When is Authenticated SMTP needed?
At this time (April 6, 2009) authenticated SMTP is only required when sending email from your Stevens address while off campus or while off campus and connected through the VPN.
Instructions - Outlook
The configuration for Authenticated SMTP must be done on a per-email account basis. First open Account Settings from the options top-menu. Then highlight your email account and click (Edit/Change). This will open the account settings windows.
In order to send email from off-campus, authenticated SMTP must be used.
- Click the More Settings... and select the Outgoing Server tab.
- Check the box next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
- Select the Use same settings as my incoming mail server radio button.
- Now change to the Advanced Settings tab.
- Verify that the outgoing port is set 587.
- Select OK.