Dr. German Creamer, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Computer Science (computational finance), 2007, Columbia University
- M.Sc., Financial Engineering, 2002, Columbia University
- Ph.D., Economics, 1993, University of Notre Dame
- M.A., Economics, 1989, University of Notre Dame
- Licentiate, Sociology, 1986, Pontifical Catholic University of Ecuador
- Licentiate, Psychology, 1985,Pontifical Catholic University of Ecuador
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), 2002, CFA Institute
Computational Finance, Risk Management, Automated Trading, Analytics and Machine Learning in Finance.
Professor Germán Creamer’s research addresses applications of machine learning and social network (business analytics) algorithms to solve business problems, with an emphasis on finance. Among the areas in which he has been active: algorithmic trading, asset pricing based on news and corporate social networks (behavioral finance), energy trade networks, development of balanced scorecard for boards of directors, discovery of organizational hierarchy based on social networks and electronic communications, identity recognition and risk management, forecasting, risk management, and health economics.
In the area of algorithmic trading, Professor Creamer has introduced boosting as a proper method to combine and select financial indicators, and generate trading rules. In the area of asset pricing, he has included social network indicators to forecast price trends. In the area of organizational structures, he has pioneered in the adoption of alternating decision trees to uncover relationships and factors that affect the organizational structure. In the area of identity recognition, he has designed algorithms to identify customers, work that received a patent. The main difference of this approach in contrast to the approach of a typical economist is that his work is data driven, which helps develop systems that can be used by practitioners.
His work has been published in academic and professional journals and presented in conferences. The organizational discovery research was funded by the NSF. Part of his work on news, social networks and prices has been partially funded by a joint project between Stevens and the Department of Defense.
Professor Creamer has been a senior manager in the Risk, Information and Banking Division in American Express where he worked in the enterprise-wide risk management and the information management groups. He has also taught at Columbia University, Tulane University, and in several leading Latin American business schools. Dr. Creamer has been the manager of planning and economic studies at Banco del Pacifico (Ecuador), program officer for the United Nations Development Programme, and economic advisor to the president of Ecuador. He has also consulted for the government of Equatorial Guinnea, several hedge funds and international organizations such as United Nations, World Bank, and US Agency for International Development.
- Chairman of the Program Academic Committee for Finance, 2016 - 2018
- Chairman and Co-Chairman of several faculty search committees.
- Academic coordinator, Master of Finance, 2016-2018.
- Promotion and Tenure Committee, 2016 - .
- Stevens Institute - Board of Directors, Investment Committee, 2013-2015, 2016-2018, Finance 2018-19.
- M.S. Business Intelligence and Analytics committee, 2011 - present
- Curriculum review committee of the finance, financial engineering and analytics programs.
- Preparation of proposal for the CFA University Affiliation Program. Promotion of the CFA program, selection of students for the CFA Institute scholarship and support of CFA initiatives, 2009-2018.
- PhD Program committee, 2010 – 2017
- Stevens Institute Strategic Planning Committee, 2011-12
Program Committee member of:
- 4th International Conference on Behavioral, Economic, and Socio-Cultural Computing, Krakow, Poland, 2017.
- International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems, 2017, 2018.
- Duke Forest Conference: Economics in the era of natural computationalism and big data, Duke University, Durham, NC, 2016.
- Computing in Economics and Finance Conference, Society for Computational Economics, Taipei, Taiwan, 2015.
- European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases, Porto, Portugal, 2015.
Reviewer for the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and the Research Competitiveness Program of the King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.
Reviewer, Hawaiian International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS, 2009, 2010, 2013), IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC, 2012), International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS, 2012, 2014), and International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC, 2013).
Reviewer for Quantitative Finance, Computational Economics, Eastern Economics Journal, ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology, Journal of Futures Market, Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Decision Support Systems, IEEE Systems, Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, International Journal of Security and Networks, Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination, New Mathematics and Natural Computation, Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machine, and the European Journal of Finance.
