VPN on Windows XP with Split Tunneling
Campus Domain Account Required
A Campus Domain Account is required to access some services on this page. To change or reset your password, use the Stevens Password Service.
Graduate students do not have campus domain accounts created automatically and MUST REQUEST ONE.
If you are trying to access the Library Databases do not use Split Tunneling
Who can use this?
You must have a Windows Campus domain login to use the VPN server.
Campus Domain Accounts for Graduate Students
Graduate students do not have Campus Domain Accounts created automatically and MUST REQUEST ONE.
Only graduate students who are currently enrolled in a course are eligible for a campus domain account.
Configuration Instructions for Split Tunneling in Windows XP
Step 1: Open the New Connection Window
- Right click on the Local Area Connection icon on your taskbar and select Open Network Connections or you can go to Start then click on Control Panel and then go to Network Connections
- Under Network Connections double click on New Connection Wizard and click Next
- Or in classic view, under Network Tasks click Create a new connection and click Next
Step 2: Choose to create a VPN connection
- Select the radio button Connect to the network at my workplace and click Next
- Select the radio button Virtual Private Network connection and click Next
Step 3: Enter the VPN Server
- Type in Stevens VPN Split Tunnel and click Next
- Select the radio button Do not dial the initial connection and click Next
- Type the name of the VPN Server, which is: vpn.stevens.edu and click Next
- Select the radio button Do not use my smart card and click Next
- Select the radio button My Use Only and click Next
- Select Finish But you are not finished yet, you must keep reading, further setup is required to have a working VPN profile
Step 4: Configure Security Options
- Select Properties
- On the Security tab, make sure the radio button labeled Typical (recommended settings) is selected
- Make sure that under Validate my identity as follows Require secured password is choosen.
- Finally, ensure that the box next to Require data encryption (disconnect if none is checked.
- Click IPSec Settings
- Check Use pre-shared key for authentication box and add SITvpn for the key. Click Ok
- For the "Type of VPN:" Select "L2TP IPSec VPN" and click OK.
- Click Cancel
Step 5: Enabling Split Tunneling
- In your Network Connections menu, right click on the Stevens VPN Split Tunnel connection and click on Properties
- Your VPN properties window will now open. Click on the Networking tab, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on Properties
- Click on the Networking tab and then click on Advanced
- Uncheck the box Use the default gateway on remote network and click Ok until you are back at Network Connection
Step 6: Connect
Double click on your new VPN entry Stevens VPN. You can now type your campus domain user name and password and click connect
If you are unable to connect, please check our VPN Troubleshooting tips.