Configuring Outlook for use with your myStevens Account
For step by step instructions on how to set up Microsoft Outlook for use with myStevens mail, please see our step by step guide:
Why am I getting over quota warnings and how do I fix this problem?
You get a quota warning if your emails and files on your email account exceed your quota. To fix the problem you need to delete any old or unwanted emails in Inbox and messages in the Sent folder. Check your sent mail folder(s) and delete the unwanted messages. If you use a browser like Firefox or Internet Explorer you can go to myStevens and login using your myStevens Account credentials. Once you're in myStevens, click on MyMail. From the 'Select Folder:; dropdown, choose sent-mail, you will see your sent mail messages on the server. Select whatever you want to delete, and do so.
Why am I unable to send email while off-campus?
- Stevens requires that off-campus users use Authenticated SMTP to send email via nexus.stevens.edu. Make sure you have followed the step by step directions for configuring your version of Outlook.
- It is a known problem that some ISPs block the use of smtp servers other than their own. In this case, in order to send email, you must configure your outgoing email server (SMTP) to use your ISPs server instead of nexus.stevens.edu
How do I change my name/identity from "Some User" to my personal name?
To fix the problem follow these steps:
- Open Microsoft Outlook
- Click on the Tools menu
- Select Accounts from the drop-down menu
- Click on the myStevens account listed in the window
- Look under Properties
- Enter your first and last name in the Name: field (e.g., Georgia M. Thomas) to replace the generic name Some User
- Enter your Stevens email address in the E-mail address: field (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org). This will replace the generic email@example.com account information which is causing the problems.
- Click Apply, then OK, then click Close on the previous window