Book reviewer for Risk Books, World Scientific Academic Press, Elsevier, Springer Science, Business Media, and Wiley.
Chair and organizer of session on Computational Finance and Microstructure Models, Modeling High Frequency Data in Finance III, Hoboken, 2011
Chair and organizer of session on Agent-Based Computational Economics: Computational Finance, Eastern Economics meetings, 2011-15, 18.
Knight's Capital Prize for Best Use of Data in the annual Algorithmic Trading competition run by the University College London, 2011.
Bright Idea Award, Stillman School of Business at Seton Hall University and the New Jersey Policy Research Organization, 2010
American Express Leadership Award on Innovation, 2007.
Biography published since 1998 at: “Who’s Who in the World”, “Who’s Who in Finance and Industry”, “Who’s Who in America?”, “Who’s Who in American Education “ (2004-; Marquis).
American Finance Association, Financial Management Association, CFA Institute, Eastern Economic Association.
- Prepared proposal that led to the development of the Hanlon Financial System Lab: a $500,000+, multi-functional, institute level trading lab dedicated to the research and teaching of financial markets.
- Co-PI, Improving the Quality of Service and Reducing Costs for Medicaid Patients in Safety Net Hospitals, Nicholson Foundation, 2017-18 ($154,160)
- A hybrid algorithm to forecast energy futures, Stevens Institute, 2014 ($20,000).
- Effects of news sentiment on volatility and return, Howe School Alliance of Technology Management, 2012 ($5,000).
- News, corporate network and the Put Call ratio, Howe School Alliance of Technology Management, 2011 ($5,000).
- Knight's Capital Prize for Best Use of Data in the annual Algorithmic Trading competition run by the University College London, 2011.
- Bright Idea Award, Stillman School of Business at Seton Hall University and the New Jersey Policy Research Organization, 2010.
- American Express Leadership Award on Innovation, 2007.
- Board of Regents, State of Louisiana, grant for establishing a “Risk Management System of Latin American Capital Markets”, 1999-2002.
- MacArthur Foundation / Institute of Peace Studies.Scholarship, University of Notre Dame, 1989.
- Institute for the Study of World Politics Scholarship, 1989.
- Kellogg Institute, University of Notre Dame, 1989.
- Fulbright Scholar, 1986.
Methods, systems, and computer program products for generating data quality indicators for relationships in a database, Publication number: US 2009/0094237 A1, Issued patent: US8060502 (Issue date Nov 15, 2011).
- Germán Creamer. (2018). "Non-linear forecasting of energy futures", Intelligent Methods and Big Data in Industrial Applications, Series Studies in Big Data, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag. forthcoming.
- Germán Creamer. (2013). "Portfolio optimization and corporate networks: extending the Black Litterman model", Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, Kristin Glass, Richard Colbaugh, Paul Ormerod, Jeffrey Tsao, Complex Sciences - Second International Conference, Complex 2012, Santa Fe, NM, USA, December 5-7, 2012.
- Germán Creamer. (2011). "Using Boosting for Financial Analysis and Trading", Handbook of Modeling High Frequency Data in Finance, Frederi G. Viens, Maria C. Mariani and Ionut Florescu, Wiley.
- Germán Creamer. "Financial Pattern and Trend Prediction", Encyclopedia of Big Data, Laurie A. Schintler and Connie L. McNeely, Springer. Forthcoming 2019.
- Germán Creamer and Bernardo Creamer. (2016). "A Non-linear Lead Lag Dependence Analysis of Energy Futures: Oil, Coal and Natural Gas", Handbook of High-Frequency Trading and Modeling in Finance, Ionut Florescu, Maria C. Mariani, H. Eugene Stanley, Frederi G. Viens, Wiley.
- Germán Creamer. (2009). "Andean Community", The Princeton Encyclopedia of the World Economy, Kenneth A. Reinert & Ramkishen S. Rajan , Princeton University Press. Link to book (Google preview) .
