| A. K. Ganguly|
| A. K. Ganguly|
|Distinguished Research Professor of Chemistry; Associate Director for Research|
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Chemistry, Chemical Biology & Biomedical Engineering|
|Program: Chemistry & Chemical Biology / Chemistry|
|Research & Education|
- Ph.D., Imperial College of Science and Technology, University of London, 1962
formerly Senior Vice President of Chemical Research, Schering-Plough Research Institute, Kenilworth, NJ
- Our group is interested in various aspects of design and synthesis of biologically active molecules
- We have recently completed and published the total synthesis of (-)himgaline, a member of the biologically active alkaloids of the himbacine family. It represents a complex structure with five fused rings and several asymmetric centers
- We are also interested in designing novel heterocyclic structures, which could serve as a starting point in drug discovery. Toward this end we have conceived and synthesised highly condensed novel heterocycles based on the structures of biologically active erythrina alkaloids. These are "unnatural" natural products, wherein some of the presumed metabolic sites of the natural products have been replaced by drug like functionalities, which are expected to be more stable against P-450 enzymes
- We are continuing our work toward design and synthesis of conformationally restricted drug molecules
- We are contributing to India's CSIR Open Source Drug Discovery (OSDD) efforts.
|Achievements & Professional Societies|
|Patents & Inventions|
|Honors & Awards|
- 2003, A.C.S, E. B. Hershberg Award for Important Discoveries in Medicinally Active Substances
- 2004, Stevens Institute of Technology, Doctor of Engineering, Honoris Causa
- 2004, Indian Chemical Society, Lifetime achievement award
- 2006, Thomas Alva Edison Award
- 2007, A.C.S., "Hall of Fame," Medicinal Chemistry
- 2011, John G. Topliss Award
Publications selected from 219 papers.... (Complete List) .
C. H. Wang et al. (2012). "Novel synthesis and functionalization of ortho-ortho disubstituted biphenyls and a highly condensed novel heterocycle using radical cyclization reaction", Tetrahedron, 68 9750-9762.
Abdelselam Ali , Teresa Cablewski, Craig L. Francis, Ashit K. Ganguly, Roger M. Sargent, David G. Sawutz, Kevin N. Winzenberg. (2011). "Phenylimidazo[1,2-b]pyridazine derivatives highly active against Haemonchus contortus", Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 21 4160-4163.
Ashit K. Ganguly, Sesha S. Alluri, Danielle Caroccia, Dipshikha Biswas, Chih-Hung Wang, Eunhee Kang, Yong Zhang, Andrew T. McPhail, Steven S. Carroll, Christine Burlein, Vandna Munshi, Peter Orth, Corey Strickland. (2011). "Design, Synthesis, and X-ray Crystallographic Analysis of a Novel Class of HIV-1 Protease Inhibitor", Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 54 7176 - 7183.
S. Alluri, H. Feng, M. Livings, L. Samp, D. Biswas, T. W. Lam, E. Lobkovsky, A. K. Ganguly. (2011). "A convenient enantioselective synthesis of 3-asymmetrically substituted oxindoles as progesterone receptor antagonists ", Tetrahedron Letter, 52 3945 - 3948.
C.H. Wang et al. (2010). "Synthesis and Atropisomerism of 2,2'-ortho Disubstituted Biphenyls", Tetrahedron Letters, 51 6213-6215.
D. Biswas, L. Samp, A. K. Ganguly. (2010). "Synthesis of Conformationally Restricted Sulfonamides via Radical Cyclisation", Tetrahedron Letters, 51 2681-2684.
(2009). "A Convenient Synthesis of ortho-ortho Disubstituted Biphenyls Containing an Eight-membered Lactam Ring Using Radical Chemistry", Tetrahedron Letters, 50 (17), 1879-1881.
(2008). "Posaconazole (Noxafil, SCH56592), a New Azole Antifungal Drug, Was a Discovery Based on the Isolation and Mass Spectral Characterization of a Circulating Metabolite of an Earlier Lead (SCH 51048) ", Journal of Mass Spectrometry, 43 509-517.
(2008). "Mass Spectrometric Studies of Potent Inhibitors of Farnesyl Protein Transferase - Detection of Pentameric Noncovalent Complexes", Journal of Mass Spectrometry, 43 1393-1401.
(2007). "Some Aspects of Medicinal Chemistry at the Schering-Plough Research Institute", Comprehensive Medicinal Chemistry II, 8 29-.
(2006). "Total Synthesis of (-)Himgaline", Journal of the American Chemical Society, 128 12654.
(2006). "Synthesis of Novel Heterocycles Based on the Structures of Erythrina Alkaloids", Tetrahedron Letters, 47 5539.
(2006). "Synthesis of Oxygen Heterocycles", Tetrahedron Letters, 47 1347.
(2005). "Structure Determination and Conformation Analysis of Symmetrical Dimers", Magn. Reson. Chem., 43 187.
(2005). "Synthesis and Properties of 3-acyl-γ-pyrones: a Novel Class of Flavones and Chromones", Tetrahedron Letters, 46 4119.
(2004). "Synthesis of Highly Condensed Heterocycles Using Radical Reactions", Tetrahedron Letters, 45 8909.
(2004). "Synthesis of Heterocyclic Compounds Using Radical Reactions and Evidence for the Formation of Spiro Radical Intermediates", Tetrahedron Letters, 45 883.
(2002). "Solution- and Solid-phase Synthesis of Enantiomerically Pure Spiro Oxindoles", Tetrahedron Letters, 43 8981.
(2002). "Synthesis of Heterocyclic Compounds Using Radical Reactions", Tetrahedron Letters, 43 6865.
(2001). "Farnesyl Protein Transferase Inhibition: A Novel Approach to Antitumor Therapy", Current Medicinal Chemistry, 8 1419.
(2000). "Ziracin: a Novel Oligosaccharide Antibiotic", The Journal of Antibiotics (Japan), 53 1038.
(2000). "Enantioselecitve Synthesis of Carbocyclic Ribavarin and Its Analogs", Tetrahedron Letters, 41 9575.
(1999). "Tricyclic Farnesyl Protein Transferase Inhibitors: Crystallographic and Calorimetric Studies of Structure-Activity Relationships", J. Med. Chem., 42 2125.
(1999). "Chemical Modifications and Structure-Activity Studies of Ziracin and Related Everninomicin Antibiotics", Bioorganic & Medicinal Chem. Letters, 9 1209.
(1997). "Determination of the Absolute Stereochemistry of Ziracin, a Novel Antibiotic", Tetrahedron Letters, 38 7989.
Shah U.; Chackalamannil, S.; Ganguly, A.K.. (2008). Total Synthesis of Galbulimima Alkaloids: Himgaline and GB13, Verlag-DM.
Pramanik, Birendra N.; Ganguly, A.K.; Gross, Michael L.. (2002). Applied Electrospray Mass Spectrometry, Marcel Dekker.