- B.Sc. (Metallurgy), Leeds University, England 1971
- Diploma in Industrial Administration, Aston University, England, 1972
- Ph.D. (Metallurgy), Birmingham University, England, 1980
Professor Sheppard's research interests have focused on electrochemical aspects of materials, primarily electrodeposition and corrosion. More recently he has focused on innovation in engineering education and associated research.
Professor Sheppard is a tenured full professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering & Materials Science. He currently serves as Senior Adviser to the Dean having been the Interim Dean of the School of Engineering & Science during the 18 months prior to appointment of Dean Jean Zu in May 2017. Prior to that Sheppard served as Associate Dean for Undergraduate Academics in the School over an extended period. In that role he was responsible for the School's undergraduate education enterprise, with particular emphasis on the core curricula in the engineering and sciences undergraduate programs.
- 1972-73 Coordinating Executive, Stats (MR) Ltd.. Birmingham, England
- 1973-75 Experimental Officer, Metals and Alloys Ltd., Birmingham, England
- 1979-80 Postdoctoral Research Associate, Stevens Institute of Technology
- 1980-81 Research Assistant Professor, Stevens Institute of Technology
- l981-86 Assistant Professor, Stevens Institute of Technology
- l986-92 Associate Professor, Stevens institute of Technology
- 1992- Professor, Stevens Institute of Technology, Department of Chemical Engineering & Materials Science
- 1997- Associate Dean of Engineering, Charles V. Schaefer, Jr., School of Engineering
- 2009-2015 Associate Dean of Engineering & Science, Charles V. Schaefer, Jr., School of Engineering and Science
- 2015-2017 Interim Dean of Engineering & Science, Charles V. Schaefer, Jr., School of Engineering and Science
- 2017 - Senior Adviser to The Dean
Professor Sheppard has consulted for over 30 years in the fields of corrosion, electrodeposition, failure analysis and materials testing
- Henry Morton Distinguished Teaching Professor award, 2009
- Honorary Master of Engineering degree - Stevens Institute of Technology, 1997
Affiliate Faculty Member of the Center for Innovation in Engineering & Science Education May 2012 - present.
- The Electrochemical Society
- National Member of the Society Board of Directors, 1991-93 Chair - Electrodeposition Division, 1991-93
- Local - New York Metropolitan Section Section Chair 1985-86
- National Association of Corrosion Engineers
- Member of Metropolitan New York Section
- American Society for Engineering Education
- Program Chair - Design in Engineering Division 2000-2002 Division Chair - Design in Engineering Division 2002-2004
- K. Sheppard, C. Christodoulatos, K. Abel, L. Brunell, S. Furnbach, V. Hazelwood, K. Pochiraju, E. Hole, B. McNair and T. Lechler. (Jun 2015). "A Pilot for Integrating Capstone Design with a Two-Semester Innovation & Entrepreneurship Course Sequence", American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference Proceedings, Seattle, Washington.
- K. Sheppard, J. Nastasi, E. Hole. (Jun 2012). "A Pilot for Multidisciplinary Capstone Design Incorporating a Systems Engineering Framework", American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference Proceedings, San Antonio, Texas.
- K. Sheppard, P. Dominick and E. Blicharz. (Jun 2009). "Peer and Self Assessment in Developing Team Skills in a Core Design Sequence", American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference Proceedings.
- R. Jain, K. Sheppard, E. McGrath and B. Gallois. (Mar 2008). "Promoting Systems Thinking in Engineering and Pre-Engineering Students", Conference Proceedings, West Point, N.Y.. American Society for Engineering Education Zone 1 .
- K. Sheppard, P. Dominick and E. Blicharz. (Jun 2008). "Developing Team-work Skills through a Core Design Thread", American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference Proceedings, Pittsburgh, PA.
- K. Sheppard, E. Blicharz, B. Gallois, R. Jain and I. Denholm. (Jun 2007). "Sensors and Systems in a Freshman Design Course", American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference Proceedings, Honolulu, HI.
- K.Sheppard, B. Gallois, R. Jain, J. Nastasi and E. Blicharz. (Jul 2006). "Evolution of The Freshman Year Engineering Core", Proceedings of the ICEE2006 Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- C. Jeong, J. Lee, K. Sheppard, and C-H Choi. (Sep 22, 2015). "Air-Impregnated Nanoporous Anodic Aluminum Oxide Layers for Enhancing the Corrosion Resistance of Aluminum", Langmuir, ACS Langmuir.
- K. Sheppard, A. Zagrai and D. Donskoy. (2007). "Non-Linear Acoustic Vibro-Modulation Technique for Detection and Monitoring of Contact-Type Defects, Including Those Due to Corrosion", Corrosion Reviews, 25 (1-2), 81-96.
- K. Sheppard, P. Dominic and Z. Aronson. (2004). "Preparing Engineering Students for the New Business Paradigm of International Teamwork and Global Orientation - Creating Effective Virtual Teams", International Journal of Engineering Education, 20 (3).
- E. McGrath and K. Sheppard. (2008). "Growing a Culture of Intellectual Inquiry in Engineering Education & Research", INNOVATIONS 2008, World Innovations in Engineering Education and Research, 497-510.
- MT 533 Environmental Degradation of Materials
- E 101 Engineering Experiences I
- H 186 Research Seminar IV