- Germán Creamer, Ryan Rowe, Shlomo Hershkop and Sal Stolfo. (2008). "Segmentation and Automated Social Hierarchy Detection through Email Network Analysis", Advances in Web Mining and Web Usage Analysis - 9th WEBKDD and 1st SNA-KDD Workshop at KDD 2007, Zhang et al. , Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag. Link to paper .
- Germán Creamer and Maria Herrera. (1993). "Ecuador: de la exportacion al petroleo", Las Economias Andinas, Clark Reynolds, Reinhardt Wettmann and Cesar Ferrari, ILDIS. Lima.
- Germán Creamer. (Nov 2016). "Trading Network and Systemic Risk in the Energy Market", 3rd International Conference on Behavioral, Economic, and Socio-Cultural Computing (IEEE sponsored), Duke University, Durham, NC.
- Ricardo Collado and Germán Creamer. (Aug 2016). "Time series forecasting with a learning algorithm: An approximate dynamic programming approach", 22nd International Conference on Computational Statistics (COMPSTAT) 2016, Oviedo, Spain.
- Germán Creamer and Bernardo Creamer. (Nov 2014). "A Non-linear Dependence Analysis of Oil, Coal and Natural Gas Futures with Brownian Distance Correlation", AAAI Fall Symposium. Technical Report FS-14-02, Washington DC.
- Germán Creamer, Yong Ren, Yasuaki Sakamoto, and Jeffrey V. Nickerson. (Sep 2013). "News and Sentiment Analysis of the European Market with a Hybrid Expert Weighting Algorithm", ASE/IEEE International Conference on Social Computing, Washington D.C.
- Germán Creamer, Yong Ren and Jeffrey V. Nickerson. (Sep 2013). "Impact of Dynamic Corporate News Networks on Asset return and Volatility", ASE/IEEE International Conference on Social Computing, Washington D.C.
- Bernardo Creamer and Germán Creamer. (Sep 2013). "Efficiency and Trade Network Analysis of the Electricity Market: 1985-2005", ASE/IEEE International Conference on Social Computing, Washington D.C.
- Bernardo Creamer and Germán Creamer. (Sep 2013). "Emissions Abating Technology Adoption under the SO2 Permit Market: A Social Networks Approach", ASE/IEEE International Conference on Economic Computing, Washington D.C.
- Boyi Xi, Rebecca Passoneau, Leon Wu and Germán Creamer. (Aug 2013). "Semantic Frames to Predict Stock Price Movement", 51st Conference on Association for Computational Linguistics, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Ryan Rowe, German Creamer, Shlomo Hershkop and Sal Stolfo. (Aug 2007). "Automated Social Hierarchy Detection through Email Network Analysis", Proceedings of the Web Mining and Social Network Analysis Workshop on International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD), San Jose, CA. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag. Download (1078 kb PDF) Link to paper .
- German Creamer and Yoav Freund. (Aug 2006). "A Boosting Approach for Automated Trading", Data Mining for Business Applications Workshop on International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD), Philadelphia. Download (171 kb PDF).
- German Creamer and Sal Stolfo. (Aug 2006). "A Link Mining Algorithm for Earnings Forecast Using Boosting", Link Analysis: Dynamics and Statics of Large Networks Workshop on International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD), Philadelphia. Download (204 kb PDF).
- Sal Stolfo, German Creamer and Shlomo Hershkop. (2006). "A Temporal Based Forensic Analysis of Electronic Communication", National Conference on Digital Government Research, San Diego, California. Link to paper .
- German Creamer and Yoav Freund. (Nov 2004). "Predicting Performance and Quantifying Corporate Governance Risk for Latin American ADRs and Banks", Financial Engineering and Applications conference, MIT-Cambridge. Link to paper .
- German Creamer. (1999). "Open Regionalism, Trade Liberalization and the Role of Small Producers in the Case of Ecuador and the Andean Community", Business Association of Latin American Studies (BALAS) Conference, New Orleans. Link to a revised version of the paper .
