|Line 195:||Line 195:|
* 256 MB RAM
* 256 MB RAM
* 20 MB free disk space
* 20 MB free disk space
Revision as of 08:30, 10 June 2013
Combining the capabilities of industry leaders Wimba and Elluminate, Blackboard Collaborate provides a comprehensive online learning and collaboration platform designed specifically for education. It is helping thousands of higher education, K-12, professional, corporate, and government organizations worldwide deliver a more effective learning experience through online, blended, and mobile learning. And it will help you open up all-new aspects of real time, or anytime, learning to engage more students and improve outcomes.
Supported Operating Systems
A list of supported browsers and operating systems can be found below.
- Certified: fully tested and supported.
- Compatible: partially tested and supported.
- Provisional: untested but supported.
- Unsupported: impossible or not supported.
|Internet Explorer 8||Internet Explorer 9||Internet Explorer 10||Firefox*||Chrome**|
|Safari 4.0||Safari 5.0||Safari 5.1||Safari 6.0***||Firefox*||Chrome**|
|Mac OS 10.6||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Unsupported||Compatible||Compatible|
|Mac OS 10.7||Unsupported||Unsupported||Unsupported||Compatible||Compatible||Unsupported|
|Mac OS 10.8||Unsupported||Unsupported||Unsupported||Certified||Certified||Unsupported|
|Firefox (latest Stable Release)*|
|Ubuntu 11.10 (64 bit with 64 bit JVM)||Compatible|
*For information on Firefox's public development channels, refer to Firefox's Releases Page. All other Firefox channels are unsupported.
**For information on Chrome's release channels, refer to the Chrome Release Channels page. All other Chrome channels are unsupported. Please Note: Chrome does not support Java 7 on the Mac platform. A 64-bit browser (Safari or Firefox, for example) is required to run Java 7 on Mac OS X. 32-bit browsers such as Chrome do not support Java 7 on the Mac platform.
***Recent security changes released by Apple may affect web conferencing customers using Safari 6.0.3 to launch Collaborate sessions. The security changes no longer allow users to auto-launch JNLP files.
Supported Java Versions
Please refer to this page for installing Java.
Note: 32 bit operating systems require a 32 bit JVM. 64 bit operating systems require a 64 bit JVM.
|Operating System||Java Versions (JRE)|
|Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8||1.6, 1.7 (Java SE & Java SE 7), Java Access Bridge 2.0.1|
|Mac OS X||Apple Java 1.5.0_16 +(JS2E5-32 bit), Apple Java 1.6.0_07 +(JS2E5-64 bit), Oracle Java 1.7|
|Linux||1.6, 1.7 (Java SE 6 & Java SE 7), 64 bit JVMs with 64 bit Operating Systems|
- 256 MB RAM
- 20 MB free disk space
- Internet Access - 28.8 kbps speed or above (Broadband connection highly recommended)
- Soundcard with microphone and headphones (A headset with microphone/headphones is highly recommended)
- Webcam (optional)
- Note: Thin client solutions such as Citrix Metaframe are not supported for use with Blackboard Collaborate web conferencing.
