Fingerprint Reader 8540w
Validity, the manufacturer of the Biometric Device used by the Class 2014 Laptop (Elitebook 8540w) has not released a standalone driver compatible with Windows 7 Professional. If you wish to use your fingerprint scanner for logging into your machine or websites, you will have to install HP ProtectTools Security Manager. This application features working drivers, however is bulky and attempts to manage more than just your Windows password. It also has an active bug which dumps temporary information into files which can accumulate to fill up your hard drive. HP is aware of these issues and we expect a fix in the near future. We recommend that users do not install this application if they wish to have only their Windows password managed with the fingerprint reader. Below, you can find instructions for installing and setting up HP ProtectTools Security Manager if you choose to use it.
HP ProtectTools Installation Guide
Download the installer from the HP Website: Direct Link
1. Double-click the installation file. It should be called SP47500.exe
2. When prompted if you want to run this file, click Run.
3. Press Next.
4. Select I accept the terms in the license agreement, then click Next.
5. Click Next.
6. Click Install.
7. Once the installation has completed, click Finish.
8. When prompted to restart your computer, save your work, then press Yes.
1. Once your machine reboots, you will be asked to set up your fingerprints. To do this, click Next.
2. Ensure that only Windows Logon Security is selected then press Next.
3. De-select Smart Card and ensure that Fingerprints is selected. Then press Next.
4. Click on the finger you'd like to enroll.
5. Swipe your finger three times or until the software is satisfied.
6. Select another finger and enroll it. You MUST enroll at least two fingers.
7. Once you've finished enrolling your fingers, press Next.
8. At this point the wizard will complete, click Finish.
9. You will be asked to restart your machine, save your work, then press Yes.