazard Assessment for New York Harbor", Journal of Geophysical Research, 121 doi: 10.1002/ 2016JC011679. Download .
- Marsooli, R., P. M. Orton, N. Georgas, and A. F. Blumberg. (2016). "Three-Dimensional Hydrodynamic Modeling of Coastal Flood Mitigation by Wetlands", Coastal Engineering, (111), 83-94.
- Brandon, C.M., J.D. Woodruff, P.M. Orton and J.P. Donnelly. (2016). "Evidence for Elevated Coastal Vulnerability Following Large-Scale Historical Oyster Bed Harvesting", Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, DOI:10.1002/esp.3931.
- Orton, P., S. Vinogradov, N. Georgas, A. Blumberg, N. Lin, V. Gornitz, C. Little, K. Jacob, and R. Horton. (2015). "New York City Panel on Climate Change 2015 Report Chapter 4: Dynamic Coastal Flood Modeling", Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1 (1336), 56-66.
- Orton, P. M., S. A. Talke, D. A. Jay, L. Yin, A. F. Blumberg, N. Georgas, H. Zhao, H. J. Roberts, and K. MacManus. (2015). "Channel Shallowing as Mitigation of Coastal Flooding", Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 3 (3), 654-673. web open access .
- OE 512 Intermediate Fluid Dynamics