Outlook 2013 Exchange
Note: This article is intended for faculty and staff who have been migrated over to the Microsoft Exchange Server. All other Stevens Users should reference the documentation on IMAP and POP3.
Microsoft Outlook 2013 is a part of Microsoft Office 2013. By default, it is part of the Microsoft Office package and is installed alongside the other Microsoft Office 2013 applications. These are the steps necessary to set up Microsoft Outlook 2013 for use with a Stevens Email account via the Microsoft Exchange Server.
Account Set-up Instructions
Step 1: Open the Mail Setup window in Control Panel
Make sure Microsoft Outlook 2013 is not currently running before proceeding with the following steps.
- In Microsoft Windows 7 click on the start menu and select the Control Panel listing to open the Control Panel window.
- In the upper right section of the Control Panel window select Large Icons from the dropdown labeled View by.
- Scroll through the list of icons and double-click on the Mail icon to open the Mail Setup window.
Step 2: Open the Account Settings Window
In the Mail Setup window, click on the button labeled E-mail Accounts... towards the top of the window. This will open the Account Settings pop-up window.
Step 3: Add a New Account
Click on the New button in the upper left hand corner of the Account Settings window. This will open a window called Add New Account.
Step 4: Enter your information
In the Add New Account window, make sure the bubble next to E-mail Account is filled and fill out the following fields:
- Your Name: Enter your name here as you wish it to be seen by others in their contacts.
- E-mail Address: Enter your Stevens E-mail address here in the form of yourStevensusername@stevens.edu
- Password: Enter your current Stevens password here.
- Retype Password: Re-enter your current Stevens password here.
Step 5: Proceed through account configuration
Click the Next button in the lower right hand section of the Add New Account window to proceed.
Step 6: Complete account addition and restart Outlook
If all of the information you entered in Step 3 is correct, then Outlook will automatically configure your email settings. Once this is complete click on the Finish button in the lower right hand section of the Add New Account window and then restart Outlook for the changes to take effect.
Migrating Local Contacts
Note: You can skip Step 1 if your contacts are already view-able in Outlook.
Step 1: Open Local Outlook Data File
- In the upper left section of Outlook click on the File dropdown.
- Next click on the Open & Export option in the left hand section of the File
- Click on the Open Outlook Data File option and browse to your Data File and open it.
Step 2: Copy Contacts from Local Outlook Data File
- Towards the bottom of Outlook, click on the People tab.
- Under the My Contacts Header in the upper left section of Outlook, select the Local Outlook Data File you just opened.
- Click on a contact in the contact list and press ctrl+A to select all of the contacts.
Step 3: Move the Local Contacts to the Microsoft Exchange Account
- Towards the upper central area of your screen, click on the Move icon and select Copy to Folder... from the dropdown menu.
- Select the Contacts folder under the Microsoft Exchange Account and click OK.
Your Local contacts will not be migrated into the Microsoft Exchange Account.
Remove Previous non-Exchange Email Account
- In the upper left section of Outlook, click on the File button.
- Towards the center of the screen, click on the icon labeled Account Settings and select Account Settings from the dropdown menu. This will open the Account Settings window.
Step 2: Remove the Previous Email Account
- Highlight the previous account by clicking on it in the middle of the Account Settings window and click on the Remove button near the center left of the window.
The previous email account has now been removed from Outlook.