VPN on Windows 7 - Split Tunneling
If you are trying to access the Library Databases do not use Split Tunneling
Who can use this?
All current Stevens students, staff and faculty with computer accounts.
Configuration Instructions for Split Tunneling in Windows 7
Step 1: Open Network and Sharing Center
- Click the Start icon and press Control Panel
- Under Network and Internet, click View Network Status and Tasks
Step 2: Connect to a Workplace
- Click Set up a New Connection or Network
- Choose to Connect to a Workplace and click Next
Step 3: "Use My Internet Connection"
- Choose Use my Internet connection (VPN)
Step 4: Type the Internet Address
- For the Internet address type: vpn.stevens.edu
- For the Destination name type: Stevens VPN Split Tunnel
- Also, make sure to check the box next to Don't connect now; just set it up so I can connect later
Step 5: Type your user name and password
Type in your Stevens username and Password and click Create. You may choose to check the "Remember this password" box, but this is not recommended as anyone with access to the machine now has access to your Stevens account.
Step 6: Click Close
Once it says The connection is ready to use, do not click on connect now, rather click on Close
Step 7: Open the Network and Sharing Center Again
Now that the connection has been created, we need to edit a few of the settings, so open the Network and Sharing Center and click Connect to a Network
Step 8: Select the Stevens VPN Split Tunnel
A window in the bottom right will appear. Right click on the connection Stevens VPN Split Tunnel and click on Properties
Step 9: Change IPsec Settings
On the Security tab
- For the "Type of VPN:" Select Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPsec (L2TP/IPsec)
- Click on the Advanced Settings button
Once the box pops up, click on Use preshared key for authentication and type SITvpn for the key. Click on Ok
Step 10: Change IPv4 Settings
Under the Networking tab
- Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click on the button that says Properties
Once that box pops up, click on the Advanced button.
Under the IP Settings tab, uncheck the box next to Use Default gateway on remote network and click Ok
Step 11: Start the Connection
Double click on Stevens VPN Split Tunnel
Step 12: Enter your Stevens account Credentials
Enter in your Stevens username and password in the boxes
Step 13: Select a location
Select a location for this network
If you are unable to connect, please check our VPN Troubleshooting tips.