|Dr. Matthew R. Libera|
|Dr. Matthew R. Libera|
|Professor & Associate Dean of Engineering & Science|
|Location:||B-010 Burchard Building|
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Chemical Engineering & Materials Science|
|Program: Materials Science / Nanotechnology|
|Research & Education|
- Polymeric biomaterials and hydrogels
- Biomaterials-associated infection
- Electron microscopy
- Electron-beam lithography
- Electron energy-loss spectroscopy
- Sc.D. (1987) MIT, Cambridge, MA,
Advisors: John Vander Sande and Morris Cohen
- S.M. (1983) MIT, Cambridge, MA, Materials Science
- B.S. (1981) Lafayette College, Metallurgical Engineering
|Experience & Service|
- 1989- present, Professor Stevens Institute of Technology
- 1992- present, Executive Director, Laboratory for Multiscale Imaging
- 1996-97, Visiting Scientist, Robert L. Mitchell Technical Center, Hoescht-Celanese Corporation, Summit, NJ
- 1988-89; Visiting Scientist; IBM Research Division; Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA
- 1987-1988 Post-Doctoral Research Associate, MIT, Cambridge, MA
Member of the Stevens Board of Trustees, 2011 - 2013
|Achievements & Professional Societies|
|Honors & Awards|
- Morton Professorship for Excellence in Teaching 2010-2011
- Master of Engineering, Honorus Causa,
Stevens Institute of Technology, 2003
- Jess N. Davis Award for Exemplary Research, 1998
- Alexander Humphreys Award
for Outstanding Teaching, 1997
- Materials Research Society Student Award,
- Microscopy Society of America,
Presidential Scholar, 1986
|Patents & Inventions|
U.S. Patent 8,093,009 Surface Differentially Adhesive to Bacteria and Eukaryotic Cells
- The American Society for
the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- The Society for Biomaterials
- The Materials Research Society (MRS)
- The Microscopy Society of America (MSA)
Q. Wang, X. Yu, and M. Libera. "Peptide-loaded self-assembled microgels reduce bacterial colonization in 3-D nanofiber cell scaffolds", Advanced Healthcare Materials, in press (2012).
Y. Wang, G. Subbiahdoss, J. de Vries, M. Libera, H.C. van der Mei, and H.J. Busscher. "Effect of adsorbed fibronectin on the differential adhesion of osteoblast-like cells and Staphylococcus aureus with and without fibronectin-binding proteins", Biofouling, 2012. 28(9): p. 1011-1021.
R.F. Egerton, S. Lazar, and M. Libera. "Delocalized radiation damage in polymers", Micron, 43 (1): (2012) 2-7.
X. Dai, W. Yang, E. Firlar, S. Marras, and M. Libera. "Surface-patterned microgel-tethered molecular beacons", Soft Matter, 8 ( ): (2012) 3067-3076.
Q. Wang, E. Uzunoglu, Y. Wu, and M. Libera. "Self-assembled poly(ethylene glycol) -co- acrylic acid microgels to inhibit bacterial colonization of synthetic surfaces", Applied Materials and Interfaces, 4 (5): (2012) 2498-2506.
Y. Wang, G. Subbiahdoss, J. Swartjes, H.C. van der Mei, H.J. Busscher, and M. Libera. "Length-Scale Mediated Differential Adhesion of Mammalian Cells and Microbes", Advanced Functional Materials, 21 (20): (2011) 3916-3923.
Y. Wu, X. Yu, J. Zitelli, K. TenHuisen, and M. Libera. (2010). "Differential response of staphylococci and osteoblasts to varying titanium surface roughness", Biomaterials, 32 (4): (2011) 951-960.
M. Libera and R. Egerton. (2010). "Advances in the Transmission Electron Microscopy of Polymers", Polymer Reviews, 50 (3), 321-339.
S. Yakovlev, M. Misra, S. Shi, E. Firlar, and M. Libera. (2010). "Nanoscale water mapping in hydrated biological materials by low-loss electron energy-loss spectroscopy", Ultramicroscopy. 50 866-876.
P. Krsko, J. Kaplan, and M. Libera. (2009). "Spatially controlled bacterial adhesion using surface-patterned poly(ethylene glycol) hydrogels.", Acta Biomaterialia. 5 589-596.
P. Krsko, T. McCann, T.-T. Thach, T. Laabs, H. Geller, and M. Libera. (2009). "Length-Scale Mediated Adhesion and Directed Growth of Neural Cells by Surface-Patterned Poly(ethylene glycol) Hydrogels", Biomaterials. 30 721-729.
S. Yakovlev, M. Misra, S. Shi, and M. Libera. (2009). "Specimen thickness dependence of hydrogen evolution during cryo-transmission electron microscopy of hydrated soft materials", Journal of Microscopy. 236 (3), 174-179.
M. Sengonul, A. Sousa, and M. Libera. (2009). "Selective adsorption of surface-modified ferritin on a phase-separated polymer blend", Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 73 (1), 152-155.
G. Kim, A. Sousa, D. Myers, and M. Libera. (2008). "Nanoscale composition of biphasic polymer nanocolloids in solution measured by spatially resolved EELS in the cryo-STEM", Microscopy and Microanalysis. 14 (5), 459-468.