24 Jun 2013
June 24, 2013

Student Spotlight: Chelsea Shupe

How did you get involved with Solar Decathlon?

It was suggested to my senior design team and we all loved that idea of being a part of this major project

Are you excited for the Xpo in Irvine, California? What are you planning on doing during your stay?

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to attend the competition in California.

What is your major and how are you contributing your skills to the project.

I am a Business and Technology student with a concentration in Finance. I am actually a very good communicator, so I don’t mind reaching out to companies and asking for donations.

What Solar Decathlon team are you a part of?

Fundraising

What is your specific role in the project? What innovations have you personally made to the house?

My role in this project is to work with the companies, whose products we are using in the home, to get items and cash donated. Currently, I have gotten our ceiling fans donated from the company Big Ass Fans.

Are you planning on aiding in the construction of the house?

I’m sure I will swing a hammer at some point in this project.

Once the seniors graduate, do you think the Stevens team will be able to still accomplish it’s goals?

The Fundraising team has already begun to recruit juniors who will be replacing us. We are working now to ensure that we only pick the most motivated and hard working students for the job.

Do you have any ideas for spreading the news about Ecohabit?

We have a few events coming up on campus that will help to raise awareness and once we break ground on the house I’m sure a lot of people will want to know more about the home.

Is this your first Solar Decathlon competition? If not, how does this experience compare to the one you had building Empowerhouse?

This is my first competition.

What skills have you acquired throughout the preparation for Solar D?

I have found that all I have to do is ask and people are willing to donate to a project like this.

How will you use these skills in your future career in industry or academia?

I think knowing that all I have to do is ask is a good bit of knowledge to hold on to. Many people are afraid of rejection and they let it control their actions. I know that asking for something I want or need cannot hurt.

What keeps you motivated to stay on the team and continue to work on the house?

My current motivation is knowing that we have such a large amount of money that needs to be raised and such a short amount of time to do it.

What is one fun fact you want people to know about you?

If I hadn’t dropped out of Clown College I would be a world-class juggler.