Using Blackboard Collaborate
|Creating Room and Logging In||Link|
|Inviting External Attendees||Link|
|Adding Recording Links to Moodle||Link|
|Setting Maximum Number of Talkers/Cameras||Link|
|Doing a Web Tour||Link|
|Doing a Poll||Link|
|Creating Private Team Rooms||Link|
|**************************Recorded Demos from Blackboard**************************||Link|
- Essentials for Participants (HTML)
- Participant's Guide (HTML)
- Accessibility Guide (HTML | PDF)
- Getting Started for Participants Quick Reference Guide (PDF)
- Participant Orientation (recording)
- Getting Started with Mobile (Android) Web Conferencing for Participants Quick Reference Guide (PDF)
- Getting Started with Mobile (iOS) Web Conferencing for Participants Quick Reference Guide (PDF)
- Mobile for iOS User's Guide (HTML for desktop | HTML for mobile device)
- Mobile for Android User's Guide (PDF) (HTML for mobile device)
- Getting Started for Moderators Quick Reference Guide (PDF)
- Essentials for Moderators (HMTL)
- Moderator's Guide (HTML)
- Accessibility Guide (HTML | PDF)
- Overview for Moderators (recording (JNLP))
- Mobile (Android) Web Conferencing Session Management Tips for Moderators (PDF)
- Mobile (iOS) Web Conferencing Session Management Tips for Moderators (PDF)
- Plan Installation and Registration Guide (PDF)
- Plan User's Guide (PDF)
- Publish Installation and User's Guide (PDF)
- MODERATOR TOOLS
- Introduction to the Participants Panel (PDF)
- Using the Audio & Video Panel (PDF)
- Using Chat (PDF)
- Audio Setup Wizard (PDF)
- Loading a PowerPoint File ([PDF])
- Using the Whiteboard (PDF | recording (JNLP))
- Using the Polling Feature Wizard (PDF)
- Using Application Sharing (PDF | recording (JNLP))
- Using Web Tour (PDF | recording (JNLP))
- Using Telephony (PDF)
- Getting Started with Recordings (PDF)
Moodle Learning Management System
- Introduction to Moodle Integration for Web Conferencing (recording)
- Scheduling a Web Conferencing Session in Moodle (PDF)
- Blackboard Collaborate Moodle Integration for Web Conferencing User’s Guide (HTML) (PDF)
- Moodle Integration for Blackboard Collaborate Voice Admnistration Guide (PDF)
- Moodle Integration for Blackboard Collaborate Voice User Guide (HTML) (PDF)
Creating Presentations (Plan)
http://www.blackboard.com/Platforms/Collaborate/Products/Blackboard-Collaborate/Web-Conferencing/Plan.aspx blackboard plan for making presentations prior to the lession
Creating Videos (Publish)
- Publish download link
Recordings available, anytime Most web conferencing events are recorded so that students can play them back as many times as needed. Instructors may also create pre-recorded or "on-demand" events that cover a specific topic or assignment. Links to these on-demand events are available in the online course.
Tips and Hints
Unstable connection while connected over wireless - A poor wireless connection can be the cause of frequent outages. A wired connection provides a more reliable connection to the Blackboard media server. A wired connection also eliminates network lapses, which ensures a better connection. When using a wireless connection, you are subject to choppy audio, audio\video misalignment, and frequent disconnects. It is best to use a wired connection in order to establish a stable connection with the Blackboard media server.
Echo feedback disrupting synchronous Blackboard Live Classroom session - This issue typically arises when more than one person in the class attempts to use the Lock Talk feature in conjunction with utilizing their desktop or laptop speakers instead of using headphones. The audio from the speakers is recorded by the microphone and, since the microphone is in the Lock Talk mode, that audio creates an echo loop that will not cease until Lock Talk is turned off. In order to avoid this echo feedback, users should use headphones instead of external speakers. Alternatively, only the main speaker should ever use the Lock Talk feature
Delay in the audio transmission in Live Classroom - If you experience a delay in the audio signal where the sound seems to lag behind the slides, this can mean that you have a poor connection to the Blackboard media server. Using a lower-level internet connection such as dial-up or connecting during times of excessive network traffic can cause this issue. To alleviate this, it is recommended to use the Live Classroom phone simulcast option. This feature can also be used when your system does not have audio capabilities. The feature will allow you to listen to the audio feed over the phone while you view the slide presentation on the computer. To find out the phone simulcast info, (1) click the phone icon in the media bar, (2) go to the Blackboard Live Classroom lobby and click on the phone icon just under the Enter Room button or (3) type /phone in the chat area.
Error Code Table
The following table lists some commonly encountered error codes and their respective solutions.
|132||JSecureDoor Error||This error sometimes occurs during the setup process. It will cause the user to lose audio or the capability to see slides in a session. This error occurs when there is an incompatibility between Microsoft Vista and Java.||To resolve the issue, please download and install the newest version of Java from www.java.com or by following this guide|
|142||Unable to Download Door Archive||This error occurs when Blackboard did not install successfully.||To resolve the issue, please run the Setup Wizard again to ensure that the software is installed completely.|
|160||Invalid Door Archive||This error occurs when Java is either outdated, or improperly installed.||To resolve the issue, please download and install the newest version of Java from www.java.com or by following this guide|