- Germán Creamer and Bernardo Creamer. (2018). "Emissions Abating Technology Adoption in a Coal Trading Network", Social Network Analysis and Mining, (forthcoming).
- Patrick Houlihan and Germán Creamer. (2017). "Can Sentiment Analysis and Options Volume Anticipate Future Returns?", Computational Economics, 50 (4), 669-685.
- Germán Creamer. (2017). "Network Structure and Market Risk in the European Equity Market", IEEE Systems Journal, (99), 1-9.
- Patrick Houlihan and Germán Creamer. (2017). "Risk Premium of Social Media Sentiment", Journal of Investing, 26 (3), 21-28 .
- Germán Creamer, Yong Ren, Yasuaki Sakamoto, and Jeffrey V. Nickerson. (2016). "A Textual Analysis Algorithm for the Equity Market: The European Case", Journal of Investing, 25 (3), 105-116.
- German Creamer. (2015). "Can a Corporate Network and News Sentiment Improve Portfolio Optimization Using the Black Litterman Model?", Quantitative Finance, 15 (8), 1405-1416.
- German Creamer. (Mar 22, 2012). Model Calibration and Automated Trading Agent for Euro Futures, Quantitative Finance. 12 (4), 531-545. Link to paper .
- German Creamer. (2011). Linking Entity Resolution and Risk, Eastern Economic Journal. 37 (1), 150-164. Download This is a post-peer-review, pre-copyedit version of an article published in the Eastern Economic Journal. The definitive publisher-authenticated version is available online here .
- German Creamer and Yoav Freund. (Nov 1, 2010). "Learning a Board Balanced Scorecard to Improve Corporate Performance", Decision Support Systems, 49 (4), 365-385. Link to paper .
- German Creamer and Yoav Freund. (2010). "Using Boosting for Financial Analysis and Performance Prediction: application to S&P 500 companies, Latin American ADRs and banks", Computational Economics , 36 (2), 133-151. Link to paper .
- German Creamer and Yoav Freund. (Apr 2010). "Automated Trading with Boosting and Expert Weighting", Quantitative Finance, 10 (4), 401–420. Link to paper .
- German Creamer and Sal Stolfo. (2009). "A Link Mining Algorithm for Earnings Forecast and Trading", Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, 18 (3), 419-445. Link to paper .
- German Creamer and Yoav Freund. (2007). "A Boosting Approach for Automated Trading", Journal of Trading, 2 (3), Link to paper .
- German Creamer. (2004). "Regionalismo Abierto en la Comunidad Andina: creacion o desviacion de comercio", El Trimestre Economico, 281.
- German Creamer. (2003). "Open Regionalism in the Andean Region: A trade flow analysis", World Trade Review, 2 (1), Download (113 kb PDF) Copyright holder: Cambridge University Press .
- German Creamer et al. (1999). "Cost of Hospital Cholera Treatment in Ecuador", Pan American Journal of Public Health, 5 (2), 77-87. Link to paper .
- German Creamer. (1994). "La apertura de la economia ecuatoriana al Grupo Andino: el rol de los bienes de consumo basico", Politicas Agricolas, (0).
- German Creamer. (1994). "Integracion del Ecuador en el Mercado Andino: evaluacion del impacto macroeconomico y sectorial", Cuestiones Economicas, (21).
- German Creamer, Clark W. Reynolds and K.S. Kim. (1997). Ecuador en la Economia Mundial: El regionalismo abierto y la participacion del Ecuador en el Grupo Andino, el Tratado Norteamericano de Libre Comercio y la Cuenca del Pacifico, Corporacion Editora Nacional. Quito.
- German Creamer. (1992). Redistribution, Inflation and Adjustment Policies: A Macro Neo-Structuralist Model for Ecuador, ILDIS.
- Allan Castelnuovo and German Creamer. (1987). La Desarticulacion del Mundo Andino, Abya-Yala Press. Quito.
- QF 301 Advanced Time Series Analytics and Maching Learning
- QF 302 Financial Market Microstructure and Trading
- BIA 656 Statistical Learning & Analytics